PDA

View Full Version : lack of motivation and...everything else really!

Helen Dempster
02-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Everyone on here seems to have this childminding lark sussed....apart from me. I'm really struggling with it all and can't get motivated, can't think of things to do and when I can, can't get the kids interested as most of them are after-schoolies and just want to chill. I just can't seem to get my head round any of it - you all put me to shame :blush: :blush: How do you do it???

singingcactus
02-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I love my current after school kids. I just chill out, they get on do whatever they want, be it play with toys, or chill or whatever. My role is to be there mostly to talk and chat with the kids. I ensure their brains and body are hydrated, i ensure there are adequate resources for them to choose from, and then the rest is up to them.
If you are trying to over provide for them, maybe you could take a step back. I know this is hard and it helps to have a tool of some sort to aid you in stepping back. For example, a lightweight magazine, some cross stitch (if you like that kind of thing), a folder with your planning in...something that creates a small, moveable, but obvious barrier between you and the kids.
Lay some stuff out, sit down and let the kids show you what they can do on their own. Just chat to them about anything while you stay back from their space.
You don't sound like you have a motivation problem at all, you sound very motivated. Watch the kids, they are telling you to chill with them.

JCrakers
02-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Dont be daft..i bet you are doing a grand job :thumbsup:
Best thing to do is not to focus on what everyone else is doing on here and everyone has their bad days/weeks.

I dont do any activities with the afterschool crowd as they are just too tired from school. They take it easy and watch a bit of TV or play on the wii or colour, play with each other. I dont plan anything for them as I do crafts etc in the day with the under 5's...everyone may not agree with this but I got a Good from Ofsted so obviously doing something right.:D

I get a bit frustrated sometimes if I dont have a house full because when its busier its more motivating and theres always something going on. When its quieter it can be quite a slow day especially in half terms.

I think there is a lot of pressure on childminders to be doing far too much than they need to and then we get stressed and unhappy.

Hope you are feeling better soon and hope someone else has some good advice
Becky x

Mcgons
02-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Everyone on here seems to have this childminding lark sussed....apart from me. I'm really struggling with it all and can't get motivated, can't think of things to do and when I can, can't get the kids interested as most of them are after-schoolies and just want to chill. I just can't seem to get my head round any of it - you all put me to shame :blush: :blush: How do you do it???

I feel like this sometimes especially when I read/see what everyone else is doing so you're not the only one. The expectations I set for myself are too high (so I'm told) so if you're the same just take a step back like said in the previous posts and look at what you do actually do, probably more than you think. I'm sure you're doing a great job!

Siana
02-02-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm sure you are doing a grand job.

For what it's worth I'd have no idea what to do with after schoolies! I have under 5's during the day and wouldn't know what older children would be interested in doing.

Penny1959
02-02-2011, 11:39 AM

Don't be so hard on yourself - I think I may be one of the ones who comes across as motivated, organised etc, - and usually I am - BUT this week we have got to Wednesday - and just can't get going!

Not helped by fact that 2 full timers are off sick - no excuse - but planning not done (in my head Jelly play for Mon, Chinese new year for Thursday , Chatterbox challenge - on paper NOTHING) weekly online newsletter not done, weekly shop not done and now running out of main meals.

However I am not being hard on myself - mindees are fine - we have done LOTS and next week I should find the motivation - and if not - so what?

Why not have a think about all the things that have gone well, all the learning and development that will have happened. And prehaps more importantly - ask your mindees their view on what they like at your setting - I bet they think it is great - and if not - well ask them what they want to do and provide for those ideas - job done.

Penny :)