PDA

View Full Version : The more I read the more I'm put off - is this normal??

mrsh
19-04-2008, 10:15 AM
The course starts next week but the more I'm reading the more I'm getting put off. I just don't know if I can do it.
I knew childminding wasn't a case of sitting on your behind but didn't know it was as intense as what it is with all the paperwork involoved.
I can't work out if I'm just extremely nervous and will be fine or if it really isn't for me at the moment. I really need to decide by next week as I've got to pay for the course (over £100).
I have 5 kids myself and by the time I start only my youngest will be at home during the day but will be getting ready for nursery. I know how to look after children but it's more the inspection side of things and policys/standards and that which are getting me down. The last thing I want to do is do the course to then fail ofsted!!!

mjw
19-04-2008, 10:20 AM
You won't fail. Ofsted are meant to be constructive in their comments!! What you need is to chat with other childminders who will guide you through all the paperwork. When you register you should get a support childminder so use her/him. Also get out to groups and ask questions we have all been there and are only too willing to help. This site is a wonderful place for support too. Give it a try.
Mary

Pipsqueak
19-04-2008, 10:22 AM
The course starts next week but the more I'm reading the more I'm getting put off. I just don't know if I can do it.
I knew childminding wasn't a case of sitting on your behind but didn't know it was as intense as what it is with all the paperwork involoved.
I can't work out if I'm just extremely nervous and will be fine or if it really isn't for me at the moment. I really need to decide by next week as I've got to pay for the course (over £100).
I have 5 kids myself and by the time I start only my youngest will be at home during the day but will be getting ready for nursery. I know how to look after children but it's more the inspection side of things and policys/standards and that which are getting me down. The last thing I want to do is do the course to then fail ofsted!!!

Hi Mrs H

Its normal to be nervous about things. At least you are going into this with eyes wide open and you are being honest.

Childminding isn't for everyone but you may just surprise yourself. There is much that you have to do but there is much more that is considered best practice - stuff that you don't have to do but it is best to do.
If you are organised and take things slowly its all acheiveable.
As for inspections - they are ok - we all work ourselves up into a lather about it (generally because we don't know what to expect and we also want the best possible outcome of course!). AGain its a case of taking a deep breath and being confident about your own skills. Its a rareity that someone "fails" their inspection - for that to happen you have to have some glaringly obvious/serious things in your setting. It won't be a case of "fail" either - you would get actions that you would have to put right to get your grading.

Besides with us (the forum) on your side - you can't go wrong;) :D . There is tons of help and information on here and lots of willing people offering suggestions, not to mention getting involved with your local team as well and getting to know other minders in your area always helps.

angeldelight
19-04-2008, 10:22 AM
I think it does seem off putting to someone just starting out and I know when you read some of the threads here you think omg ?

It really is not that bad - some do heaps of paper work and concentrate a lot on that

I personally like to spend my time with the children and concentrate on them so although everything is up to date my paper work is basic and I just do what I have to do

Dont be put off it really is a great job and so rewarding

I have 6 grown up children and when they were little I found it such an idea job for me because I had the best of both worlds

It depends on how much you want it - ok you have to do the courses and paper work but it really is not that bad

Dont panic by the time you get to have an Ofsted inspection you will be surprised at how much you know and how much you have learned

I hope you decide to continue

If you need any help you can ask any of us or send me a pm Im always around

Good luck if you go for it

Angel xx

mrsh
19-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone. My nerves are getting the better of me at the moment. Not worked or done anything other than look after my own children in 7 years so I'm very rusty. My sister is doing the course with me too (seperate childminding) so we are both in the same boat. I never really thought about childminding but as I have 5 children the only thing I really know about is kids. Plus a great career when all the kids have grown up too to keep me young!

I suppose it's now or never.

Pipsqueak
19-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Thats the first step MrsH and you say "all you have done is look after your children" - that is a massive task and one I am sure you have done very well and you have gained lots of experience to boot - perfect for being a childminder!:)

You will be fine and all you can do is give it a go.

When you are reading threads on here - remember some people have TONS of experience in all aspects of minding (paperwork, inspections, childminding in general), some people are "novices", we all have our gripes and moans and sometimes we just need to offload as there are others who will understand just how you are feeling at that particular time! I would say that on the whole we are people (yep minders are human too!) who are dedicated to our work, far from perfect or able to get it right all of the time, accept our faults aren't afraid to put our hearts on our sleeves (or online/this forum).

Listen to me waffling!!!! Come on in and enjoy:D

angeldelight
19-04-2008, 11:04 AM
That is great that you have your sister for support - much better than doing it on your own

You will have heaps of support here too

I am sure that after having 5 children you actually know more than you think

Good luck to you and your sister

Angel xx

Twinkles
19-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I know we moan a lot on this site :rolleyes: but it's only because we know there are other people here who will understand what we are going through.
Most of us love our jobs and have a lot of fun.
I hate the paperwork side of things and just do what I have to to get by.
Don't be put off, you might even find you enjoy studying again.
You obviously enjoy being with children and I think, paperwork aside, you would enjoy being a childminder too.

Jinx
19-04-2008, 04:00 PM
I hadn't worked for 15 years when I started childminding. Someone told be that for every week you've been out of work, it takes x amount of time to get back into it and not be tired! I worked out I would be knackered for something like 14mths!!!!!!!!!!! (thats my excuse anyway.)
The paperwork can get overwhelming, but once you get into a routine with it, you can get it under control.(Note to self ....I..can..get..it..under..control)
:laughing: :laughing:

This site is fab and you will get all the support you need here. Just ask.:thumbsup:

Jinx x

Ripeberry
19-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi, i'm just getting into Childminding, have been to a pre-registration meeting a couple of years ago and they kept mentioning then that there was going to be big changes coming up.
Have done a year of Homecare, looking after the elderly and dissabled and i'm on the playschool committee and do the grants...OFSTED paperwork has a life of its own:eek:
This year i'm going to jump in and do it as i would like to be my own boss and most weeks i help out at playschool and quite enjoy it.
Just got to try and ignore the people who say they are leaving because of paperwork ect..
Got to find out for myself

allinatiz
19-04-2008, 11:49 PM
hi mrs h!

It wasn't until I found this forum that I started panicking about becoming a childminder, I personally found that my pre reg course covered pretty much nothing! Having said that, I've been minding for 6 months and although the paperwork is a little scary I'm having a ball with my mindee. I do the minimum of paperwork right now, although with EYFS coming in I'm sure that will change :D

Thanks to this site I feel I've been able to improve on the care I offer so much more than if I'd been left to blunder about on my own and I'm not even worried about my inspection, granted I don't expect more than a satisfactory but if my mindee's parents are happy then *** ofsted ;)

Haha, just previewed my post, didn't know that *** would be **'d out! :laughing:

miffy
20-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Just wanted to wish you luck Mrsh - I am sure you can do it! :)

miffy xx