PDA

View Full Version : ELC and apps for children on iphone

Pixie dust
01-02-2011, 05:24 PM
I have just been looking at my new ELC catalogue that came today and am quite shocked to see an ad for ELC apps for the iphone. These are aimed for children Manic martians and flashcards. This can't be good or is it just me!

Blaze
01-02-2011, 05:30 PM
My just turned 8year old & 6 year old nephews have the new ipod touch - 1each- fully contected up to the net etc :eek: ...Their parents have more money than sense IMHO

Doofuz
01-02-2011, 05:41 PM
My nursery has two ipads for the children to use and the two year olds in my class are capable of using a member of staff's iphone to get the 'Where's Wally' application up. We have a digital camera for the children to use and computer time daily (15 mins) When we do phonics or a story cd and they don't want to listen anymore, one of them will get up and turn it off themselves, take cd out and put it back into it's case. Sign of the times, I suppose we have to embrace it :rolleyes:

Mcgons
01-02-2011, 06:48 PM
My just turned 8year old & 6 year old nephews have the new ipod touch - 1each- fully contected up to the net etc :eek: ...Their parents have more money than sense IMHO

My 6 year old has a new ipod touch, but not connected to the net, and will not be for a long while yet. He uses it mostly for music, and needed an upgrade from the ELC sing a long cd player he has had since he was 2 1/2. I don't think we have more money than sense though, he doesn't have another portable game player so we got the ipod touch so he can use apps and have music.

As for the ELC apps it doesn't surprise me, technology is moving on so much, kids have to learn to be able to use it (though for limited amounts of time in my opinion), and it's not much different than using games on cbeebies website, just on a portable device! :)

aly
01-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Poppy, 3, knows how to work my iphone..sometimes better than me ...:rolleyes:

Blaze
01-02-2011, 06:56 PM
IMHO spending nearly £600 on 2 peices of equipment / toys that shouldn't be fully operational (INTERNET ETC) is a bit OTT - But perhaps I'm just poor!

Kimmy050983
01-02-2011, 07:07 PM
My nursery has two ipads for the children to use and the two year olds in my class are capable of using a member of staff's iphone to get the 'Where's Wally' application up. We have a digital camera for the children to use and computer time daily (15 mins) When we do phonics or a story cd and they don't want to listen anymore, one of them will get up and turn it off themselves, take cd out and put it back into it's case. Sign of the times, I suppose we have to embrace it :rolleyes:

soo thankful that i don´t have to send my LO to a nursery... he does not watch any TV at all!

Pixie dust
01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
soo thankful that i don´t have to send my LO to a nursery... he does not watch any TV at all!

I agree with you..children are losing the ability to play and use their imagination. I know it's all paart of the modern worls but surely they don't need to be exposed to technology this at an early age.

Mcgons
01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
IMHO spending nearly £600 on 2 peices of equipment / toys that shouldn't be fully operational (INTERNET ETC) is a bit OTT - But perhaps I'm just poor!

When you put it like that it does sound a bit much, and I agree that the internet is OTT for their ages. We didn't pay £300 though for our ipod touch, more like half that. Don't think we would have bought it for 2 kids at the same time though.

Kimmy050983
01-02-2011, 07:25 PM
I agree with you..children are losing the ability to play and use their imagination. I know it's all paart of the modern worls but surely they don't need to be exposed to technology this at an early age.
absolutely. there is simply no need for 2 year olds to learn such things! There has been lots of studies that children who learn computer use in the teens (as old as 15-18) have the same knowledge after a couple of months as children who have learnt it as toddlers.
Jamie can play very well, he does not miss anything. needless to say that i don´t allow ANY character toys/clothes in this house... (mindee can wear what he wants of course).. i simply don´t thing that children need to be walking advertisements for companies that just want more and more money.

RachelE
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Its sad isnt it?

We were at a family party on Sunday my 2 children - 9 and 4yrs were the only ones without an iphone/ipad/ds - but they were running up and down - 9yr old ds skidding up and down the dance floor on his knees! :) - this is what children should be doing IMO.
The other children - 2 ,7yr olds and 6 yr olds were all sat staring at screens - not talking to anyone.

Money or not, we dont have to give in to the technology.

I am getting my son a ds for his 10th birthday this year and do not feel bad that he is the last in his class to get one!

Rcahel x