PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

LucyatMCM
07-02-2011, 10:14 PM
The short version of my saga is... that I am on maternity leave from my desk job. My registration was completed in October but I haven't got any mindees yet.

I don't think I've got time now to find any mindees before I have to say that I will go back to my desk job. But I'm having my own doubts now about childminding.

Mostly because I would like to have another baby in about a year. I think that if I am childminding the chances are that when the parents find out I am pregnant they will look for alternative care straight away, leaving me without an income. Whereas my desk job cannot sack me for being pregnant.

Do you think that's what the parents are likely to do?

Doofuz
08-02-2011, 06:23 AM
I can't say I am in a similar position to you as not on maternity leave, nor pregnant, nor yet registered but here is what I plan on doing...:rolleyes:

My husband and I are due to start fertility treatment in March and I hope to be registered by April/May. I plan on telling all (any)!? parents that register their children with me as soon as I can that I am receiving this treatment so they know what to expect, and can decide whether or not they want to continue with the placement. I will obviously be having quite a few days off, but should know of them in advance (apart from maybe a couple...and I will be able to give them an idea on those) so can give them a chance to find childcare. I have a network already sorted so it should be reasonably easy for them to do this :)

When I am hopefully pregnant, I plan on working right up as long as I can and start again after a few weeks maternity leave, provided all has gone well. I can't say for sure what is going to happen with all of this, it may or may not work for some or all of the parents and they may decide against leaving their child in my care, but my husband and I have decided to deal with that when it needs dealing with - the only thing I will say is I have started making savings in case I need them due to days off, parents terminating contract etc. :cool:

I have wanted to childmind for so long that I am determined to make it work. If it's the same for you then stick with it, and make contingency plans in case of emergencies. :)

heidicat
08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
personally, yes, I think that as soon as you tell parents you're pregnant they will start to find an alternative childminder. They might not move them straight away but as you'll be off when you have the baby they'll have to find someone else anyway.

Its going to be one of those things I guess - self employed with no maternity cover versus paid employee with lots of rights etc.

Dont want to damped your spirits as I read your previous posts about parents not turning up etc etc and I know how long this whole process takes but just wanted to give you my honest opinion.

x

Goatgirl
08-02-2011, 05:54 PM
HI :),
I think it would really depend on the situation with each child/family. With my lot for instance, they are all part time and for the sake of a few weeks or the odd day here and there for hospital appts they are likely to ask friends and family to cover, or take their time off to coincide with mine.

Not that I'll be on maternity leave any time soon ...or ever, at 43 with a partner who's had the snip :laughing:

I'd say go with your heart ...if you can possibly afford it :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy :)

LucyatMCM
08-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks everyone, esp Heidicat. I never expected this to be such a roller coaster ride and up until this week I was still willing to go for it but the way that some people have messed me around I have no confidence that they would stick around after finding out that I was pregnant and that would worry me and make my pregnancy stressful. I don't believe that would be good for my daughter either.

The plan would be to leave her with her grandparents and I can't honestly say that I don't think she's going to be fine with them. It's me that's going to find it horrible not being with her.

levason
08-02-2011, 08:36 PM
i too was concerned about this, I already have a little boy and we were trying for another one, but then I found out that my desk job was coming to an end so I have decided to put having another baby on hold for a year or two and concentrate on the cm'ing and also getting financially stable again, a bit gutted but hoping that minding a little bubba will satistfy my broodiness at the mo, lol! :D xx

miffy
08-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks everyone, esp Heidicat. I never expected this to be such a roller coaster ride and up until this week I was still willing to go for it but the way that some people have messed me around I have no confidence that they would stick around after finding out that I was pregnant and that would worry me and make my pregnancy stressful. I don't believe that would be good for my daughter either.

The plan would be to leave her with her grandparents and I can't honestly say that I don't think she's going to be fine with them. It's me that's going to find it horrible not being with her.

It sounds as though you have made your mind up.

I would keep your registration open for as long as Ofsted will allow just in case your situation changes and you want to return to childminding.

Good luck

Miffy xx

LucyatMCM
08-02-2011, 08:56 PM
I definately intend to come back to childminding one day, maybe not too far away! x :thumbsup:

missymood
08-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi I would definately keep your registration open too as I closed mine two years ago after having a break and it takes ages now to re-register and also all new childminderse in our area at least have to do the cache level 3 course and also you need a level 2 in maths or you have to go to learndirect or something similiar to obtain it! They want proof!!!

Good luck in what you decide

Zoomie
08-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Its going to be one of those things I guess - self employed with no maternity cover versus paid employee with lots of rights etc.
x

You can get maternity allowance if you are SE and have been so in the qualifing period

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018869

LucyatMCM
08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks Zoomie, I have considered that but I think there would probably be a gap still as I don't think you can claim maternity pay until you are 6 months pregnant.

I have written to OFSTED to find out what would happen to my registration but does anyone know? If I tried again to get clients in late 2012 what would I need to do?