PDA

View Full Version : insurance, mm?

crazyhazy
07-02-2011, 08:24 PM
I know a lot of people have switched recently to michael morton and my insurance with scma is due for renewal in april so am wondering what to do. Can I ask those who switched why? And are the two insurances pretty much the same? At first glance mm is more expensive? but that doesn't take into account the cost of joining scma though so guess they're more expensive once everything is added up.

oh just remembered at the moment I use scma contracts, do mm do them too?

editing cos I just realised I might have confused people with putting scma, whereas most people here will be in england so use ncma.

sarah707
07-02-2011, 09:43 PM
The most important thing is to not confuse the work the NCMA / SCMA does on behalf of childminders with your insurance needs.

You can buy insurance from either MM or via NCMA and both give similar benefits / helplines / magazines etc.

But only NCMA lobbies the Govt on behalf of childminders and is a national body / charity which supports minders.

With NCMA you need to use their contracts; with MM you can use your own or MM ones or NCMA ones.

Hth :D

tulip0803
08-02-2011, 04:40 PM
I renewed my PLI with MM as the cover that they seem give when a parent does not pay is better.

I also renewed my membership with NCMA as they campaign on behalf of childminders and do a lot of work for childminders as Sarah says. This made it more expensive than just staying with NCMA but I wanted the better insurance cover and the membership of a professional body too.

I still use NCMA literature although I am insured with MM - they said this was fine.

MM is purely and childcare insurer whereas NCMA (or SCMA) are professional bodies who support childminders, raise their profiles and lobby governments on behalf of childminders.

the happy house
08-02-2011, 04:49 PM
I've got my insurance through MM although when I previously minded I was with NCMA.
I've gone with M this time becasue NCMA were flippin useless when it came to chasing a non-paying parent. From what I've heard MM are much better in this respect.

I have every intention of becoming a member of the NCMA though (when I've actually got some children and can afford to!).