PDA

View Full Version : Child Development concerns

sarak31
07-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi all - wondered if anyone had any ideas?

I have to write up an 'approach to child development' that I take in my setting. I have so far printed off a general 'meaningful milestones' list and started off with the following:

- every child is different and reaches developmental points at different times.
- if I had a concern with a child's development I would carry out observations around this particular thing - eg. speech - and then make notes over a period of time how it is developing. Once I am sure it is a concern I will discuss with the parents and advise them to see their health visitor / GP for further advice / referrals.

My question is - is this what you would do if you had a concern? Also what if the parents don't want to know? Sometimes it is obvious there is a delay - eg. a 2 year old not babbling yet or a 18 month old not pulling up to standing yet - if the parents say that everything is fine what do you do then?

Any advice gratefully received....

Thank you
x

miss mopple
07-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Sadly if the parent doesn't want to follw your advice by seeking further help ther's not alot you can do other than to keep supporting the child the best way you can and noting their development and any concerns. Some parents aren't ready to hear or accept their child may be struggling.Been there several times and suspect I am about to go there again :( I read up as much as I can and go on any courses that may help, and seek advice from my DW if I need it

sarak31
07-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Humm.. this is my concern - that there doesn't seem to be anything that we can do. This means that a child - if they only attend your setting - can have no diagnosis on any developmental issues / behaviour problems until they reach 4 and attend nursery - or potentially 5 if they stay with you until school. This can't be right. Speaking to a friend who runs a day nursery she said she would get their SENCO to observe them and then speak to the parents and this tends to have more of an effect - her feedback along with SENCOs tend to get the parents along to a pediatrician to have their child assessed and so the ball starts rolling.

I have emailed my development worker (who incidentally is only there until the end of march when funding is withdrawn and then there really won't be anywhere to get help!) and asked her if there is a central department we can go to to get support / senco advice if this arises within our settings. Will let you know what she says....

sarah707
07-02-2011, 09:52 PM
We are in a very difficult position when it comes to getting support for a child.

We can flag things up and get someone involved but that very often ends with the child being taken out of our care by angry parents who do not want other professionals meddling in their affairs and who blame us for starting the ball rolling.

Or we can speak to parents, be ignored and watch the child struggle.

Or sometimes parents take on board what we are saying and then make excuses for the child...

Very occasionally parents will accept there is an issue... but in my experience they wait for someone else to tell them about it. Ok, excuse me, your son has a hearing problem and I can diagnose it because I am an audiologist / have been working with children for 18 years / have had children of my own with glue ear etc etc... but they will still wait for the teacher (the qualified one) to tell them to get help.

It can be hard but we can only do our best :(