PDA

View Full Version : Are your mindees free to wander in your house?

lauren1979
05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Just reading another post about where mindees are when cooking and people seem to say 'Where I can see them' which leads me to, do you need to be able to see them at all times?

We have a house where mindees can wander from lounge to kitchen to dining room to conservatory (where toys are kept) although I bring toys through into lounge as is warmer and more comfy in there...is this OK? It means that if i am reading or playing in the lounge I can't see what others are doing elsewhere but feel they need to explore by themselves/don't want to be following them round all day or confining to one room!

Just interested what others do...

miffy
05-02-2011, 08:52 AM
I have always gone by the "within my sight or hearing" rule - if your house is safe and you've risk assessed then there is nothing wrong with mindees playing in another room nearby.

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
05-02-2011, 08:53 AM
I believe we are required to keep mindees in our sight or hearing at all times.

Mine can go upstairs to the loo as they please, but not in our bedrooms and not allowed to play on stairs. They can go in the lounge/playroom or hall or garden but not in the kitchen unsupervised as I do not have locks/catches on cupboards due to having a son with dyspraxia who would be unable to open them.

Twinkles
05-02-2011, 08:57 AM
The babies and toddlers have free access to the playroom and large hallway. I have a stairgate up at the kitchen so I can cook without them getting under my feet. They potter in and out of the playroom often standing at the kitchen gate chattering to me as I cook.

The only time I didn't do that was when I had a biter ! He would take the opportunity to bite whenever I was out of the room. I used to take him into the kitchen with me for the others safety !

I think if the house is childproof ( as much as it can be ) and you can hear them it isn't a problem.

nic t
05-02-2011, 09:07 AM
It's not always possible to see them at all times!

Ofsted won't not let you register if for example you can't see your front room from the kitchen.

However, I would always be within hearing distance and be able to get to them quickly if need be. And as has previously been said risk assess the rooms that are being used.

Milli147
05-02-2011, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=Twinkles;865721]The babies and toddlers have free access to the playroom and large hallway. I have a stairgate up at the kitchen so I can cook without them getting under my feet. They potter in and out of the playroom often standing at the kitchen gate chattering to me as I cook.

Same:)

Adiamond
05-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I have a playroom with my conservatory off it all the toys are now in the conservatory so the children raom in and out of the rooms and into the kitchen until I am cooking then I close the stair gate between the playroom and kitchen but I don't know about anyone else as soon as I close the gate do mindees start screaming :rolleyes:

Mindees are not allowed in my lounge I like to keep this work free or I feel like I am never away from work iyswim???? x

JCrakers
05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
My kitchen is openplan but the L-shaped worktops mean I can have a gate to stop them from entering the kitchen. When I'm in the kitchen (which seems to be a lot of my time) I can still see them over the breakfast bar.

mindees are not allowed to play in the lounge. The older ones can go in to watch the TV but must understand that it is the 'Quiet room' otherwise i get everyone bouncing on sofa's, taking toys in there and I just dont want it as at the end of the day its my house.
I'm hoping to get a TV in the playroom so the kids dont have to go into the lounge at all.

Becky

The Juggler
05-02-2011, 01:43 PM
mine have the run of downstairs and I can hear them wherever they are. we only go upstairs for sleep times or older mindees if they are invited into my children's rooms. If they do, doors stay open at all times.

When i have babies and pre-schoolers, babies are taken with me wherever I go to keep them from being fallen on/jumped on or if I have a climber/biter I'd take them with me too:)

xdirtydancerx
05-02-2011, 03:55 PM
I only have a lounge and kitchen downstairs so I can always see mindees. The lo I have for an hour in a morning never seems to need the loo so he never goes upstairs. It all works out ok

mufftie
05-02-2011, 04:23 PM
I have the lounge and playroom the children go into playroom on their own but I insist on the door being kept open so I can see/hear what's going on the dining kitchen the children can access but I usually supervise at lunch time

Happy Gardener
05-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Mine have the mostly free run of downstairs, although I sometimes choose to close the door to the living room. If I am iin the kitchen getting snack etc.. I can hear all noises as it is fairly central, & I am comfortable with that. If I am in the playroom, I cannot hear noise from the hallway & I tend to encourage the other child to come a little closer. No noise & I worry!

Chatterbox Childcare
05-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Mine play all over the place but I can always hear them, especially the older ones...

lauren1979
06-02-2011, 07:27 AM
thanks everyone
I can always hear what's going on...glad to I don't need to be following them round. The house is all childproofed and RA'ed of course so is nice for them to roam!

grindal
06-02-2011, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=nic t;865730]It's not always possible to see them at all times!

Ofsted won't not let you register if for example you can't see your front room from the kitchen.

This is not true! My front room cannot be seen from my kitchen. It is round the corner and down the hallway. All Ofsted want to know is that you have taken measures to protect the children you are looking after from apparent danger.

I have a stair gate over my kitchen and stairs. Mindees are free to move from playroom to dining room to hallway. At the moment mindees only go into the front room with me, but this was not the case when I registered.

Pipsqueak
06-02-2011, 09:04 AM

However, I would always be within hearing distance and be able to get to them quickly if need be. And as has previously been said risk assess the rooms that are being used.

I can't see my front room from my kitchen - never have been able to, so I don't believe that information is accurate.

The Juggler
06-02-2011, 09:11 AM

I had to read this twice to see what nic meant. she is saying (I think) that they will register you even if you can't see.:)

I have an old victorian house with a long thin hallway and def. can't see my lounge from my kitchen

karen m
06-02-2011, 05:19 PM
my lounge is down the hallway from my kitchen so can't see in there but can hear