PDA

View Full Version : Linking with other agencies

Noomie
03-02-2011, 10:00 PM
My inspection today highlighted that I need to ensure I am linking up with other agencies. I have had meetings with the nursery my 3 yr old mindees attend. What other agencies is my inspector talking about? One mindee I've had since beginning of Jan attends school and I am more than happy to meet with his teacher / SENCO, but it's only been a couple of weeks! Other mindees are 10 months and don't have any other places they attend.

I am more than happy to 'tick' this box but what is it I'm supposed to do?

Help!

samb
04-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Have you written a letter introducing yourself as the childminder of x with a permission from the parent for you to communicate? This is the only thing I have done so far. Oh and i gave mum 2 copies of my newsletter so she could give one to nursery (I only have him on days he doesn't go to nursery so I never see them). That's all I have done. I have not had any reply though. Oh and Mum leaves nursery communication book in lo bag for me to read.

suzyblue
04-02-2011, 11:56 AM
I think I am lacking in this area too but if you dont attend the school/nursery yourself it can be difficult, not that verbally communicating seems to count anyway as you have no evidence of this.
I use the schools/nuseries websites where I can download newsletters. You can also get copies of their curriculum plans for the term.

JCrakers
04-02-2011, 12:09 PM
I think this is one area where Ofsted have gone off their rocker a little.

I know the school my mindees attend haven't got time to sit with me in a meeting because I pick up a child and have them for 2hrs after school
and the nursery one of my mindees attends 1 day a week I never see them...do they really want to know what i'm up to....Really??

If the preschool I pick up my mindee from on a Monday is doing a certain topic and I have to work with them when am I supposed to fit this 'topic' in? She's only here for half a day and Ive got my own things planned. Apart from saying 'hows she been?' and 'ooh what a lovely picture youv'e made today' I really dont see how anything else can be done?

This is my one bugbear.....rant over :D
Becky x

singingcactus
04-02-2011, 01:19 PM
I would take 'agencies' to apply to more than other education or care settings. Agencies would be surestart/childrens centre, local HV, any local parenting group like gingerbread, maybe there is a church/mosque/temple toddler group where you are that you can forge links with, as well as school and nurseries. Ensuring you have the contact details for local services, and making sure you have introduced yourself to the kids HV - even if just by letter.

Noomie
04-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I go to two toddler groups that are in different churches which the inspector knew. We went into the church at Christmas time and the vicar spoke to all the children. I also am known at a play centre and receive emails about what's on there. I am just going to start going to my local sure start centre, I hadn't in the past as they had management problems and were on limited opening times (when beginning to go into childminding I considered running this centre instead), I go to the libraries - well known there, go to the toddlers that my support Childminder helps run, link up with other childminders during the week, speak regularly to Childminding Advisor with the council. I don't know. I'll see what happens and what I can do.

Do HV want to know who we are? Is that our role?:rolleyes: