PDA

View Full Version : Traumitised!

Clever Clogs
18-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi there

Have calmed down a little now but was feeling quite traumitised earlier today. I had my first mindee today that was completely unknown to me (other few have been neighbours or family). He is only 18 months old but a complete whirlwind of destruction, hitting and falling over but also a lovely wee boy with such an infectious laugh. And I only had him an hour! How do you cope? I know it's probably that age (and am now beginning to panic when my son reaches that age - he's only 10 months just now). I forgot how stressful it is when they are not too steady on their feet and just want to throw everything that is in their way. At one point I thought he was going to throw a hard learning toy through my tv! Then of course my daughter (6) decided to run into the kitchen (laminate flooring) and he donethe same, skidded and almost battered his head against the table!! He kept wanting to take toys of his sister (who I also had), my son and took great delight in throwing crayons at my daughter. He fell over and laughed so we laughed - which made him do it again ... and again . . . and again to the point where he was almost hitting his head against my tv unit.

And I only had him an hour!!!

Is this normal? Am I cut out for this I've been asking. I'm dreading having him on a nice day cause I will be a complete nervous wreck if I have him out in my garden. Please tell me I'm not alone in my panic and give me and pointers for dealing with the constant falls and tumble of someone this age.

Thanks
Tracey

Lottie
18-04-2008, 09:55 PM
My middle son was exactly the same. His head was made of rubber I swear! He was always bumping his head and falling over. He is 8 now and perfectly fine and healthy.

It's just the age, I wouldn't be too concerned about this but maybe, even at 18 months, you should start teaching him his boundaries. For example, if he attempts to throw a toy at the television again take the toy off him and say 'no' quietly and kindly but firmly. If he does it again and again just keep repeating yourself, it will slowly sink in.

angeldelight
18-04-2008, 11:34 PM
It does sound like you had a really hectic day and start with the little boy

Things will calm down when he gets to know your ground rules - going to throw a toy at the TV is not acceptable and I hope you let him know this ?

My grandson is 18mths and he would not even attempt to do that but other children are different - they need guildlines so im sure he will calm down - hopefully

Also throwing crayons take them off the children that are throwing them. You need to be firm here

Toddlers can be unsteady on their feet and can sometimes run to fast and bump into things and fall over - I wouldnt worry to much he wont get hurt - my grandson falls over all the time hes got heaps of bruises to show for it - but he just gets up with no fuss or bother

You will soon get used to these things just keep a careful eye on him so there are no dangers

Good luck I hope he settles with you soon

Angel xx

crazybones
19-04-2008, 06:20 AM
I have one like this. He is 2 years 3 months but I find it easier in the garden because it is safer for him as he just wants to tear about and indoors he can be a bit destructive with toys. (He has actually broken more toys in the last 9 months than all my other mindees put together over 8 years :rolleyes: ) He knows what he shouldnt touch in the garden but he still tries but mostly he wants to tear about or go up and down the slide. I agree with Angel, try and set some boundarys with him right away. Good Luck. :thumbsup: