PDA

View Full Version : child with conjunctivitis

TRACEY1969
02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I caught conjunctivitis from a mindee a few years ago and was really bad and had to close for 2 days due to this. At that time there was an exclusion period, but now the new infectious forms state no exclusion period. A cm friend of mine rung me up one of her mindees have it in both eyes and she rung the DO and she said we still have to provide care. TBH i wouldn't like to even though i have to what are your thoughts on this and can i refuse childcare even though theres no exclusion period because you can catch this very easily and you have to wipe everything down all the time because of cross contamination.

Also had one with tonsillitis and there's no exclusion period for that either, poor mindee could't even swollow and was crying where do we draw the line.

Pipsqueak
02-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Its your business rules - so tell that DO to come and provide care for a contagious/ill child if she is so keen.

There is no HAVE to about it.

If a child is ill with tonsillitus and they are too ill to join in normal every day actvities and routines then they should be at home. if they have a fever, etc they need to be at home. An ill child should be at home with mum/dad. You are not a nurse you are a childminder and you have a duty of care towards you/your own family and other children in your care. PERIOD

re conjunctivitus - everyone has difference of opinion on this - personally I don';t want a child back with me - especially a littlie who has no concept of hygiene until their eyes are clear of gunk and not weeping - preferably after treatment.

Again I reiterate - your business your rules

AliceK
02-02-2011, 10:04 AM
As has already been said it's your business and so your rules. Although the HPA says no exclusion is neccs that doesn't mean you can't exclude if you want to.
My DD (aged 3) got conjuntivitus a couple of weeks ago. I dropped her at nursery in the morning she was fine, they called me at 10.30 and when I got up there one of her eyes was really bad. I took her home, bought some eye drops and started her with them that lunchtime. Nursery don't have an exclusion policy for this but I kept her off the next day anyway. Her eye looked better after a couple of days and I kept up the drops for 5 days just in case. I upped the hygiene measures in the house and no-one else caught it. Personally I don't exclude for it as long as the child is having treatment. You can buy drops from the pharmacy so treatment can begin as soon as you notice the gunk. No excuses!!!

xxxx

tracey36
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
i personally wouldnt have a child with this as it spreads like wildfire and isnt fair to you or the other children in your care normally once treated should only take a couple of days to clear

Nicky
02-02-2011, 11:27 AM
I had a baby last week who had it, and I excluded, the parent was fine, and just oh yes its highly contagious....dont blame you for excluding! (I know not all parents are like this though).

I think it is worth excluding, it is terribly infectious and in little ones it is too hard to keep everything clean, they rub their eyes, touch the toys...unreasonable to follow them round with anti bac!

grindal
02-02-2011, 11:49 AM
I ask parents to get eye drops from the doc and keep los off for 24 hours after starting treatment. However, when my son had this a couple of weeks ago, my gp prescribed antibiotic ointment, but said it would clear up by itself in a couple of days and would not make any difference if he used the ointment or not :panic: :panic:

We only used it the once - maybe he was lucky and just had a mild case, but I think some gps are reluctant to treat it anyway.

flowerpots
02-02-2011, 12:46 PM
i personally NEVER accept a child with it because i ALWAYS catch it and get it very bad :panic: and if i get it i close :rolleyes:
its your business, do what you like :)

im a conjunctavitus (sp) HATER lol :blush:

Mookins
02-02-2011, 12:56 PM
i personally NEVER accept a child with it because i ALWAYS catch it and get it very bad :panic: and if i get it i close :rolleyes:
its your business, do what you like :)

im a conjunctavitus (sp) HATER lol :blush:

agreed completely...i suffered with this a lot as a child bloomin awful

xx

sandy64
02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
i personally would exclude as others have said its high infectious plus you would spend the whole day sterilising all the toys lo had touched it is your buisness and you have a right to refuse:)

Baildon bears
02-02-2011, 06:25 PM
I saw a childminder at a playgroup a while ago with a mindees eyes caked with conjuntivitas, I asked the childminder if she had been treated and she said parents were treating her (oviously NOT) I saw her a bit later take a baby wipe out of her bag and wipe one eye then the other with exactually the same wipe, poor kid that must have really hurt:(