PDA

View Full Version : I'm Good!

Noomie
03-02-2011, 09:50 PM
I had my first inspection today! I have been rated good!

I am really pleased with this result, especially given the circumstances. I have had one new mindee start every week in January and an assistant too. One mindee (started late Jan) isn't completely settled yet and we had FIVE under 3's here this morning as well as two before school children.

I was told by the inspector that first inspections don't get outstanding so clearly even if there were any aspects (I am saying IF by the way, there may not have been any) that were better than good then I wouldn't have been awarded them.

Things to work on:
*Separate hand towels for each child (that means 9 hand towels / day!!! Where do I store them?)
*Working with other agencies (I have had meetings with my 3 yr old's nursery but that is not enough - will ask this question on another thread)
*Not just doing multicultural activities (as was recognised that I do), ensuring I do activities from the cultures of the children I mind (most of whom I've only been minding since Jan!)

When do we get inspected next?

miffy
03-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Congratulations on your good grade - that's an excellent result! :clapping:

There's usually around 3 years between routine inspections, although it could be earlier or later.

Miffy xx

sarah707
03-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Well done you! :clapping:

I'd use kitchen roll - buy in bulk from the cash and carry and tear off a piece per child.

There is no reason why a new childminder cannot get outstanding if the provision is outstanding. A number of members on here have had outstanding on their first inspection. if you feel areas of your provision are outstanding then you should appeal.

Hth :D

The Juggler
03-02-2011, 10:05 PM
fab result honey:clapping: :clapping:

Noomie
03-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Interesting Sarah. I am more than happy with Good and won't appeal. However, there wasn't ONE piece of paperwork out of place, anything non-essential that hadn't been done yet I am aware of and is on my action plan to do soon, she was more than pleased with the progress of children in my care (wanted to take a photo of the activity we were doing as it was integrated across areas and involved problem solving, making decisions, developing skills, was challenging, etc, linked to next steps, what the nursery had told me in my visit and the EYFS).

I do feel that the things she has told me I must fix are relatively simple (eg. hand towels). But what I want to know is how to make all my good aspects outstanding. There was no guidance for that and why it was considered good and not outstanding, ifyswim?

She clearly told me that you don't get outstanding on first inspections, that a new childminder hasn't shown consistent good practice over time, etc. This is definitely the view of some inspectors.

A childminder around the corner was inspected by a different inspector. She only uses one hand towel per day which she changes daily. Wasn't an issue for her. Does make you want to grumble a bit.

samb
04-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi Noomie - well done on your inspection.

I use flanels for each child as handtowels. I only have 2 at a time so not as much of an issue with space as your 9! But inspector was happy I had something different for each - they are colour coded so child always knows which is theirs. I bought them in Wilkinsons - think they were about 30p each. You can also get a pack of 10 in Ikea for about £3 - they are white with different coloured loops at the top. That might be a good idea for you as you could hook them up?

I agree with you on the way that they praise you for something and then say "good" it leaves you wondering how to get outstanding. I am just hoping that over the next 3 years til the next inspection I will pick up tips from here and from other minders in my area and from doing sef etc I will improve too. Oh and by the way I got good over all in my inspection but 2 of my areas were marked as outstanding - so possible to get outstanding on first inspection.

mufftie
04-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Wel done you need a medal for that ,having 5 under3 at the time , some days I have 5 and I'm dreading having that many while ofsted are present and im d
Over due my inspection so it will be anyway now :panic:

angeldelight
04-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Well done to you

Thats great news

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Angel xx

snufflepuff
04-02-2011, 12:39 PM
WELL DONE! Really pleased for you hun!

It is a shame how inconsistent things can be- I was told that outstanding is not given on first inspections when I know from here that it does happen!