PDA

View Full Version : MOVIE RATINGS

VINASOL
04-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Do you take notice of movie ratings, and how flexible are you?

The reason I ask is that mindee watched a movie last night and when he told me about it this morning I thought it sounded a little off....I looked it up and it was a PG but recommended not suitable for children under 8 (mindee turned 7 in Dec, but is a VERY young 7yr old).

I looked at the parental guidance and it says:

The worst is a few revealed midriffs of women wearing tight tops. There is a reference to an unmarried couple having secret feelings for each other.

Violence & Gore
Intense action violence with no gore. There may be mild blood from a cut or scrape. Two scenes of a pair of 'tough guys' fist fight with the main character. Mysterious 'assassin' using energy weapons against main characters and military troops. Explosions throw characters about. Scenes of military troops firing machine guns and hand guns toward the protagonists and the assassin.

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking
Characters are shot in the neck with small drug-filled darts, strapped to tables, and fed a drug through breathing tubes.

Frightening/Intense Scenes
Lots of intense scenes throughout: Unknown SUVs intimidate a cab with children by repeatedly crashing into it. A mysterious character chases the children through an underground 'forest' using an energy weapon and superhuman strength. A cab with children drives off the road and out of control down an embankment. An unknown threat with bright lights chases the cab through the dark. The cab almost crashes into the front of a train. An 'alien convention' includes some quick shots of people, some in scary looking costumes. Mysterious 'assassin' has a dark intimidating demeanour. The main characters are tied to tables in a lab where experimentation is discussed, but not visualized.

What do you do about movies?

maisiemog
04-02-2011, 10:50 AM
I only let my mindees watch PGs or U's if we watch a dvd, but try to stick to U's. If we do watch a PG I make sure I have seen it first and made sure that it wont be inappropriate.

It is a hard one though because my 4yr old neice is freaked out by watching anything with animals that talk so most disney films are out but she'll happily watch something with a bit of fighting in it so mostly I guess you need to know the child more than anything.

angeldelight
04-02-2011, 10:58 AM
I always watch them first

I think some PGs can be a bit :eek:

My older ones who are 10 are usually ok with them but I always always ask the parents first and I get their permission too

I stick to a U for the little ones

What film was it that the child watched ?

Angel xx

LOOPYLISA
04-02-2011, 11:29 AM
My dd is 13 in 3 weeks, she watches films For her age :thumbs

She's not watched a 15 , when she's 15 she can :D

I'm not a prude far from it but I think films have ratings for a reason

It's like computer games I know of someone who's sons plays this black ops or whatever it's called , he's 12 :rolleyes: and tell me if I'm wrong is that not a 18 rating ? And why ???

Sorry I can't remember your op :blush: x

angeldelight
04-02-2011, 11:33 AM
My dd is 13 in 3 weeks, she watches films For her age :thumbs

She's not watched a 15 , when she's 15 she can :D

I'm not a prude far from it but I think films have ratings for a reason

It's like computer games I know of someone who's sons plays this black ops or whatever it's called , he's 12 :rolleyes: and tell me if I'm wrong is that not a 18 rating ? And why ???

Sorry I can't remember your op :blush: x

I agree

I know a few 10 year olds who have black ops - have you seen it :eek: :eek: .The kids take no notice its all about fighting for them and about the game play

I said to one of them that it was an 18 and he said they are the best games and ones for their ages are for babies

I can not understand why you would even buy something that is for over 18s for a child :eek:

My hubby plays it and I think thats bad enough :laughing:

Angel xx

JCrakers
04-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I do monitor what my mindees watch and will only put a dvd on if I know its suitable for all. One of my 6yr olds loves harry potter at home but my other 6yr would find it too scary so I dont put it on here. We tend to watch nice animal dvds like Madagascar, Over the hedge,ice age etc.:D

Ive got mixed feelings really...if you watch Tom and Jerry which is an old cartoon that I used to love as a kid, it's very violent, they are always fighting and hitting each other over the head with things and always out to hurt each other..its got shotguns in too, they play with fireworks and dynamite, they play on railway lines and all the stuff you shouldnt do :eek: ...but the kids love it.

I obviously wouldnt let my mindees watch anything they shouldnt but i think a lot of kids films have some sort of mild violence. There are a lot of action movies that have weapons/stun darts etc...and boys seem to like that sort of stuff.

Becky x

jellytot
04-02-2011, 11:40 AM
for mindees I would stick to U but for my own kids I must admit they do watch older and DS does have black ops. I think its all down to the child. Violence and blood doesnt affect them as they have always been able to seperate reality. There are some films that go beyond and into gore where I have said no and also films that are too explicitly sexy I say no to. I do check a film first but would generally have no qualms about them watching older or playing older.

JCrakers
04-02-2011, 11:51 AM
for mindees I would stick to U but for my own kids I must admit they do watch older and DS does have black ops. I think its all down to the child. Violence and blood doesnt affect them as they have always been able to seperate reality. There are some films that go beyond and into gore where I have said no and also films that are too explicitly sexy I say no to. I do check a film first but would generally have no qualms about them watching older or playing older.

As a parent I am a lot more relaxed....my son also has black ops on xbox and plays online with his mates. All his mates have it so he would only go round to their house on the way home from school and play it so I bought it for him. He knows violence is not acceptable and hes a very loving boy..We have a very close relationship and talk openly about things...Its all about how you handle things really.

MaryMary
04-02-2011, 12:17 PM
My kids always watched age appropriate films, etc. They were wimps when it came to anything scary, my dd (now 19) had nightmares after watching Pinocchio once :D
We were probably more relaxed with the youngest (ds) as he loves comedy, and watches things like 'Mock the Week', etc. He is 12. We did come unstuck the other day when DH let him watch 'Not Going Out' with us, and it was about making a mucky movie :eek: The look on my DH's face was a picture, my 19 yo was cringeing & cracking up at the same time! :laughing: :laughing:
We have always said that he must be careful what he repeats in front of adults, but he quite sensible :blush:
My mindees watch disney type films, that are suitable for all. They only ever watch childrens/family dvd's. I haven't liked it when my kids have been subjected to unsuitable films at sleepovers, etc, so i wouldn't do that here :mad:
I think I might have a Friday film today :) to wind down after school for the weekend

singingcactus
04-02-2011, 01:08 PM
I only show films of correct rating to the kids in my care, but I think you are saying he watched this movie at home. It is up to his parents to decide really whether they want him to watch it or not. I allow my kids to watch certain films out of their age group, but with others I won't. I allow them to choose age 16+ games and they are 14 and they do have black ops, but certain visual can be turned off.
The kid who said games for their age group were babyish is quite right. There is very little for older kids to play that is not babyish or too old for them. Perhaps it's time for games writers to remember the middle age group of kids.

At the end of the day it is the person with parental responsibility to make the final decision about whether their own child is old enough to watch something or not.

Hebs
04-02-2011, 01:27 PM
My son is 11 and has black ops, hes also watched an 18 movie (law abiding citizen ) and personally i think Jurrassic Park which is a PG is scarier than that 18 movie!

As for mindees we watch U's only unless ive had permission to watch a specific PG movie,

My 11 year old mindee also has black ops!

Does that make me a bad parent? Maybe
;-)

~Chelle~
04-02-2011, 01:43 PM
I had a 4 year mindee old turn up with Grand Theft Auto (18:eek: ) in his DS once, needless to say that I told mum that he was not allowed to play this at my home but it was up to her what he watched/played at her home.

I think that parents know their kids and allow them to watch what they feel suitable for them.

Is this film suitable for this child?? You may not think so but the parents may feel otherwise.

At the end of the day, we can only control what goes in in our homes and what the children watch/play with, but you cannot control what goes on in other peoples homes, they are their children, therefore, their responsibilty. x

JCrakers
04-02-2011, 04:35 PM
My son is 11 and has black ops, hes also watched an 18 movie (law abiding citizen ) and personally i think Jurrassic Park which is a PG is scarier than that 18 movie!

As for mindees we watch U's only unless ive had permission to watch a specific PG movie,

My 11 year old mindee also has black ops!

Does that make me a bad parent? Maybe
;-)

Nah...my sons 11 and I dont know any of his friends that dont have it.