PDA

View Full Version : need some advice on carpet colours for my lounge which is where i work

honey
04-02-2011, 08:33 AM
we are decorating the lounge and need new carpet- i childmin in this room so i know it has to be clean. but i also have 2 dogs that have muddy paws. at the moment i have light beige carpet so you can see every little mark.

1, keep to light carpet so i can see the dirty marks. when i caome to clean it i can see if they are gone so i know its clean.

2, dark carpet - ie brown. so i cant see any dirty bits and when i do clean it it will be clean but wont be sure if the stains have gone.

Hubby will not have laminate flooring due to it being cold, we have laminate in our hall tho.
please help as its doing my head in.

kel1983
04-02-2011, 08:52 AM
We have a cream carpet in our dining room. Well I say cream it is more grey now. The worse choice of colour ever. and it looked like that before I started minding.

In our lounge we have a blue carpet. It hides all the dirty patches but shows up all the tiny bits of fluff, grass and other bits that have been carried in.

So really dont know what to advise.

sarah707
04-02-2011, 09:17 AM
I have laminate... if he is cold buy him extra socks and put a big rug down when you are not working.

It is sooooo easy to keep clean and you are not worrying about sick, sand, glitter and other mess :D

charleyfarley
04-02-2011, 09:22 AM
I have laminate... if he is cold buy him extra socks and put a big rug down when you are not working.

It is sooooo easy to keep clean and you are not worrying about sick, sand, glitter and other mess :D

We have laminate with a big rug too, so easy to clean and I don't worry about the children spilling anything on the floor. :thumbsup:

I really don't find it that cold to walk on unlike the tiles in the kitchen:panic:

Carol xx

mama2three
04-02-2011, 09:26 AM
My whole downstairs is laminate - I dont find it cold. It does show the dust but is so easy to wipe over and I know its hygeinic for my little one , unlike carpet with goodness knows what hiding in it.
Tell dh you are happy to compromise - a big rug for cosyness , you could even roll it up out of the way in the daytime.
Or tell him if he still wants carpet then he is in charge of cleaning it!

auntym
04-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Nothing but laminate for minding lol. Sweeps up then mops really easy. Got a black carpet for my daughters room . Worst mistake ever. Got dark blue textured for sons room . Best carpet ever bought. 5 years on its still like brand new.

linzi133
04-02-2011, 09:31 AM
I hated laminate too.....I found it too cold in our house house and when we moved I insisted on carpet.
In my playroom I have a brown carpet but it has a cream 'fleck' in it. It shows up most things but doesn't look too worn. (it's on,y been down a year though)

Actually looking at it, it is probably 50/50 brown and fawn.
I think it gas been perfect for minding

Blaze
04-02-2011, 10:14 AM
If it has to be carpet then go for something darker, with a lighter fleck in it - I clean my carpet monthly or as needed as standard (I put it through as an expense).
HTH:)

LOOPYLISA
04-02-2011, 10:19 AM
we are decorating the lounge and need new carpet- i childmin in this room so i know it has to be clean. but i also have 2 dogs that have muddy paws. at the moment i have light beige carpet so you can see every little mark.

1, keep to light carpet so i can see the dirty marks. when i caome to clean it i can see if they are gone so i know its clean.

2, dark carpet - ie brown. so i cant see any dirty bits and when i do clean it it will be clean but wont be sure if the stains have gone.

Hubby will not have laminate flooring due to it being cold, we have laminate in our hall tho.
please help as its doing my head in.

how about wood flooring?
We have this in the lounge, so much warmer than laminate :thumbsup:

appleblossom
04-02-2011, 10:44 AM
I have Amtico vinyl flooring in the hall and playroom. It looks like laminate, but is warmer and not as noisy when walked on. It is laid in strips with adhesive onto a new wooden board base, which is laid over normal floorboards. It sweeps and mops as easily as laminate. It comes in lots of designs. Ours looks like wooden flooring. I used to have varnished floor boards but heels and dropped objects marked it and heavy knocks and dragged items sometimes caused splinters to come up. i had to have it sanded and varnished regularly which was a real pain. It was noisy too.

WibbleWobble
04-02-2011, 11:46 AM
i have wood in the dining room/playrooom and lounge. Lounge has a great big rug in it too - we dont do messy play in there.

slippers have to be worn cos it gets a bit slippy!

mandy xxx

honey
04-02-2011, 11:56 AM
thanks ladies def something to think about, i will have words with him i think LOL

MaryMary
04-02-2011, 12:05 PM
My mum chose a 'spaghetti' coloured carpet when we were little! :eek: :D
But it was the seventies, so probably quite trendy then :laughing:
Laminate is quite practicle (good for toy cars too!).
Good luck on persuading hubby :thumbsup:

manjay
04-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Personally I don't like laminate. I have a sand coloured capret in my lounge which I use for minding and it's fine. The children don't eat drink or have messy play in there so no problems. Not sure about the dogs though as I don't do dogs:D

The Juggler
04-02-2011, 01:24 PM
my dh won't have laminate either. we have a coconut/muesli coloured waffle carpet which is v. hardwearing and is perfect for minding. Not my favourite choice of colour but needs must:)

solly
04-02-2011, 01:35 PM
When we decorated last April my DH suggested we get a new carpet as he hates laminate/wood flooring, I told him if we spent the money on a new carpet then i would give up childminding, He came round to my way of thinking and we had wood topped laminate flooring put down as I have a through lounge/diner.

I dint find it any colder really than when we had carpet, we have got the best insulation you can buy underneath. It was the best thing we did as i find it so much easier to clean

teacake2
04-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Carpet for me, needs must, OH is disabled and couldn't manage to get around on laminate or wood, and was very pleased when SN mindee was beginning to move around. I have quite a pale green with darker green flecks in. It is brilliant for keeping clean though, everything and I mean everything just wipes up off it with a baby wipe mainly and then once a month I give it a really good clean with vax cleaner.
Teacake2