PDA

View Full Version : putting up my fee

JCrakers
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi,

For the past 3.5yrs I have charged £3 per hr with snacks and 1 meal included for full time children.

Having looked at what other childminders charge in the area (£3-£4) I'm putting up my fees 50p an hour from the 1st of April.

Has anyone had problems with parents when they have put up their fees? Has anyone left because of it?

Thanks
Becky

FussyElmo
03-02-2011, 01:39 PM
No but I tend to only increase it slighly so parents dont feel the difference.

50p doesnt sound alot but if they are with you for 40 hours its £20 a week so £80 a month which sounds alot in the current financial climate.

However if they only do 10 hours its only a £5 a week (£20 month) so doesnt sound so bad.

Think when I next increase my fees it will be for new parents only :)

JCrakers
03-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Yes I have a family of three and if I put theirs up it will be £130 a month more so I was thinking not to raise theirs?

Or maybe raise theirs 25p?

I have been working out how much more each family would have to pay as to not increase it too high.
Family 1 - £24 a month more
Family 2 - £29 a month more
Family 3+4 - £8 a month more
Family 5 - £16 a month more

So it's just the family with 3 children that is going to be a huge raise so I might keep theirs without a raise..

Becky

caz3007
03-02-2011, 01:48 PM
I must admit I raise mine for new contracts and have lost out really on some that have been here for years, but hey ho it works for me and I dont have to ask for more money from parents that are brill payers.

jane5
03-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Yes I have a family of three and if I put theirs up it will be £130 a month more so I was thinking not to raise theirs?

Or maybe raise theirs 25p?

I have been working out how much more each family would have to pay as to not increase it too high.
Family 1 - £24 a month more
Family 2 - £29 a month more
Family 3+4 - £8 a month more
Family 5 - £16 a month more

So it's just the family with 3 children that is going to be a huge raise so I might keep theirs without a raise..

Becky

I dont think they should complain about that really.

I think you are right not to raise the family of 3's fees as £130.00 a month raise is a lot at this time, maybe put it up a little though

Chimps Childminding
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I always planned to put mine up by 10p per year, but never quite got round to doing it!!!:blush: And have only increased it when someone new starts, so now have lots of my parents paying different amounts and have to remember what to charge who when I come to do bills :rolleyes:

Mrs Pootle
03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I only work term time, and so I am planning on putting mine up from the new school year in Sept. My existing mindees will be going to school full time then, and so will move to an "after schoolie" contract, and so I doubt mum will notice the change.
Anyone new will start at the new rate. I am going to put a note in my next Newsletter so that existing parents are made aware that there will be a change from September.

It's a small world
03-02-2011, 04:43 PM
I recently (Monday) advised parent I would be increasing my before school fees from £1 a day to £3 a day x2 siblings so £6 instead of £2. Contract was 8.30-9.00 but over past couple of months theyve been coming earlier 8.15. Plus they wind my children up etc. Decided it wasnt worth the money so decided to up fees. Had a lot of help wording it to parents from people on here. Gave parent letter and they queried what it was so told them and they said that's fine (despite me having hardly any sleep the night before due to worrying..) The new fees means parent will be paying £138 next month as opposed to £46 BIG difference but they were fine and Im better off. I was so scared of losing them despite problems but needed the money. Hopefully parents will be ok for you.

Sending hugs and good lucks :thumbsup:

funemnx
03-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I charge £3.00 and hour, going up to £3.15 in April. Got talking to another childminder nearby and the going rate is £4.00. When I worked out how much more I would earn, it worked out as an extra £730 a month!!!!

I don't think I'd get away with going up a £1.00 an hour but it would be nice.... :blush:

jo f
03-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Last April I put mine up to £3.25.
What a pain!!!!!! Parents didn't bother at all but blinkin ek my fees are a pain and i end up rounding down to save the hastle for parents who all pay in cash. Maybe I should have a money tin with lots of change in. Its just a pain!!!!!

jane5
03-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Last April I put mine up to £3.25.
What a pain!!!!!! Parents didn't bother at all but blinkin ek my fees are a pain and i end up rounding down to save the hastle for parents who all pay in cash. Maybe I should have a money tin with lots of change in. Its just a pain!!!!!

Eeerrr yes get a money tin:eek:

Add it all up and see what you would lose over a year, I bet you would be surprised :D

mufftie
04-02-2011, 07:12 AM

thats what i do , when im comfortable with the amount of children ive got and dont really want any more , i put up my fee for new children so it dosnt matter if parents are put off as im not looking anyway , then when someone does enquire its at a bonus price :thumbsup:

amanda1309
04-02-2011, 08:27 AM

This is what I did last time I increased my fees. It worked well for me.

JCrakers
10-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Phew...I did it and all was fine. A 50p rise went down well and all parents were expecting a rise and a couple thought it was overdue :D
Decided on a smaller rise for my full time 3 child family and they were expecting it too and were happy.
Now I'll have a bit more monthly money...YAY :clapping:

Thanks all.