PDA

View Full Version : First Aid box

Beetlejuice
06-02-2011, 02:38 PM
I know I should know the answer to this but I've heard conflicting things so wanted to check with you guys who are usually the font of all knowledge lol! I have today audited the contents of my FA box and replaced things that were out of date. Now somewhere (and I forget where!) I heard that we shouldn't have plasters in our first aid box. We are allowed to use them with parental permission but I heard that we aren't meant to keep them with our 'official' FA box that we show Ofsted. Can anyone confirm/dispute this please? Also can we get into trouble with Ofsted for having 'extra' things in our FA boxes e.g. dressings, tweezers etc? I'm beginning to wonder if I should have two boxes - one I show Ofsted and one with the 'extras' in lol!!

Many thanks

B xx

solly
06-02-2011, 02:42 PM
I have two in my cupboard one for home and one for childminding, this was what i was told to have when I first registered so have always done it that way.
My last inspection she didn't even ask me about it

onceinabluemoon
06-02-2011, 02:55 PM
My inspector didn't even ask to see it, just ask if I had one. I said 'I have three would you like to see them?' and smiled...

I haven't heard we're not supposed to use plasters but it seems that all these different paed first aid courses we are told something different.

Wouldn't it be good if there was some sort of central list that we could just check....

sarah707
06-02-2011, 03:10 PM
I have permission for plasters and they are in my kit.

I do not have extras in there like creams or tweezers because we are not allowed to use them - they are in my family kit.

Hth :D

Rmead
06-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Are we not allowed to use tweezers? At my paedietric first aid course they said you could. You could use the plastic disposable ones to remove spinters IF they were sticking out and easy to remove. If they were embedded and you couldn't get them you weren't allowed to dig in, just cover with plaster and tell parent.

sarah707
07-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Are we not allowed to use tweezers? At my paedietric first aid course they said you could. You could use the plastic disposable ones to remove spinters IF they were sticking out and easy to remove. If they were embedded and you couldn't get them you weren't allowed to dig in, just cover with plaster and tell parent.

On my first aid course about 2 years ago we were told to leave splinters to parents as they are invasive... so no tweezers.

If it's a sting we should use a credit card to flick it out :D

miffy
07-02-2011, 07:54 AM
I have permission for plasters and they are in my kit.

I do not have extras in there like creams or tweezers because we are not allowed to use them - they are in my family kit.

Hth :D

Same here - or "hypoallergenic dressings" as I was told we should refer to them! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx