PDA

View Full Version : Not the most successful settling in session ever...

Helcatt
07-02-2011, 02:38 PM
I think the new baby is off colour.

I had her for two hours on thursday and she was a dream, the only time she whined was just before snack time and when she needed a nappy change - did really well, didn't look for mum, just cruised around exploring the world

Today, before mum left she was clingy and fractious and screamed for 75% of the time before falling asleep in my arms. She wasn't due a nap so thats why I think she's out of sorts

When we interviewed, I made it very clear that I only had space for one day, al other spaces are filled and then she asked today whether anything could be done about increasing to 2 days.

The plan currently is I'll have her monday, granny on tuesday and dad on weds while mum is at work . They are now worried that granny might find it too much or granny might want to go away bla bla bla

I've said the only thing I can do is apply to Ofsted for a variation, but I can't do that too soon. In a few months, I can explain that its too much for granny bla bla and child settled bla bla

I know I've had a variation granted before but don't want to just assume it will happen again, plus that child had been with me for a year before I asked for it where I feel that Ofsted might think I've taken this child on under false pretences

Hx

Baildon bears
07-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Oh dear, take a deep breath. It is aweful when a baby does not settle, when I started with my 6 month old I had good days and bad and the bad days go on forever I remember thinking what have I done, but he soon settled down and he still has his off days but babys do. As far as the parents go my parents do a simular thing 3 days with me and 2 days with grandparents and it is hard trying to decide what is the best thing to do as babys are hard work. But I would make it clear you do not have the space or you will make your self ill taking on too much as I have done in the past.

button68
07-02-2011, 06:44 PM
I had only had a child 2 months and applied for a variation for almost identical circumstances you describe.

Little girl came to me 2 days a Nana 1 day, all was well then about 6 weeks into contract Nana had a stroke :eek: I said I only needed to variation for 1 day a week between the hours of X to Y. In my letter I rattled on about continuity of care etc.. I got the variation and my certificate was amended and VERY specific saying only baby R, only on a tuesday and only for the hours X to Y.

Also... when I asked I'd only been minding 4 months.

HTH

Helcatt
07-02-2011, 11:52 PM
I had only had a child 2 months and applied for a variation for almost identical circumstances you describe.

Little girl came to me 2 days a Nana 1 day, all was well then about 6 weeks into contract Nana had a stroke :eek: I said I only needed to variation for 1 day a week between the hours of X to Y. In my letter I rattled on about continuity of care etc.. I got the variation and my certificate was amended and VERY specific saying only baby R, only on a tuesday and only for the hours X to Y.

Also... when I asked I'd only been minding 4 months.

HTH

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure it would be considered if I asked after only a couple of months care.

I did make it very clear when I interviewed them that the space I had was only 1 day and thought it was a deal breaker but they decided to use me in the end anyway.

I already said that I would not ask/could not ask for it to start before 9 am as I have a commitment to the school run children

Will have to have a serious think about whether I really want to do it or not though

Hx

The Juggler
08-02-2011, 07:28 AM
I think the new baby is off colour.

I had her for two hours on thursday and she was a dream, the only time she whined was just before snack time and when she needed a nappy change - did really well, didn't look for mum, just cruised around exploring the world

Today, before mum left she was clingy and fractious and screamed for 75% of the time before falling asleep in my arms. She wasn't due a nap so thats why I think she's out of sorts

When we interviewed, I made it very clear that I only had space for one day, al other spaces are filled and then she asked today whether anything could be done about increasing to 2 days.

The plan currently is I'll have her monday, granny on tuesday and dad on weds while mum is at work . They are now worried that granny might find it too much or granny might want to go away bla bla bla

I've said the only thing I can do is apply to Ofsted for a variation, but I can't do that too soon. In a few months, I can explain that its too much for granny bla bla and child settled bla bla

I know I've had a variation granted before but don't want to just assume it will happen again, plus that child had been with me for a year before I asked for it where I feel that Ofsted might think I've taken this child on under false pretences

Hx

sorry to hear it didn't go well with baby but only early days. I took a boy on waiting 3 weeks and applied for a variation for an extra day and got it hon:thumbsup:

miffy
08-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Like the op's I've also had a variation granted when grandma decided looking after the child was too much, I hadn't been caring for the child very long so it's worth a shot if you want to do it.

Hope the lo settles better next time

Miffy xx

angiemog
08-02-2011, 08:26 AM
sorry to hear it didn't go well with baby but only early days. I took a boy on waiting 3 weeks and applied for a variation for an extra day and got it hon:thumbsup:

I applied for a variation after a week of looking after one of my mindees. Similar situation it was too much for her nan. It was granted no problem. x