PDA

View Full Version : Development Workers....GONE

claire'scherubs
02-02-2011, 10:03 PM
just been informed that all area DO's are having to re apply for their jobs, that is if they have one.

NCMA are having a big re organisation and it looks like DO are going and its all been handled by Bromley

Hmmm do I renew in June then or just go over to MM??????

Pixie dust
02-02-2011, 10:07 PM
That must be just in your area..as ours are not employed by NCMA.

button68
02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Mine come though Surestart.

manjay
02-02-2011, 10:12 PM
This usually happens each year! In most areas they are funded by your local council and they are making the cuts so a lot won't have contracts renewed this year. They just work to an NCMA model.

Shouldn't really make any difference who you have your public libility insurance with:D

youarewhatyoueat
02-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Half of ours have gone but its nothing to do with ncma its the local councils and all staff had warning letters last year, this has been on the cards for ages, but the councils have now been told what their budgets are for the coming year and some have decided to cut the childrens budget.
In our area its only been cut by 11% so the surestart centres are safe but the childminding support staff and training will be hit.

rickysmiths
02-02-2011, 10:24 PM
just been informed that all area DO's are having to re apply for their jobs, that is if they have one.

NCMA are having a big re organisation and it looks like DO are going and its all been handled by Bromley

Hmmm do I renew in June then or just go over to MM??????

Its not NCMA it is individual LAs who have employed the NCMA staff who are making cuts. All ours in Hertfordshire go at the end of March because Herts have not renewed the Contract with NCMA.

Penny1959
03-02-2011, 05:44 AM
All our DO's are also having to reapply for jobs (will be less jobs available , and less pay MORE work for those who do get new posts) - all down to council budget cuts.

As others have said nothing to do with NCMA - I used to be be employed by NCMA but my post was paid for by local council - when they didn't renew contract with NCMA - my job with NCMA ceased to exsist.

Penny :)

The Juggler
03-02-2011, 08:07 AM
we've only got 2 in our LA, one is for childminding. goodness knows what'll happen in april - ours are not NCMA but doesn't look like we'll keep them which means our network might never take off - there will be no-one to run it:(

kindredspirits
03-02-2011, 09:32 AM
I've seen my DO once in 3 years so I can't see it making a significant amount of difference. :rolleyes:

Mouse
03-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Our council hasn't renewed its contract with NCMA, so we're losing a lot of support staff. They're also restructuring the whol of the Early Years department, so I don't think we'll actually have any dedicated childminding support staff left.

Bridey
03-02-2011, 10:41 AM
I've seen my DO once in 3 years so I can't see it making a significant amount of difference. :rolleyes:

I've never seen one. I didn't know they existed until I joined this forum!

angeldelight
03-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Longer here

:laughing: :laughing:

xx

manjay
03-02-2011, 11:09 AM
It completely depends on your area and the remit the staff have. I only saw my DO a couple of times whilst I was registering as that is what she is supposed to do. I could have phoned her at any time for more help if I had needed it.

My Network co-ordinator has a whole different remit and it will make a huge difference to me if her job goes. Without our network I would no longer be able to offer funded care for families in crisis, early years education or Flying start placements for 2 year olds.

Makes me quite sad that NCMA yet again get the blame:rolleyes:

FussyElmo
03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
It completely depends on your area and the remit the staff have. I only saw my DO a couple of times whilst I was registering as that is what she is supposed to do. I could have phoned her at any time for more help if I had needed it.

My Network co-ordinator has a whole different remit and it will make a huge difference to me if her job goes. Without our network I would no longer be able to offer funded care for families in crisis, early years education or Flying start placements for 2 year olds.

Makes me quite sad that NCMA yet again get the blame:rolleyes:

Same here we are still waiting to hear about the restructuring here. But it is not the NCMA who is responsible but the local councils who are cutting back to try and save money. Im hoping that my DO keeps her job as she is wonderful and helpful :)

Blaze
03-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Surrey didn't renew the NCMA contract just as I started minding, as they decided they could do it cheaper themselves & cut out the middle man (NCMA) ...perhaps some LA's may do this like Surrey did years ago? We're still waiting here to find out what will happen in April:panic: ...Like Manjay if I loose my network co-ordinator I will no longer be able to offer the EYE.

claire'scherubs
03-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Ok to all those that have been saying that I am blaming NCMA for the cuts then I apologise.

