PDA

View Full Version : Students in childminding settings

Angela234
18-04-2008, 10:06 PM
How do we stand with students?
Ihad 2 girls who live nearby come to my door asking if i would think about letting them 1 at a time come to me for work experiance they were saying that they are ment to try to go to several types of childcare including childminders? Has any body done this they didn't know how long how many hours? Itold them to come back when they know.
How does this work with Ofsted?
Iknow one has been at a local pre school last year she lives 2 doors up from me

Any advice would be greatful

Angela

angeldelight
18-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Well if they were coming from a college they would have police checks and they sort out their insurance

But if they have just knocked on your door for some work to earn some extra cash then no way would I let them - they would have had no police check and you are not insured

Angel xx

Tatia
19-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Don't pay them if it's for work experience.:laughing: They can pitch in and help out but must never be left alone with children or allowed to toilet them or change nappies. I would assume, if it's for college, that they'll have a form for you to sign. I know the students who worked at my DD's old playgroup were there for a very long time cos I assume they need to be working so many hours with children a week in order to do their work.

Mostly it depends what the work experience is for. My daughter did Year 10 work experience at same playgroup for just 2 weeks.

Pipsqueak
19-04-2008, 08:07 AM
I've had students with me before but it was arranged through the college and the EY team.

Both students (at different times) where great - you can't leave them alone with the children, they can't do anything "intimate" for the children and you have to make the student very aware of rules/boundaries etc.

If you are considering it I would contact your EY team.

Angela234
19-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks for your replies it is just work experiance not paid work i'll wait and see if they come back

Angela