PDA

View Full Version : How can I get him to be kind?

buzzy bee
07-02-2011, 08:36 AM
I have a 2 yr old mindee who's mean to my 1 yr old - snatches things from him, deliberately pushes him over, shouts at him etc. If I say anything about them being friends he says they can't be friends.

Any advice would be very welcome!! Or is it just the age?

sarah707
07-02-2011, 09:30 AM
2 year olds do often struggle with sharing especially with new movers / walkers because they are invading what was previously 'their' territory.

However at 2 they are old enough to learn the basics of sharing and taking turns.

Try lots of 'one for me one for you' games, sharing activities etc and read books about sharing and taking turns.

Hth :D

Ripeberry
07-02-2011, 10:35 AM
My two year old mindee was having a hard time at home because his baby brother was suddenly mobile and he was playing with HIS old toys.
Then I had two under 1yr olds start (different days), so for a couple of weeks or so, he was quite nasty to the little ones, snatching, pushing over, even trying to kick the babies in the face :eek:

He did get a telling off and time to think in the 'thinking corner' He is much better with them now and even brings toys to them.
It just takes time, make sure he knows that being 'nasty or mean' is not an option and praise everything positive that he does with the other mindees :)

buzzy bee
07-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks...

It's not so much the sharing thing - it's more the general 'being mean' - pushing and saying mean things etc.

I might introduce a 'thinking corner' and see if that helps...

jane5
07-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Encourage sharing and distract from bad behaviour and lots and lots praise for good behaviour.

This is all normal behaviour for a 2 year old but hard work for you :)

Mrs.L.C
07-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Getting the children to mix in different sized groups (toddler groups) can make a difference esp f you can do this from a young age.

other wise I would suggest as above. lots of distraction etc and time out might work depending on the understanding the child has