PDA

View Full Version : Bit of advice for my hairdresser - childminding/students

Doofuz
01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Bear with me on this one...:(

I have just come back from the hairdressers and we got talking about my registration. She asked me (a bit reluctantly - didn't want to break confidentiality) if it was allowed for a childminder to have students in the house at all? I said I thought they would need to be CRB'd, and she said that this is where the query widened as her childminder has told her that the school had begged her to take this particular student in at short notice. Only when asked because he came into the kitchen whilst she was picking up. Childminder went red and hesitated...My hairdresser assumed that this would mean he doesn't have a CRB, nor is she declaring she has students.

My hairdresser has asked me to check for her as it would be the crux of a few points she isn't happy with. She knew I wouldn't break confidentiality. She will be pulling her own daughter out soon. :rolleyes:

If anyone could give me advice, my hairdresser and I would be grateful :) and thanks for reading.

berkschick
01-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I think if the student is over 16 and staying at the house then they would need to be CRB checked.

babs
01-02-2011, 09:31 PM
not sure about school students , i have one in from the collage 3 yr student she has her crb( i checked it ) but cant be left alone with children can do everything else ie change nappies, feed , obs ,play etc.. hth

Pixie dust
01-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Childminders often have students from college or for work experience from school. It is fine as long as childminder has correct insurance and children are not left alone with student. The college here has crbs in place for all students but you said school so not sure on why the student is there.

sarah707
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
If you have a student they cannot be left alone with children until they have a CRB check in place.

You also need a policy and a procedure for managing them around children if for example you need the loo... parents written permission that they know a student is there and that they are happy about it... and I would imagine you need to inform your insurance company.

you would then write a RA covering the student's time with you and take them through basic induction training - what to say to parents who run down the drive pushing calpol into your hand; how to answer the door; what to do if a child is lost or missing; safeguarding and what to do about abuse claims; how to protect the child and themselves from abuse claims etc.

The student should write to the parents introducing themselves saying why they are there and asking for permission to use photos (back views) in their work and observations for their studies. They should also say what they intend to do with the children activity wise and share information with parents so it's a 2 way flow.

The student should have a mentor from college who visits regularly and who should make themselves available to talk to any parents who are worried about what is happening.

This is basic stuff to safeguard children.

Hth :D

Pauline
01-02-2011, 09:40 PM
I think she ought to have told the parents that she was having a student to work with her and got their views and possibly even permission.

What about Ofsted, shouldn't they be notified as there is someone new on the premises?

Even if you don't have to do any of the above I think it common courtesy to tell the parents!

Doofuz
01-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Ooh, sorry! I forgot to mention, they are foreign students. Thank you for your replies, sorry I didn't make it clearer. Does what you have all said still apply?

Minstrel
01-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Just to clarify (only because we use a different meaning for 'students' around here...)

Do you mean a student who is working with her as part of work experience?

OR

Is the student staying with her as part of a boarding/exchange scheme?

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things but my mind went one way and everyone elses went another!
Typical :rolleyes:

Minstrel
01-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Ooh, sorry! I forgot to mention, they are foreign students. Thank you for your replies, sorry I didn't make it clearer. Does what you have all said still apply?

Oh so i was right!

Yes all still applys!

Pauline
01-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Good thought Minstrel :thumbsup: I also assumed Doofuz meant a childcare/working student.

Ofsted rules state that you must notify them of any significant change to persons on the premises, so she should be telling them when students are staying.

Doofuz
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Thank you Minstrel, and everyone else. My hairdresser was really worried about this, she made me take her facebook name so I can let her know :( On the other hand, she made some comments about how I would be up and running in due course and what my hours and rates will be ;)

Thanks again :)

Doofuz
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Good thought Minstrel :thumbsup: I also assumed Doofuz meant a childcare/working student.

Ofsted rules state that you must notify them of any significant change to persons on the premises, so she should be telling them when students are staying.

Thank you :)