PDA

View Full Version : term time only

Ava's Nana
01-02-2011, 07:48 AM
i'm currently minding 3 boys, before and after school and 8-6 during school holidays. mum told me yesterday thay she has applied for a new job as a teachers assistant which is term time only. just wondered how you would charge for this. im going to be losing a lot of money anyway so cant really afford to not get any wages during school holidays...help!! :panic:

guest4
01-02-2011, 07:52 AM
I would firstly advertise the place for the holidays, give yourself a time scale to fill it, if not charge her half fees???

I do quite a lot of term time only contracts and love them as it means I get the holidays off with my own children. But it does mean that I am turning down the opportunity to earn alot more during these times.

Only you know how important the income is to you, have a chat with Mum?Dad, see what they say.

Tracey x

Mollymop
01-02-2011, 08:38 AM
I do term time only with some children and only charge for that because that is fine by me.
But I can understand you will be losing out and if I am right I think that teaching assistants get paid per month even in the school hols as their payments are spread out like teachers, so in your case you could think about asking for half fees to keep the space open

Newbie1!
01-02-2011, 08:49 AM
I have a term time only too, wasnt very keen but didnt want to lose the business. Mum did also say there may be odd days in the hols she would need me but not to the extent that she would commit to these days. Explained to mum that chances are, because of the days and times I have X I prob wouldnt be able to fill the space and so she would need to pay to keep the space.

She therefore pays 40 weeks at normal fee, 10 weeks at half fee and 2 weeks at no fee (allowing for my holidays) I basically add all these together and divide them by 12 so Ive always got a steady monthly income. xx

AnnieM
01-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I charge half fees for the holidays with my term time only mindees. :thumbsup:

grindal
01-02-2011, 10:46 AM
I wanted to encourage term time only mindees when i started minding (I am an ex teacher myself and DH is a teacher - so only really wanted to work term time), so do not charge for holidays. I have however, worked out an hourly rate which includes half fees for 13 weeks holidays per year.

As a result my hourly rate is higher than others near me, but parents do not pay for their holidays.

youarewhatyoueat
01-02-2011, 11:14 AM
In my eyes you have 2 contracts a term time and a holiday as the times are very different, that may not be so on paper but you wouldn't be able to charge a retainer of 8-6 during the hols only the before and after school times, perhaps consider uppng your rates for term time only contracts, it often works out better for you and the parents don't feel they are paying for something they aren't using, also freeing up a holiday space.
Be prepared to lose them if you try to charge as she may be able to juggle her hours to pick up herself.
I would advertise a holiday spot for children and sell yourself, cm's just have to accept that children grow up and needs of the parents change and that's our selling point.
Good luck

Bridey
01-02-2011, 11:50 AM
All my after-schoolers are term time only. In the school holidays I charge a minimal rate of £5 per child per day to reserve the termtime place. This is much less than half fee so the parents accept it easily but still brings in a income in the holidays (with no expenses). It also means they are less likely to ask me to work in the holidays as the difference between £5 and a full day's fee is rather large.

As most of my parents claim tax credit I work out the yearly charge for the school year and divide it into equal monthly payment that they pay via standing order.