PDA

View Full Version : Asthma?

chels55
19-04-2008, 03:20 PM
If a child has asthma and uses an inhaler himself will i need to write up a seperate policy just on asthma or will it just come under the medication policy?
In the NCMA medication folder there's a sheet for permission to administer medication as child would do this himself do i still record it whenever he uses inhaler and just get parent to sign.

fionamal
19-04-2008, 04:21 PM
I have a permission form that the parent of one of my mindees has signed to say that her son or I can administer the inhalers as and when required.

I then record it in his dairy so that its written down there as well.

sarah707
19-04-2008, 09:09 PM
You could write yourself an asthma policy if you want to - you will find lots of advice on the illness here -

http://www.asthma.org.uk/

Tbh, most of what you would do in a crisis will be on your emergency policy anyway - you ought to check that to see whether it states what you would do if a child has an asthma attack needing hospitalisation and whether you would go to hospital with the child.

You need training on the child's inhaler / spacer if you are going to be responsible for giving it... training is specific to the child so even if you are an expert on your own child, you need training for someone else's child.

Apart from that, it's just ongoing medication permission. Parent signs to say you can help / support/ administer and then signs when you have noted that it's done.

Hope this helps. :D

mrsmaggy
22-11-2011, 02:03 PM
You could write yourself an asthma policy if you want to - you will find lots of advice on the illness here -

http://www.asthma.org.uk/

Tbh, most of what you would do in a crisis will be on your emergency policy anyway - you ought to check that to see whether it states what you would do if a child has an asthma attack needing hospitalisation and whether you would go to hospital with the child.

You need training on the child's inhaler / spacer if you are going to be responsible for giving it... training is specific to the child so even if you are an expert on your own child, you need training for someone else's child.

Apart from that, it's just ongoing medication permission. Parent signs to say you can help / support/ administer and then signs when you have noted that it's done.

Hope this helps. :D

Who do we have to get the training from Sarah?

jadavi
22-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Oo I'm glad this has come up as my overnight child needs his inhaler every night. i write the times in his diary of course. Do I have to record it in accident book as well as medical permission form? Got all my paperwork from NCMA. Neither makes sense to me as the first is requiring an answer to do I need training each time and also date and time last given by parent which we do not need either. The second (accident book) has a page per 'incident'. Shall I just start my own page with columns?

Just spoke to Ofsted on phone about something else and asked about this and they said both which was nonsense - obviously he wasn't looking at the NCMA books...dont want to waste paper but also dont want to get it wrong.