PDA

View Full Version : Feeling nostalgic (and more than a little guilty!)

Fandangles
19-04-2008, 09:29 AM
I used to childmind about 12 years ago (yes I am old!!) and am returning to childminding again. Reading through this forum I realise just how much childminding has changed and, looking back, I reckon Ofsted would have had multiple fits if they had inspected me like they do today.

I went to the toilet ALL BY MYSELF. I dragged all the kids round all of my family and friends' houses which were not remotely child proofed with not a hint of a risk assessment. Had loads of friends round my house with all their kids and let the lot run round happily making a riot. I never planned a single day - we just did what we felt like doing. The minded kids often stayed round for sleepovers (is this allowed now?).:eek:

I refused to have colour coded towels for the kids on the basis that my kids were friends with the minded ones and didn't have separate towels when they went there (would I get shot now?). Told the inspector she could put down that I was a dirty cow because I didn't care :blush: (oh the stroppiness of youth!).

One of the good things for me about childminding was that I could do things round the house, get things from the shops - all the normal things that other mothers at home with kids do .:blush:

Luckily for me now I am planning to childmind with my sister on a small nursery model so the whole Ofsted planning thing works OK with that. However I can't help thinking that some of the things that some parents look for in a childminder are being extinguised. I became very good friends with all the mothers of children I minded to the extend that the whole lot of us went on holidays together and they liked me because of all the chaos round my house. They wanted their children to be in a real family environment and not an educational establishment. One of my minded children simply never left. She carried on being minded by my au pair when I went to work and is now my daughter's best friend in the whole world.

Oh well it better not be true that you can't teach an old dog new tricks because this one is going to have to study hard!

angeldelight
19-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Those were certainly the good old days

The days where we had heaps of time to play with kids and had no worry about paper work and the rest of it

The days when good old common sense was enough

I guess all things change though and we have to move with the times just a shame that sometimes they are not always for the better

Angel xx

chubbymummy
19-04-2008, 03:48 PM
it does show how the world has changed and because of things happening to children how we have to be overcautious

i could argue both for and against how things may or may not be better/worse now

i just remember that in my setting i like to think the children are safe and happy

angeldelight
19-04-2008, 03:57 PM
I agree Cathy

Angel xx

donnahay0
19-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Sadly, all those things that happen to children these days have unfortunately always happened in the past - we just have better media coverage and are alerted to it.

I also think that Ofsted seem to forget that the parents are best qualified to decided whether they like their children to come to our 'homes' and if they like the way we look after their children.

Having said that I do think that inspections are important and it is good that we have standards to meet. It is a shame that the inspections are not consistant and inspectors are able to make up the rules as they go along. I also think we should go back to being inspected on a yearly basis, not that I would enjoy this, but it keeps you more compliant. The paperwork, however, has definately made us pen pushers which is not why I became a childminder. The amount of extra work this has all brought about has sometimes seriously had me thinking about giving it up and going back out to work for a simple life.

Straws
20-04-2008, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=Fandangles;121061]
I went to the toilet ALL BY MYSELF. I dragged all the kids round all of my family and friends' houses which were not remotely child proofed with not a hint of a risk assessment.

erm can we not take our minded children to visit family or friends??

Straws xx

sarah707
20-04-2008, 06:08 PM
You are making me soooo sad for the good old days!

I look at my dd and ds now as teenagers...even when I first started minding and they were babies things were sooo different... and many of the children I looked after then are still family friends.

You will find things very different - some for the better, but not all I don't think :(

deeb66
21-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I agree that they are the good old days and things were much different then.

However this was in the day when we were considered to be pottering around at home to earn a few pennies.

Yes things have changed and I agree with a majority of the changes but the thing that pleases me most of all is that our professional status has continued to improve over the years.

I do not consider myself as 'just a childminder' like we did in the old days but now i see myself as a professional!

Rubybubbles
21-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I agree that they are the good old days and things were much different then.

However this was in the day when we were considered to be pottering around at home to earn a few pennies.

Yes things have changed and I agree with a majority of the changes but the thing that pleases me most of all is that our professional status has continued to improve over the years.

I do not consider myself as 'just a childminder' like we did in the old days but now i see myself as a professional!

I did not childmind in the good old days, but always big myself up to be a professional as after all this is our profession:thumbsup: