PDA

View Full Version : Visitors

08-02-2011, 05:52 PM
OMG!!! At the end of my tether....just because I work from home people think that they can visit me whenever even though I am WORKING!!! Don't get me wrong, I love having people over. But when I've got a house full of kids it's not always practical.

The basis of my rant is that my parents (bless em) collect one of my own children from an after school club and when they bring her home, they expect to come in and have a cup of tea. This is the worst time of the day for me as I'm trying to get everyone fed, babies are tired and miserable and I'm dead on my feet. I find it really difficult to just drop everything and the house is going full pace. My parents think it's all madness at the best of times and they always leave shaking their heads, after making a few random comments and I'm left behind feeling so deflated by it all :(. This evening I was particularly snappy and when they left, they looked a bit shell shocked lol. I just don't know how to politetly tell them that its not convenient to pop in even though they have done me a massive favour by bringing one of my children home.

Chimps Childminding
08-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Oh I know that feeling!!!! My in-laws took to visiting me almost every week, day and time to suit them obviously :angry: Usually on my busiest day, just after lunch when I would be getting lo's down for a sleep. Would ring the doorbell and then ask if anyone was sleeping - well they might have been had you not rung the bell :rolleyes:

Mentioned to dh that they couldn't just visit him, or his sister at work, so why did they think it was ok to call in on me when I was working, it fell on deaf ears for ages. Thankfully (:blush: ) they no longer have a car, so we have to visit them :D

jane5
08-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Buy them a bunch of flowers and tell them you really appreciate the favour they do for you but explain that unfortunately it is the wrong time to visit and arrange a good time to see them.

They may be saying to each other that they dont like coming in after dropping your lo off because you have loads of kids there but may feel they have to.

I would try and be honest :thumbsup:

miffy
08-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Buy them a bunch of flowers and tell them you really appreciate the favour they do for you but explain that unfortunately it is the wrong time to visit and arrange a good time to see them.

I think this is a lovely idea and it should soothe any ruffled feathers :)

Miffy xx

button68
08-02-2011, 10:01 PM
When I started working I made it clear I WORK Wednesday - Friday.

Consequently my Visitor Book is virtually empty. In 3 years it is all.... Gas reader, Leccy reader and my dad coming to cut the grass when DH is away. All in all no more than 20 entries!!

angeldelight
08-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Oh I understand what you are saying but I would give anything for my parents to be able to pop in for a cuppa like that even if I was busy...they live in Spain so don't get to see them a lot so you are lucky.

But they have been here a few months now and they do sometimes forget that I am working and do expect me to drop everything if they popping in

I would be honest and tell them it's a hectic time for you but you don't want them to think you are throwing them out but maybe they could do their own drinks and go into the other room with your children while you stay in the kitchen feeding the children

That way you won't offend them or they will then realise you are busy and won't overstay their welcome or won't stay at all :laughing:

Good luck

Angel xx

glitzygal
08-02-2011, 11:19 PM
ITS VERY STRESSFULL,, i would ask if they wanted to take your children to there house for tea,, or give them a spoon to feed the baby/babies, get them reading to have quiet time,,, my kids love my mum poping in, she makes a bee line to sit with them while i carry on,,, then once they have had the visitors time for a bit, we carry on with clearing away while chatting,,:)

my mum knows we might not actually chat properly, but she likes seeing the kiddies......:laughing: she does have her uses,,,,,lol

the LO insit she takes them to the door, she knows the rules, she opens doors, so parents have a chat with her and i pop my head round to say hi and tell them anything important.,

and if they dont join in,,,,,,they might realise and just drop off your kids and go,,lol:thumbsup:

i think it can be a lonely job if you cant just have people popping in,,

buildingblocks
08-02-2011, 11:38 PM
As the previous poster says give them a spoon or a book and get them to help lol.

Seriously though we often have visitors usually CM 's so not a problem but our parents used to visit regularly (sadly no longer got the two Dads and my mum and hubby's mum can't get unless we pick up) and they knew if I was working they wouldn't get my full attention and if they turned up they would be expected to pitch in if it was mealtimes etc.