PDA

View Full Version : mindees development

Katiekoo
07-02-2011, 03:26 PM
I have a mindee M who is 10 months old, she was 4 weeks premature and is very small. I'm worried she might have developmental issues as she has only just started to sit up on her own, doesn't roll over and when I try to give her tummy time she just cries so I put back sat up again. She doesn't reach for things near by and doesn't repsond much to anything, she rarely uses her face to express anything. She is improving slightly and she has just started clapping.

Compared to my other mindee B - he is only three weeks older (also 3 weeks premature) there is a big difference. I know I shouldn't compare, as all children develop at their own rate - but at what point should you get concerned that there might be something wrong development wise? I guess what I want to know is should I be worried? And if so what should I do?

Soon the second mindee will be one and I will be caring for them at the same time, it's going to be difficult with one (B) being so boystrous and her being so timid and small.
Any thoughts/reassurance welcomed :) I only started minding in November so quite new to all this!

sarah707
07-02-2011, 05:46 PM
You are right - we must not compare children even of similar ages because they all develop at hugely different rates.

Your individual planning should reflect the different activities you plan for each to bring them on according to their needs.

I have lots of children here who are different personalities - it's amazing how you adapt. You'll be fine!

Shirlwith3
08-02-2011, 05:49 AM
I used to have a mindee (L) like that, he was behind with al his develoment, I had chats with my & then one day I was at my childminder group & out childminding Inclusion adviser came to visit us & I had a chat about lo (L), she suggested doing a CAF to help mum & L to get assessed, L has now left buthas been diagnosed.

I have just taken on 8month old twins (born 3 months early) & but are behind developmently but ne is ahead of the other more so, but thankfully they are already under the care of the hospital.

I was wondering have you had a chat with mum about his development?
Do you have a Inclusion Adviser that you can talk to?

mama2three
08-02-2011, 07:43 AM
If she is still under the care of the consultant , which is usual with premature babies until around 2 , then I wouldnt worry too much as her development is already being monitored by the professionals.
As for the mix of babies , you will soon get used to it and offer things that suit them both. And having a little one slightly ahead often encourages the other child to try new things too. A little gentle encouragement and praise for your older one to be careful , gentle , kind etc.

miffy
08-02-2011, 07:56 AM
I know it's really hard not to compare especially when babies are similar ages but it really doesn't mean (as you've noticed) that they will also be at similar stages of development.

You are noticing with the older baby that she is coming on now so you can plan for that. Like Kath said I'm sure she will still be under the consultant so don't worry too much about development.

Miffy xx

Katiekoo
08-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks everyone - most reassuring!
I have spoken to Mum - started talking about the routine checks she must have had like all children that age, she said that the doctor is happy with her development and said she is small but growing well. That's a relief!
I'm sure I'll be fine withthe two of them, as you said mama2three - I think the mix will help her along with trying new things.
:D

TammyN
08-02-2011, 05:16 PM
i had concerns with a littleone i had, she is now 2 and the health visitor is now beginning to show an interest in what ive been saying to mum for over a year, she is due a 2nd review this month so from my experience just do what you can to help the child by offering the experiences etc, review and note down what you do and then wait a while longer, it looks like they wait until 2?

Katiekoo
08-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Really good advice. I'm trying to get her interested in her surroundings and interacting a bit more. I do signing with her and she has really started to respond in the last few weeks, I will persevere and just really try to support her as best I can. Her Mum does seem to be aware that she needs extra support and is so lovely I think we can work together to bring her out of herself a bit. Thanks for the advice everyone. :)