PDA

View Full Version : Is there any more financial help available?

anklebiters
03-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Potentially a long one - sorry!

Yippee!! - A single parent has asked me if I could provide care for two, possibly three of her children. She is training to be a paramedic and as such her 12 hour shifts are a bit hit and miss. I will know in advance what care she requires.

She would need me to look after two of her children (5 & 8) on two consecutive nights followed by two consecutive days followed by four days off, this will be a rolling programme of care which obviously will include school holidays and weekends. I would be required to look after the third child (11)during the day time only whilst her day shift falls on the weekend or during school holidays (only on the rare occasion for the third child overnight).

We all got on really well when we met, her children and mine, and she especially was lovely, which is why I have put in for a variation with ofsted already for overnight care. She is really keen for me to look after them, however, she has since found out that tax credits will only pay up to £300 per week to cover childcare costs. The father is unable to contribute towards the childrens care or financially for reasons beyond their control.

My rates are £5 per child per hour, I would not charge any extra for weekend care, bank holidays, being on hand to collect the children during the day from school if ill etc or for anti social hours.

However I have a feeling that I may end up out of pocket if she could not find any further sources of financial help to cover the costs.:( Then again, am I being greedy? I dont wish to lose them, especially if Ofsted agree, as any additional money at the moment would be welcome.:rolleyes:

Is there any further financial help she could be entitled to? She is not sure as to whether her work could help out or if there is a childcare voucher scheme. If there was a scheme, would this affect the £300 per week she could claim? Could she be entitled to anything from job seekers allowance perhaps? Please advise your thoughts. What would you do?

Many thanks

FussyElmo
03-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Dont think there is tbh. Most parents either use tax credits or the employer vocher system dont think you can use both at the same time.

rickysmiths
03-02-2011, 02:22 PM
If she is a Paramedic employed by the NHS through her local area health Authority then they will be part of a voucher scheme, she needs to ask her Human Resourses Dept. If she claims the vouchers this will affect the way her tax credits are calculated.

No you are not being greedy, you have an hourly rate and that applies to any parent who comes to you. She will realise that overnight care is hard to get and is asking a lot of the carer.

sweets
03-02-2011, 02:25 PM
dont feel guilty or greedy for charging your fees, she has chosen to go into that job and knows what the shift patterns are. to be honest i think its hard to work a job like that as a single parent with 3 children that still need childcare!

jane5
03-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I dont think you are being greedy and I would be careful that you do not take on to much for not enough money, for example bankholidays and weekend care for no extra money :(

If I have worked it out correctly you could be having the youngest children about 48 hours per week which is a lot.

Dont sell yourself short because you want to help her out because you may regret it in the long term:thumbsup: .

anklebiters
03-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Thank you very much guys for your prompt replies. I must admit I'm ashamed to say that initially I saw pound signs when I first met her:D , but they seem to be fading fast:( !!

She is going to speak to her human resources department tomorrow, but tbh I don't hold out much hope now.

I'll stand my ground for as long as possible regarding my charges and fingers crossed, you never know.....someones got to win the lottery!

If there is anyone else who is aware about any help concerning job seekers allowance, i'd be very grateful for your feedback.