PDA

View Full Version : Daily Diaries

Francesca
01-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I've recently had a re think about the the daily diaries I do with the parents, partly because I don't really get a great deal of feedback from them and partly because I want to offer a better service.

So, one of my parents are on face book quite a lot, and their parents live away, they had said before that their own parents enjoyed reading the diary and seeing the pictures, so hubby created a closed group, gave the parents admin rights so they could invite who they wished and I have started writing there. Apart from the ease I find with it, the parents are commenting as well.

I do have written permission from the parents that this is what they are happy with, it saves me the cost of printing out pictures each week though I am going to make a small scrap book for when they leave...

Was just hoping for feed back and whether anyone else does this, what pit falls anyone may think of, and whether the inspector will mark me down for this

Many thanks for ready

Francesca

Pipsqueak
01-02-2011, 04:22 PM
I think that is quite a good idea but I would ensure the security is tight as a ducks.....
Is it just one set of parents for one child who access the group?
Are you registered with the ICO.

Make sure you review the settings, accounts etc regulary - perhaps write a brief policy about it and review permissions reguarly too.

rickysmiths
01-02-2011, 04:32 PM
I've recently had a re think about the the daily diaries I do with the parents, partly because I don't really get a great deal of feedback from them and partly because I want to offer a better service.

So, one of my parents are on face book quite a lot, and their parents live away, they had said before that their own parents enjoyed reading the diary and seeing the pictures, so hubby created a closed group, gave the parents admin rights so they could invite who they wished and I have started writing there. Apart from the ease I find with it, the parents are commenting as well.

I do have written permission from the parents that this is what they are happy with, it saves me the cost of printing out pictures each week though I am going to make a small scrap book for when they leave...

Was just hoping for feed back and whether anyone else does this, what pit falls anyone may think of, and whether the inspector will mark me down for this

Many thanks for ready

Francesca

You are doing their Eyfs Learning Journeys? Cause these go with the children when they leave and may save doing scrapbooks as well.

Francesca
01-02-2011, 04:32 PM
yes each group is for each parent only, no one else has access unless the parents allow it.

I have a policy that the parents are asked to sign to say they have read it and this is what they what they want... ICO? I know the "data" I put there is as safe as possible with it being a closed group, and being a daily diary only, all other paperwork is kept offline in paper format and locked away, the policy is together with the signed yes/ no agreement so hopefully have that all overed in the same sheet.

I also only do so for the pre schooler's, the others its a verbal hand over.

Thank you so much for the feedback :0

Francesca

Pipsqueak
01-02-2011, 05:40 PM
http://www.ico.gov.uk/

we are supposed to register with them if we are keeping images or data online about our clients.
you pay for the privilage of them say we can! :rolleyes:

Francesca
01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
re the EYFS my understanding is that's an Ofsted requirement and I am under the Care Commission, though I do show monthly planning and keep that separate as its given to the parent's and then a copy put up for parents and children to see.

Re the personal info on the FB group - its a closed group and only accessible by the parents... but will look further into that too.

Francesca

Gizmo
01-02-2011, 05:54 PM
You are doing their Eyfs Learning Journeys? Cause these go with the children when they leave and may save doing scrapbooks as well.

OP is in Scotland so doesnt need to do EYFS ;)
One of my friends e-mails diaries to parents and CC loved it francesca :thumbsup:

Francesca
01-02-2011, 08:42 PM
I gave one of the other parents the option also not expecting them to want it, and the father loves the idea.

In both cases they each have there own closed group, no one can access it or even see it in search.

In the last two days I have had more feed back from the parents than in the two years I have looked after the little one so feeling good about this move.

Thank you so much for the feed back though, its been appreciated and the ico I am looking at too.

Francesca