PDA

View Full Version : After school snack or tea?

francinejayne
07-02-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm after a bit of advice...

I have 3 children of my own, youngest is 3 in April. As a family we usually have tea at 5.

In order that my DS eats his tea I have in the past only provided snacks at about 2.30 in the afternoon before we do the school run - as we are only home from school at 3.45, and if I gave DS a snack then there would be no way he would eat his tea at 5! All of my after school children are gone by 430, so they will be getting fed by their parents soon after this time, and their parents are fine that they don't have anything after school.

I have been asked to provide tea for one family's children when mum is working on a late shift and the children will be with me until 6pm - she normally gives them tea at 430. This is fine, my children will just eat their tea a little earlier on these nights.

However, I now have a problem....a parent has contacted me asking for care for her daughter after school, and she wants me to give her a snack at 3.45 when she gets home from school.

What do I do? How do I please everyone? If I stick with my family's way of doing things I am not really looking after the needs of the individual children, but I'm not sure how I can feasibly meet everyone's requirements, as if I give a snack to one child they will all want one?

Dragonfly
07-02-2011, 07:35 PM
I would just give that child her snack explaining to the others that their tea is soon. If you dont think you can do it i wouldnt take the other child that needs the snack on.

Dragonfly
07-02-2011, 07:36 PM
p.s I would continue to snack the ones at 2.30 as usual.

The Juggler
07-02-2011, 10:44 PM
i would tell mum if you provide tea that it will be at 5pm. keep to what your family do hon. Also why not just give your little one 1/2 crumpet just a bit of fruit for his snack after school so he doesn't miss out but doesn't fill up.

Penny1959
08-02-2011, 05:09 AM
I offer both - snack and tea - but at same time

Tea at 4.30 for those whose parents require it OR snack for those whose parents want them to eat at home later

The children all still sit and eat together - the content of snack will depend on how much later the children will be getting tea at home - and will be agreed with parents

I did try seperate tea and snack times but it took too much time and was confusing for the children and those having tea would get upset as snack was offered at an earlier time than tea.

Penny :)