PDA

View Full Version : Epi-pen training

JCrakers
01-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi,

I have a child who has an epi-pen as he's allergic to beans/peas and lentils as well as some nuts. He doesnt really eat a full dinner at mine and both his mum and I know we will probably never have to use it.

I know how to use it from the instructions that mum gave and the info it comes with and I got a little info in my first aid training but this was basic stuff. I would really like to go and try first hand on how to use it properly?
Who would I ask about getting a demo? My doctor or local hospital? I would really need some written evidence that i have undertaken it..Would i really be able to get an app. at the hospital to get someone to show me how its used?
Thanks

Becky x

Hebs
01-02-2011, 02:19 PM
this is now done with first aid, try the childs doctor :thumbsup:

Fraggle1
01-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Hiya!

when I had to get an Epi-pen for my son the dr arranged for a nurse to go out to the nursery to train them, they then got a certificate. I'm sure a nurse could come out to you aswell :)

Doofuz
01-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I have Epi -Pen training, I arranged it via my local hospital. I think you can also try the child's doctor. It wasn't covered on my last first aid, they just told us how to sort it if we need it.

sarah707
01-02-2011, 06:03 PM
It is my understanding that you are not insured to care for the child until you have received training.

You need to contact your insurance company and check with them about whether you can care for the child before you get training.

Also the Eyfs says -

If the administration of prescription medicines requires technical/medical knowledge then individual training should be provided for staff from a qualified health professional.

hth :D

Alibali
01-02-2011, 06:11 PM
We have just arranged for the practice nurse to come to our childminding group to do epi-pen training, just phoned and she was happy to come out:D

Deb
01-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Also, check it's in date - the damned things have a habit of going out of date.

tulip0803
01-02-2011, 08:32 PM
When I had a child a couple of years ago I went to the doctor's surgery. We both had the same surgery & they happily trained me and signed the medicine administration form to say that I had been trained.:thumbsup:

Noodles
01-02-2011, 08:36 PM
this is now done with first aid, try the childs doctor :thumbsup:

I am on my first aid course at the moment. We talked about the epi pen and tried a trainer pen but were told that this does not allow us to use one and we still need proper training if we have a child in the setting who may need one

glitzygal
01-02-2011, 08:47 PM
It is my understanding that you are not insured to care for the child until you have received training.

You need to contact your insurance company and check with them about whether you can care for the child before you get training.

Also the Eyfs says -

If the administration of prescription medicines requires technical/medical knowledge then individual training should be provided for staff from a qualified health professional.

hth :D

I have a girl who is allergic to nuts and i was informed untill i had done he training and got a certificate i was not to have her, as not insured incase anything happened and i used the epi-pen, i could be sued, so for 1 week while i had to wait for training which i did with the girls pre-school and got a certificate froma nurse, so then i had her back.

and they advise a care plan to.

Deb
01-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Also, dont be scared to use it if you have to. I have had to use one 3 times now, on my own child. And the first time is scary but I wish someone had shown me how to use it! It's not complex at all but you do need to know what to do as when you do need it you dont have time to deliberate and fret.

catlyn
02-02-2011, 12:40 AM
try your health visitors or school nurses some are trained in the use of the pens and may be able to help show you how to use it. I used to go into schools and teach the teachers how to use them when i worked with the school nursing team.

JCrakers
02-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone..ive just rang the doctors and ive got an app tomorrow with a nurse. They didnt really know and said they hadnt offered it before but its a good idea.

I'll get something signed by her. I didnt realise about the insurance not being valid. Im with Morton Michel.

Thanks again :thumbsup:
Becky x

tracey36
02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
i had a child who had one he was allergic to nuts the mom aranged for the nurse dealing with him to come and show me what to do as i wouldnt have felt comfortable otherwise plus not sure you would be insured withough proper training first

Hebs
02-02-2011, 10:25 AM
I am on my first aid course at the moment. We talked about the epi pen and tried a trainer pen but were told that this does not allow us to use one and we still need proper training if we have a child in the setting who may need one

Well thats not what we were told! And that was just last week!

JCrakers
02-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Would I have to get some sort of certificate then..as the doctors surgery really didnt know.
I asked if the nurse would be able to sign something and she said to ask her tomorrow.

Should I make a form myself and get her to sign it or do I need the real deal?

Becky x