PDA

View Full Version : exclusion for d&v and conunctivitius - discrimination?

butterfly
01-02-2011, 10:13 AM
What would you do about exclusion times for d and v and conjunctivitus?

We've had serious cases recently which have spread like wildfire - i keep being ill and it is really getting wearing!

I want to say that a child who have d+v cannot return for 48 since the last episode. can i mention anything about a close relative having it? ie both parents had it yesterday and sent child when the likelihood is that the child was carrying the bug!!

also for conjunctivitius i want to say 48 hours after rceiving first antibiotics AND there must be no visible redness of weeping of the eyes.

do you think this is acceptable or could I be uner flack for discriminating?

Pipsqueak
01-02-2011, 10:17 AM
No its not discrimination at all and you are within your rights - you are protecting others in your setting and preventing the spread of illness.

Eldest has just had conjunctivitis and (secondary) school told me he can't come back till eyes were clear - although the doctor said 24hrs after treatment has started
As to D&V - no i don't think you can exclude based on someone else who has contact with the child being ill. That would be impractical - We live everyday - side by side with germs and bugs, the best we can do is boost our immune systems, ensure good hygiene and possibly disinfect people coming to our doors! lol

youarewhatyoueat
01-02-2011, 11:25 AM
If the child is not ill on what grounds are you saying they can't come? if you are turning them away then you can't charge.
I would send a letter home about how you are trying to stop the spread of germs with handwashing etc and ask the parents to reinforce it at home.
Bugs go around thats life, but you can do what you like its your business but you have to be able to justify it.
Also conjuntivitus is after ointment has been applied for 24 hours, but if you have something different in your policies then thats up to you to update parents with your policies.
Have a look on the nhs website for current exclusions, and of course they are only recomendations, you can introduce anything but just remember it can backfire if one child is ill in your setting or home parents can say they don't want to send and due to your policies they don't want to pay so be careful how you word it.

candy cat
01-02-2011, 11:37 AM
48 hrs for Dand v and none for conjuntivitus if being treated......the rest is if not well to join in activities then shouldn't be here.

Pipsqueak
01-02-2011, 12:54 PM
If the child is not ill on what grounds are you saying they can't come? if you are turning them away then you can't charge.

I know it splitting hairs but if a parent brings a clearly ill child you can and should refuse to care for them. And then yes I would still charge. I charge when the child is off - even if they are ill
Also conjuntivitus is after ointment has been applied for 24 hours, but if you have something different in your policies then thats up to you to update parents with your policies.
Re Conjunctivitis - I think you will find there are differing schools of opinion about the 'safe to return'.

I would agree with being careful how you word. Your policies at the end of the day should reflect the wellbeing for all persons - including your own family and you.

Simple as - if your child is absent for any reason (holiday, sickness) or if I send your child home ill - FULL FEES are due

rickysmiths
01-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I would send a letter home about how you are trying to stop the spread of germs with handwashing etc and ask the parents to reinforce it at home.
Bugs go around thats life, but you can do what you like its your business but you have to be able to justify it.
Have a look on the nhs website for current exclusions, and of course they are only recomendations, you can introduce anything but just remember it can backfire if one child is ill in your setting or home parents can say they don't want to send and due to your policies they don't want to pay so be careful how you word it.

I don't think you can say this. Many doctors do not prescribe any drops or creams for at least 3 days now. It has been shown that this condition mostly clears up on its own within 3 days.

I only exclude if the child is clearly so unwell they can't take part in the normal daily routine. If they can I tke them, I have never in all my years of minding had conjuntivitus spread. You just have to up your routines and be more selective about the toys that are played with for a few days.

jumpinjen
01-02-2011, 02:41 PM
What would you do about exclusion times for d and v and conjunctivitus?

We've had serious cases recently which have spread like wildfire - i keep being ill and it is really getting wearing!

I want to say that a child who have d+v cannot return for 48 since the last episode. can i mention anything about a close relative having it? ie both parents had it yesterday and sent child when the likelihood is that the child was carrying the bug!!

also for conjunctivitius i want to say 48 hours after rceiving first antibiotics AND there must be no visible redness of weeping of the eyes.

do you think this is acceptable or could I be uner flack for discriminating?

You could explain to parents that recurring and contagious infections have been causing problems for all families at your setting and for a time period of say 4-6 weeks you will be ammending your policy to state that child cannot attend if X, Y or Z. I don't allow child for 48 hours after last episode of vomiting or loose stools anyway....... a temporary policy allows time for everyone to get rid of from system and families, without being discriminatory..... it is for specific reasons and those are to ensure the health and hygiene in your setting for all families..... the parents sending when they have is a tricky one, as they could just not say and send anyway?

jen x

JCrakers
01-02-2011, 02:43 PM
My policy is D&V = 48hrs from last bout and no exclusion needed for conjunctivitis. I got these from Ofsted...unless its changed??

Becky x