PDA

View Full Version : Child for 6hrs

Mrs Book
01-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I mindee 1 day a week for 6hrs. I go fetch her after I've done playgroup run in the morning.

I just don't feel like we have time to do anything as we have to fit another playgroup run in at lunch time.

At the moment timetable for the day is

9.30 Pick up
9.45-11.45 Toddlers
12.00 Playgroup Run
12.45 Back & Lunch
1.15 Tidy up from lunch & playtime
2.45 School Run
3.30 Drop off.

It just feel like a rush. I'm worrying about LJ for mindee who is 2 1/2. Just feel as day is such a rush that I don't seem to beable to fit in LJ stuff.

Go on everyone tell me I'm being silly :laughing:

mama2three
01-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Im sure if you have your phone / camera out you will find something to snap and write up once or twice a month. Lo will be playing and interacting during the couple of hours at toddlers - and Im sure you do nice things in the couple of hours at home in the afternoon. Obs for LJs dont have to be long and complicated - just a photo and a brief description , where it fits in to eyfs and how you might follow it up. It could be something in your routine too , lunch perhaps or a conversation you had on the schoolrun , even counting shoes as you get dressed to go out x

Daftbat
01-02-2011, 08:20 AM
My days are very much like your timetable. Its amazing what benefits children can get from playgroups and whilst I know its only 90 mins in the afternoon for playtime between other things that is plenty of time to do an activity or even just get involved in playing with the child generally. tr not to worry about it - use your camera on your phone if you have one and so long as you are able to show that you are providing opportunities for the child to learn and develop and that they are, most importantly, happy then you are doing your job.

button68
01-02-2011, 08:22 AM
I was wondering just the same. I have a little one who has just started age 2 and a half he only comes on a Friday 9-1. Worried about what obs I'll get done. Having said that I'm probably in a better position that OP as we don't have any running about to do in that time.

My DO actually said that she wouldn't recommend I take on a child for such a small amount of time. Took him anyway :p

manjay
01-02-2011, 08:27 AM
I do short term placements for families in crisis. Most of these I usually pick up after morning school run and drop off before afternoon school run. Only ever one day a week. As the others have said there is always something to observe and record. Ok you may not get as much as a child who is with you full time but your LJ will often reflect the amount of time lo is with you x

Mollymop
01-02-2011, 08:29 AM
As the others have said, you will be able to see how much little one is gorwing and developing just by being with them and watching them play, eat lunch, talk on the school runs, tidy up, washing hands, etc etc.
You won't have a vast amount of bits in her LJ if she is only with you a few hours a week - - maybe in the hour between tidy up time and the school run you could fit in an activity/craft that you could stick in her LJ to fill it up a bit if you are concerned about it being empty xx

xdirtydancerx
01-02-2011, 09:28 AM
I have a lo for just an hour every morning. Was worried that I wasn't doing enough with him but when mrs o came to visit he managed to fit all 6 areas of the eyfs into one play session without my help :laughing: so it shows it can be done. Just keep those eyes peeled ;)