PDA

View Full Version : National Childcare Directories

Pauline
04-02-2011, 03:14 PM
I have heard that the national childcare website (DirectGov - childcarefinder) is closing down as of 1st April 2011.

Apparently other websites that provide similar information are also going - dadtalk, parentline plus, daycare trust.

If this is the case it looks as if the only official government place for childcare advertising online will be through Local Authority FIS (Family Information Service).

:(

You can find a directory of FIS here if you need to find your local one: http://www.nafis.org.uk/

Blaze
04-02-2011, 03:19 PM
I have spoken to the Surrey team & they are aware that yes it it ceasing on the 1st April, but are not "advertising the fact yet" as there is a possibility it will be replaced with something else (as apparently lots of counties software wasn't compatible with Directgov (Surrey being one)! ... Blooming heck - I wish they had just left it at ************* - end of! :rolleyes:

...Parents will be able to get your details from your local FIS & most of these have a list of setting on the local county websites.

HTH:)

Mouse
04-02-2011, 03:42 PM
I have to be honest, I've never been very impressed with the childcare search facility on the DirectGov website. If I search for my full postcode, I don't come up, but if I search just the first part of my postcode, I'm there!
My phone number has never been put on my details, despite me asking several times and it's very diffficult to get any information changed.
I don't think I'll miss it.

angeldelight
04-02-2011, 04:09 PM
I have to be honest, I've never been very impressed with the childcare search facility on the DirectGov website. If I search for my full postcode, I don't come up, but if I search just the first part of my postcode, I'm there!
My phone number has never been put on my details, despite me asking several times and it's very diffficult to get any information changed.

Same here

Thanks Pauline for the information

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
04-02-2011, 04:12 PM
:rolleyes: yet I have just had to fill in an updated form, forgot and they kept phoning as I have to provide it? eh?

miffy
04-02-2011, 05:21 PM

I agree - whether I appear on ours is a lottery - sometimes I'm there sometimes I'm not - never fathomed out why :laughing:

Miffy xx