PDA

View Full Version : horrible afternoon

Helen Dempster
01-02-2011, 07:53 AM
I'm sorry to have a whinge this early in the morning, but I had the WORST afternoon yesterday :( All of the little after schoolies were so hyper and HORRIBLE, their behaviour was diabolical and at one point almost reduced me to tears! They just weren't doing anything I asked, screaming, fighting, being rude...you name it. I'm dreading after school today. It's such a shame, cos I have lovely days with 18m baby mindee and then the after schoolies spoil it and get me so stressed out it makes me so sad and makes me wish they weren't around.

jelly15
01-02-2011, 07:57 AM
I can sympathise, I too had a bad afterenoon yesterday. Mindee 3 was terribly badly behaved when another parent collected and I had too mention it to his mother, she really didn't want to know and said he only behaved like that here :eek:

Pipsqueak
01-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Deep breaths and calm.

After schoolers need some space and time to 'blow out' after school - they have just spent 6hrs being confined. However that does not mean or excuse horrid behaviour.

New head on today.

When they come out of school and they gather round you - tell them that they stay close to you and walk nicely home. That you have to talk to them.

Coats/shoes/bags in corner - settle them on sofa and explain - these are the rules, these are the expectations, these are the consequences.
your home your rules.

Outdoor/indoor voices..... etc

and enforce - its not going to happen overnight but they soon figure it out.

Tink
01-02-2011, 08:00 AM
When they come in after school, sit them all down and talk to them about how you want them to behave, explain to them about your house rules, that we don't shout, we share the toys, we play apropriately, we are not to be rude, we must listen to each other and we most certainly do not fight.
Say these are the things I want you to do whilst in my house, and that they are old enough to set an example for the younger children.

Hope that helps and hope you have a better afternoon :)

Mollymop
01-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Bless ya, hugs sent. I hope you have a better afternoon today and they stop this kind of behaviour. I would be very ashamed if my child behaved like this for you so make sure you tell their parents x

xdirtydancerx
01-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I completely agree with the posts above. They should in no way make you feel uncomfortable in your own home. Hope things go better for you this afternoon x

nannysue
01-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Oh poor you !! hope today will be better . Maybe it was just a Monday thing and they will be calmer and better behaved today . Could you have an activity ( or something similar) ready to take their attention when they come in??

Have a lovely day with your little one/s , big hug for you xxxx

ORKSIE
01-02-2011, 11:03 AM
My after schoolies write their own rules. They are then displayed in the kitchen.
I point them in the right direction and ask them how they think they should behave in my home.
They all agree about no fighting or arguing.

If they misbehave I can show them the rules they made, this makes them think:thumbsup:

I also have "inside" and "Outside" voices.....If a child becomes too loud and wont listen, I ask them "Would you like to go outside and make that noise" usually the response is "No"....esp in this cold weather:laughing:
:laughing:

I am looking forward to the lighter, warmer afternoons, so i can chuck em all outside again :thumbsup:

Hope you have a better day today....Mahoooosive hugs coming your way. xxx

The Juggler
01-02-2011, 02:33 PM
i used to have lots of days like this but have far fewer big ones after school now but I sympathise. agree with Pip. Team talk and write some rules down together and put them up on the wall. If they want to run round madly shouting, out in the garden they go:thumbsup:

any rough stuff and rudeness they sit with me wherever I am or quietly drawing etc until they can control themselves or apologise to me for being rude.

Pipsqueak
01-02-2011, 02:42 PM
ok - its comeing up to school time - STAND FIRM
DEEP BREATHE

YOU ARE IN CHARGE......

reign 'em in for a few days and gradually start giving them their freedom back - make them earn it.

ORKSIE
01-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I would lock em all in the shed till home time:D :joker:

Dragonfly
01-02-2011, 07:43 PM
No the garage Orksie its further away:laughing:

xdirtydancerx
01-02-2011, 10:57 PM
How did it go Helen?

Pipsqueak
01-02-2011, 11:00 PM
No the garage Orksie its further away:laughing:
Neighbours shed would be good!;)

jayr
01-02-2011, 11:19 PM
I can sympathise, I too had a bad afterenoon yesterday. Mindee 3 was terribly badly behaved when another parent collected and I had too mention it to his mother, she really didn't want to know and said he only behaved like that here :eek:

Hi to you,
Just give them time to run around after school ,call at the park on your way home to blow off steam, if they can play football or something similar . They have been controlled all day , yes the must behave well for you and you must be in control .It's your house your rules and you must make it clear to them.

I wish you good luck and I am sure you will come up with some strategy of your own to make it work better for you and the children.

Good Luck:)
Jayr

Vickster
02-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Mondays are always our most hyper! Luckily we all have to go out at 4.30pm