PDA

View Full Version : Best resources for over 8's?

Starfish007
02-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Hi all, my local council have been given a grant to help childminders in the area get resources for 8-14 year olds. Im thinking of applying for part of the grant but have only as yet cared for birth-8 years resulting in me having no resources, toys, equipment or anything at all for this age group.

When applying for the grant I have to state what i would be wanting to purchase, the grant would be for £1500, could anybody advice me on what would be best to buy, bareing in mind i have nothing for this age group.

Thanks in advance.

Linda Loo x

Ali56
02-02-2011, 08:01 PM
I would probably buy things like a basketball hoop, football goal/balls, scooters, skipping ropes, hoops etc for the outside. Then things like lego, knex, magnetix, marble run, Wii maybe?, puzzles, games-all mine love board games and play them all the time!
That does all depend on whether you have somewhere they can play away from little ones, although most of it is suitable from 3/4yrs old.
Lucky you with the grant-which is your local council?
Happy choosing!:clapping: :clapping:

Starfish007
02-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Its Calderdale council in Halifax, I may not get the grant as I dont currently have any over 8's but thought I may as well apply. Thankyou for the quick reply, some great ideas.

Linda Loo x

youarewhatyoueat
02-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I would get a couple of laptops so older children could do research for homework , you could buy word shark or a maths programme as well. Remote control cars, small tv and wii. The IT stuff is always so expensive and its the stuff that you would probably be unlikely to buy yourself.
Have a look on the TES website, you shouldn't have any trouble spending it!!

Ali56
03-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I would get a couple of laptops so older children could do research for homework , you could buy word shark or a maths programme as well. Remote control cars, small tv and wii. The IT stuff is always so expensive and its the stuff that you would probably be unlikely to buy yourself.
Have a look on the TES website, you shouldn't have any trouble spending it!!

Oh yes-forgot about a laptop-definately get one of those! I got one last year within a grant I got for outdoor and IT equipment!:D