PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor play help please!

keeks
07-02-2011, 04:01 PM
I haven't got a garden, so we go on daily outings to the park etc. I know I am legally obliged to provide outdoor play every day, and I love spending a lot of time outdoors with the children.

I have got a 3 year old two mornings per week. He leaves my setting at 1.30 to go to a lovely montessori playgroup where he has free flow access to a garden. We usually have an outing in the morning before lunch, but some days it fits in better to go for an outing in the afternoon.

Now, my question is: Do I have to give all children access to outdoor play, even if they are only with me for a few hours? Or is it mainly that we need to go outside at some point during the day?

Some days I would have to do two outings if I have got a morning mindee and an afternoon mindee!

I hope someone can give some advice!

xx

Helen79
07-02-2011, 04:22 PM
I don't have a garden that we can use. Some days we don't go out, if the weather's bad, or maybe a lo isn't feeling well or they're too tired etc.
If we don't go out I always make sure we've done some dancing, got the balls out and had a kick around in the lounge, made an obstacle course or done some kind of physical play.
I know getting outside is more than just letting them run around, they need fresh air aswell but some days it's not possible to get out. I only work til 2.30 most days and mindees usually have a long sleep so I don't feel too bad about it. If I had a mindee 8am-6pm I'd worry if we hadn't been out but for short few hours I don't worry about it.

sarah707
07-02-2011, 05:43 PM
We have to work with other settings... so if you can show that the child has outside play opportunities there then you should not feel obliged to go out during the day when the child is with you.

The Eyfs talks about a balance of play ... it's the same if the child paints at pre-school, he should be offered something different with you unless of course it's a particular love of his and he wants to do it twice!

Hth :D

Mrs Pootle
07-02-2011, 07:02 PM
I think what you are doing is fine. I have a mindee at school nursery in the morning where they get outdoor play. They then walk (20mins) to my house, so more outdoor time. The afternoon is usually spent indoors playing before doing the school run (walk) again.
I am glad they have the opportunity to play outdoors at school in a morning, as my afternoons are routinely indoor based.

keeks
07-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Thank you guys, I feel reassured now.

I dropped off a letter last week to the playgroup asking how we could work together. The lady was lovely, but I haven't heard anything yet. Mum has told me though that they have free flow between play areas indoors and outdoors.

Thanks again!

xx

karen m
07-02-2011, 09:43 PM
I was wondering about this as house hunting not going well and may need to rent a flat short term although by time am re-registered things may have changed