PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed RE: deaf parent

OrlandoBelle
07-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Morning everyone.

I am just after a bit of advice really. I have just received a text call from the operator on behalf of a potential parent who is deaf. Basically the lady typed in what she wanted to say to the operator who then relayed the message to me and then I told her what I wanted to say back. A new experience for me, but was really easy.

Anyway, I have arranged for the lady to come round this wednesday evening and am a little worried as to how I will speak to her as I don't know if she will be coming on her own. I also don't know if the child is deaf as she didn't mention it. Not that it matters, but i'd like to be prepared in how i provide facilities for the LO if he is. I only know minimal sign language from watching Mr Tumble!

I have a portfolio for the lady to look at and I always print off a parents pack for potential parents to take home which I will give her.

Is there anything else I can do? I want to make her as welcome as possible.

lfishwick
07-02-2011, 09:14 AM
You may find the lady can lip read very well - so even if she doesn't bring someone with her to sign for her,you will be able to communicate. Just make sure you look at her when you speak, keep sentences short and simple and speak clearly - slowly isn't necessary really but make sure you pronouce your words clearly.

Also simple gestures communicate alot - so pointing to the sofa - if offering a drink sign drink, gesturing to follow etc when you speak.

I'm sure you will be great :)

mrsoliver
07-02-2011, 01:10 PM
You come across as very friendly and welcoming, and willing to listen to what the parent needs, and make reasonable adjustments to make your service accessible to her. This is all you need to do!!!! You can ask her how you she prefers you to communicate.

best of luck

Bridey
07-02-2011, 01:21 PM
My aunt is deaf. She lip reads beautifully but you do need to remember to talk normally and not slow things down! Also remember to face her when you are speaking (its harder than it sounds when you are busy lol). I do have difficulty understanding my aunt when she talks so it may be handy for you to have a pen and paper ready for her to write it down. I'm sure she is used to all this so don't panic :)

christine e
07-02-2011, 01:30 PM
I have recently started a BSL course and the advice given above is great but one thing to add remember to keep your hands away from your lips when speaking. Our teacher can only sign and lip read so when we don't understand she just keeps repeating and slowing down, if we still don't understand then she has to resort to writting down but that doesn't happen much. I am sure you will be fine

Cx

jane5
07-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Good advice already given,

She will probably either be able to lip read or will bring someone with her to translate.

The only thing that I would add is if you don't understand anything she says, ask her to repeat it even if she has already said it a couple of times.

I hope you get the lo:thumbsup:

OrlandoBelle
07-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for your advice everyone. I'll let you all know how it goes on Wednesday :)