PDA

View Full Version : register under the data protection act

clumpcat
06-02-2011, 08:42 AM
has anyone else read in "who minds" that we have to be registered if we keep electronic records of the children? (including taking photos of children using a digital camera). i have never been told this!!!
fee is £35 annually.

onceinabluemoon
06-02-2011, 08:56 AM
It comes up on the forum regularly so whilst I've never been told it by anybody official, I've read it on here loads of times. xx

I am interested to know how paying the government £35 of my 'hard earned cash' will stop anybody from using any photo or information they may find on my computer or camera...

clumpcat
06-02-2011, 09:01 AM
exactly my thoughts!

keeks
06-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Yes, you are right. There has been a few threads on here about this if you would like more info.

The funny thing is that on my icp course (in November 2010)I asked about this, and the lady running it (a very knowledgeable lady) said she never heard of this and she didn't think we had to.

I must admit I haven't registered yet :blush: but I will do very soon.

xx

The Juggler
06-02-2011, 09:14 AM
it doesn't protect us or the photos at all. We don't get anything for our money except the certificate :(

What it does though is prevent you from being fined for not registering as a controller of that data which you keep. You are basically registering to say you promise to do everything within your power to keep that data safe. It's a safety net for children and families rather than us - unfortunately.

MaryMary
06-02-2011, 11:38 AM
It is on my to do list :( (still!!) I don't have the money at the moment - hoping next month will be a bit better :)

I know we have to register - from various discussions on here. It has been mentioned on my DHC course a couple of months ago, but wasn't stressed too much. My DO came last week, and I expected her to mention it, but she didn't.

I read the bit in 'Who Minds' and it didn't seem to stress it very well. It didn't say that even if you delete pics after printing, you still need to register. I don't think it was very clear. I am still going to register, but not on the strength of that article :panic:

manjay
06-02-2011, 11:56 AM
This is not the first time it has been in Who Minds and I think it makes it very clear that it is something you need to consider as a self employed person. It gives clear information where you should go if you want more information.

If anyone is unsure whether they need to register then they just need to ring the ico for advice.

Unfortunately there are lots of things I don't agree with paying in this life but neither do I want to break the law:D

Cammie Doodle
06-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I know it feels like its just more money paid out for nothing :panic: , but as has been says it keeps us on the right side of the law. Its just one of those requirements that is needed to be a Childminder like Insurance First Aid etc