PDA

View Full Version : Toileting when out

munch149
08-02-2011, 01:26 PM
What do you do when out and about and you need the loo. Can't take three into cubicle and can't leave them? So Many times I have needed to go and had to go home as too much of a chaos when out. Even at childminding groups can I leave them in room for minute while I go or not

Carol M
08-02-2011, 01:54 PM
I always plan to have someone else responsible with me wherever we go. If at a childminding group just ask a minder known to you to watch the lo's whilst you go.
Carol xx

JCrakers
08-02-2011, 02:05 PM
It is a pain isnt it. I have a buggy and a 3.5yr old when we go out so I use the disabled loo so we can all get in.

Some people may not agree using the disabled loo but can't use the cubicles as the buggy wont fit in.
The other day I was desperate for loo so we went into starbucks and I positioned the pushchair so little one couldnt watch and 3.5yr old was positioned so she couldnt see either.
When I was washing my hands the 3yr old pipes up....I could see your bum becky !!! :blush: I'd forgotten there was a seethrough window in the buggy hood.....:blush:

Becky x

carolyn01
08-02-2011, 02:17 PM
I too use disabled toilet as im in and out so quick it wouldn't inconvenience anyone! The only trouble is sometimes when washing hands i've set off hand dryer and mindees end up screaming in fear as they don't understand what has happened!!!:panic:

Daftbat
08-02-2011, 02:51 PM
I have used the disbled loom when out too and wen at toddler groups I have asked a friend who is a childminder to watch the children or just take them with me. I don't really see any problem with children being with you whilst going to the loo - its all part of life really and what's the alternative? I for one am not yet ready for TENA lady!

singingcactus
08-02-2011, 03:57 PM
They're not 'disabled loo's', (they should be working properly :) ) they are easy access loo's, this means they are designed to accommodate those who cannot easily access small cubicles.
That would be us!!

Deb
08-02-2011, 05:38 PM
of course you can leave them at minding group, with the other minders, whilst you go to the loo. I also use the 'disabled' loos. That term is a bug bear of mine too.

francinejayne
08-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I have written permission to leave mindees for a couple of minutes for such times as when I need to go to the toilet, or I need to accompany a child to the toilet. The permission says that I will only leave the children with either another registered CM, or a close friend or relative of mine, and someone I would be happy to leave my own child with.

When I go out during the holidays for days out I make sure I am with another CM or friend so that I am covered for these situations.

When I go to playgroups I know other CMs or other mums who I ask to watch the children.

I'm now awaiting someone to come along to tell me this isn't OK?

Noomie
08-02-2011, 10:11 PM
It's not OK! You just don't get to go to the loo. Ever!

Hahahahaha :joker:

It is really hard.

sweets
08-02-2011, 10:13 PM
I have written permission to leave mindees for a couple of minutes for such times as when I need to go to the toilet, or I need to accompany a child to the toilet. The permission says that I will only leave the children with either another registered CM, or a close friend or relative of mine, and someone I would be happy to leave my own child with.

When I go out during the holidays for days out I make sure I am with another CM or friend so that I am covered for these situations.

When I go to playgroups I know other CMs or other mums who I ask to watch the children.

I'm now awaiting someone to come along to tell me this isn't OK?

it isn't ok im afraid, i think it is if you leave them with another tho. BUT i do it too! lol i meet up with a very good friend sometimes with her little boy for a play and if i take one of my mindees to the loo i will leave the others with her for a min or 2. i trust her completey and i wouldnt want to offend by taking all the LO's with me for no reason!

buildingblocks
08-02-2011, 10:27 PM
I am lucky as if I am out and about hubby is usually with me but when I first started I would use the 'disabled' loo and turn children around to the door - the conversations have been hilarious to anyone listening on the outside. If I as with someone I know then I would be leaving the children outside (with written permission of course) and if Ofsted said anything then I would inform them that if I have no choice then it would be different but it has to be healthier under safeguarding issues to leave them outside with a responsible adult then inside where they could see anything and everything.

At Drop in groups I am always with CM's I know o it is not a problem and at one of the groups i would trust the CC staff for the few minutes it takes to go to the loo.

Just one thing it might be worth mentioning our LA staff had a word with me once about doing this and told me it wasn't allowed as I had made the CM I had left my mindee with over her numbers and therefore she was breaking her registration!!!!!! someone had reported this to her and she was phoning to find out why and for what reason. So I informed her she need to get her facts right as my friend wasn't over her numbers as she was one child down that morning so she was in her numbers, I had written permission from my parents to do it and then started quoting that in fact my parents would prefer me to leave my child with another CM then to expose myself to their child unless it was absolutely necessary.

Noomie
08-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Honestly, a CM outside their numbers! How long does it take to go to the loo and for someone to be supervising one extra kid?

I know there are rules and why these rules exist but where has blooming common sense gone?