PDA

View Full Version : keys for window locks - pre-reg visit

nb73
03-02-2011, 09:11 AM
i have my pre-reg visit next week, however, I cannot find the keys for the window locks. they are in the house somewhere (apart from turning the house upside down to find them!), the window locks aren't actually locked, but when ofsted come round, they will expect me to have a key for each set of windows? (as my NCMA DO told me this). What will they do if I can't find them? The children won't be able to open the windows anyway as the top latch is too high for them to reach (have put this on my risk assessment). Also, if I do find them, I know there isn't a key for every set of windows, so I will have to get more keys cut?
Thanks!

amirose
03-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Not all windows have exisitng locks anyway, I only have them on the windows in the lounge (and these are kept on the net curtain hook).
To me it sounds as though you have risk assessed it and have deemed it to be safe, this is what you tell Ofsted.
The fact the windows are NOT locked is fantastic as if they were all locked and couldn't be opened that would be really dangerous in a fire! Maybe that's why it was mentioned before.

caz3007
03-02-2011, 09:35 AM
I have window locks but we never got the keys when we moved in. They arent locked and you have to push a button and turn the handle at the same time. Children dont have access to the windows anyway and never had this mentioned at any of my inspections.

So would say as long as the windows can be opened, then dont worry

~Grasshopper~
03-02-2011, 10:26 AM
at my pre reg all she said was i would need to lock my windows when minding as they are big windows with easy openers.
on saying that when ds1 locked me out he couldnt bloodly open it to let me in lol. he is 3 :) he did pass me the phone and a banana throught the letter box though :) lesson learnt there.

anyhow she didnt ask to see keys or anything. x

samanthat6987
03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Now this is just my opinion and unfortunately everyone is told different things from their local officials etc but I would say that if you do not have the key then you would need to change the lock handles (most are quite simple).

They are quite easy to lock for little exploring hands. If there is a fire ground floor windows are an escape route should you be unable to make a door.

Good luck

caz3007
03-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Now this is just my opinion and unfortunately everyone is told different things from their local officials etc but I would say that if you do not have the key then you would need to change the lock handles (most are quite simple).

They are quite easy to lock for little exploring hands. If there is a fire ground floor windows are an escape route should you be unable to make a door.

Good luck

The op said the windows arent locked, so how would a LO be able to lock them without the key. Mine arent locked and like I said we have no keys for them at all and without the key they wouldnt be able to be locked. To open we have to push a button and turn the handle, which would be difficult for a small child to do and fall out, but in an emergency I wouldnt have a problem. When I moved in here my DS was 1 and I certainly wouldnt have put him at risk.

I am sure the OP's are similar

rickysmiths
03-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I have child preventers on all my opening large windows upstairs and downstairs. They are fitted into the track of the windows so they ony open so far so a child could not fall out of them.

swindonminder
03-02-2011, 02:20 PM
I have child preventers as well and my windows are always unlocked even though I have the keys in a draw. When I had my pre-reg visit she didnt even look at the windows or say anything about them. She did mention the front door, I just said it would be locked when minded children are here and the key would be left on a hook next to the door if there ever was an emergency. :)

sweets
03-02-2011, 05:15 PM
at my pre reg all she said was i would need to lock my windows when minding as they are big windows with easy openers.
on saying that when ds1 locked me out he couldnt bloodly open it to let me in lol. he is 3 :) he did pass me the phone and a banana throught the letter box though :) lesson learnt there.

anyhow she didnt ask to see keys or anything. x

sorry but that made me laugh! a banana! :laughing:

i dont have keys for all my windows, but i would never have them locked anyway as i think its dangerous, mine are tricky to open, have to push the button in and turn the handle up on both sides at the same time so virtually impossible for a toddler anyway.