That is what I have always been told by the DO that they are employed by the NCMA, they wear NCMA badges AND last night the DO told us last night that they were in a 90 day consultation over the predicament with NCMA and that should we wish to complain then contact NCMA and that all our enquiries would no doubt be directed straight to BROMLEY from here on and especially from the 18th April.

SO totally confused now and don't know what to thinki

RachelE
03-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Ours too works for NCMA, but NCMA just got the contract off the local early years, so it can be provided by anyone who wins the contract.

Ours are likely to go as Lincolnshire County COuncil are cutting 100's of jobs in Early years and arent likely to keep peopple from outside the council.

One of my mindees Mum also wortks for the early years dept, so I may lose them too! :(

Its not a safe world in any job at the moment.

Rachel x

claire'scherubs
03-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Ours too works for NCMA, but NCMA just got the contract off the local early years, so it can be provided by anyone who wins the contract.

Ours are likely to go as Lincolnshire County COuncil are cutting 100's of jobs in Early years and arent likely to keep peopple from outside the council.

One of my mindees Mum also wortks for the early years dept, so I may lose them too! :(

Its not a safe world in any job at the moment.

Rachel x

Rachel......thank you, it is Lincolnshire County Council

claire'scherubs
03-02-2011, 02:31 PM
And can I also say that they are ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT DO's and do a great job and will be sorely missed

manjay
03-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Ok to all those that have been saying that I am blaming NCMA for the cuts then I apologise.

That is what I have always been told by the DO that they are employed by the NCMA, they wear NCMA badges AND last night the DO told us last night that they were in a 90 day consultation over the predicament with NCMA and that should we wish to complain then contact NCMA and that all our enquiries would no doubt be directed straight to BROMLEY from here on and especially from the 18th April.

Definitely not blaming you Claire:D I just wish sometimes that I could wave a magic wand and it would be explained to everyone how these things work. There are many at fault over that like the councils and maybe NCMA for not making it clear.

My network coordinator had exactly the same happen for the last 2 years with the 90 day consultation but then our council agreed to pay for her (via NCMA) for another 12 months. This year I am not so sure it is going to happen.

teacake2
03-02-2011, 03:15 PM
We are in the same predicament on our network, but as usual everyone is burying their heads and not prepared to talk about it, so I could be losing three children if I can't deliver the EYE, so I will be having to look for a job as well:angry: :angry: :angry:
Teacake2

Kelly
09-03-2011, 11:05 PM

It is very confusing and as it has already been pointed out both the LA and NCMA could have handled informing childminders in a a 'less confusing way'. Until recently I worked for NCMA and our contract was not renewed by the LA. We were very limited to what we could say to childminders as the LA seemed to want to say you are loosing your development officer, but not in such a clear way that it caused uproar!

The development officers work for the NCMA but will be governed by a LA contract, so when the LA did not renew the contract then the funding to NCMA to employ the staff ceases.

Mosts regions who did not have their contract renewed contacted childminders to ask them for their feedback which is collated at Bromely and then passed back to the LA, there is actually not alot that can be done at this stage but its always worth sending to local MP's etc to try and get some backing to secure funding.

I know that we had our hands tied to what we could tell childminders by the LA which caused alot of confusion, alot of childminders in the area confused the job of a development officer with what service they recieved from their NCMA membership, infact some thought that their membership funded the NCMA staff.

Obviously I feel fo rmy ex colleauges as where I worked not just the NCMA are being made redundant but nearly the whole early years workforce, but just as importantly in an area where there has been alot of support, I worry who is now going to offer this support, according to the LA, the children's centre manager, which is fine if they are pro-childminders and has some knowledge and understanding of what we do, but if not where do you go for advice and support? here I suppose :)

Blackcat
10-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Ares in blackburn with darwen seem to be unknown at the moment, well at least mine , she never knows if she is coming or going anyway

Chell
10-03-2011, 08:01 AM
In this area they don't know if Northants Childminding Association will exisitafter April. Nobody knows yet.

buildingblocks
11-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Think its the same in all areas Early Years seems to be taking the hit everywhere. I know in North Lincolnshire they were meeting last week I think to decide where the cuts were being made there was a big meeting. They are now waiting to hear who still has a job.

We could lose really good lead teachers and DO's and no doubt the higher ups sat in offices who make stupid decisions will get to keep there jobs.

jax clinch
13-03-2013, 08:39 PM
We have just been told that our development worker loses her job at the end of the month..... She only found out herself last week!!! Lincolnshire county council isn't funding NCMA in Lincolnshire any more so support will be non existent!! We are losing a very good development worker :(