PDA

View Full Version : Re-arranging my playroom - have I done the right thing?

Cazz
31-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I have a reasonable size conservatory that I use for a playroom and until now there's been a stack of boxes with various toys in along one wall. The children have been able to play with whatever they want, although they usually needed me to get a box for them because they were stacked.

Anyway, today we have cleared all the junk out of our garage which is joined to the house and accessed internally via the utility room. We've put some really sturdy storage units in there and I've moved all the boxes of toys into the garage on the shelving.

I've taken photo's of everything and tomorrow I will print them and put the photo's in an album (and also one on the boxes), so that children who are old enough can look at the photo's and tell me if they would like something out.
Obviously, I will bring some things out each day to vary them and I will make choices for the younger children.

Do Ofsted like this idea or would they prefer them to be stacked in a playroom? There is still a bookcase with loads of books and playhouses, "laptops", buggies, shape sorters etc in the playroom so it's not completely empty!

The reason I've done it is so there is more space for the children to play (am possibly about to get much busier!) and also I want to purchase a two seater sofa when I can afford it so the children have somewhere comfortable to sit and read or just chill out, and when I'm not childminding we can make use of the room as a conservatory in the summer months.

Also, I end up with loads of toys all over the floor because some children just open boxes and toss them around! This way they will be encouraged to clear up something (picture on box should assist!) before they get something else out. Also, I'm trying to make things different for them by not having all the toys available every day if that makes sense!

Is it okay to do this with toys or should you have them in a playroom at all times if you have the space? Will I be frowned upon because I will have to go into the garage to fetch a box if a child requests it?

Pipsqueak
31-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Ofsted will adore, love and worship you for this.

now come and do mine - been meaning to for a 100yrs and never got round to it:D

xdirtydancerx
31-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Pre-Reg Mrs O told me not to rotate toys as children need to make a 'choice' about what they play with each day :rolleyes:

6-months into reg Mrs O liked that I use my space wisely and rotate toys to suit the age and stage of the children.

Therefore I would say that you can never really win lol

I love the photo idea though - I might have to steal that one :thumbsup:

Mookins
31-01-2011, 10:56 PM
i have mine stacked ese where due tolack of space and toldinspector i wanted to a book and she saidthats brilliant

well done you fir getting straight on it xx

Cazz
31-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Pre-Reg Mrs O told me not to rotate toys as children need to make a 'choice' about what they play with each day :rolleyes:

6-months into reg Mrs O liked that I use my space wisely and rotate toys to suit the age and stage of the children.

Therefore I would say that you can never really win lol

I love the photo idea though - I might have to steal that one :thumbsup:

You steal away - I think I probably got the idea off here in the first place, just not got round to it until now!

That was what I was concerned about - that they may feel I'm not giving them enough choices but hopefully the photo album will overcome that.

I'm hopefully signing a new family on Wednesday and they are all young children so this way I can make sure there are no boxes brought out with very small pieces. If an older child wants small lego etc they will have to play with it at the dining table!

Next I need to update my SEF - never ending isn't it!!

Cazz
31-01-2011, 11:12 PM
i have mine stacked ese where due tolack of space and toldinspector i wanted to a book and she saidthats brilliant

well done you fir getting straight on it xx

Thanks Jen - but you should see my playroom at the moment :panic: I've got a parent visiting on Wednesday morning so I have to get it finished tomorrow!!

Ripeberry
31-01-2011, 11:27 PM
That's interesting about NOT rotating toys. Children take time to find out where the toys are and some can get distressed if they can't find their favourites!
Our pre-school drives me potty sometimes and I just clean it!
They keep moving all the furniture around each week it seems and it makes it difficult to do my cleaning.
Must be frustrating for the kids as their favourite areas are 'destroyed'

xdirtydancerx
31-01-2011, 11:31 PM
You steal away - I think I probably got the idea off here in the first place, just not got round to it until now!

That was what I was concerned about - that they may feel I'm not giving them enough choices but hopefully the photo album will overcome that.

I'm hopefully signing a new family on Wednesday and they are all young children so this way I can make sure there are no boxes brought out with very small pieces. If an older child wants small lego etc they will have to play with it at the dining table!

Next I need to update my SEF - never ending isn't it!!

This year I am going to update my sef monthly . . . until the month where I forget about it then I'll probably give up with that idea! Lol

Cazz
31-01-2011, 11:37 PM
This year I am going to update my sef monthly . . . until the month where I forget about it then I'll probably give up with that idea! Lol

Blimey - you're good!

I did my SEF last February before my inspection and haven't been on there since :blush:

I am going to very soon though because I know there's loads to show that I've reviewed and made improvements - hopefully that should earn me some brownie points :laughing:

singingcactus
01-02-2011, 10:06 AM

See, now I was talking about this to my DH this week. Mine is up to date, and I may be due an inspection at any time (who knows anymore). I was thinking though, if my SEF is all updated with any changes and adjustments I have made, how will ofsted know that I am constantly improving? If my home looks exactly like it is described in the sef, and all my procedures are exactly as they are listed how can she see that I have been evaluating my service and working to improve it.

clio0602
01-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I had enough last week with the toys being everywhere so have packed them all up with 8 draws of toys and my play kithen. I have photos in progress to make a basket for the kids to choose what they want.

Ofsted may want everything accessible for the lo's but its my home and am sick of the toys everywhere and if there is too much out they flit from one thing to another just making a mess :rolleyes:

Suppose I'll have to explain myself at inspection and see what the outcome is lol

xdirtydancerx
01-02-2011, 10:41 AM
See, now I was talking about this to my DH this week. Mine is up to date, and I may be due an inspection at any time (who knows anymore). I was thinking though, if my SEF is all updated with any changes and adjustments I have made, how will ofsted know that I am constantly improving? If my home looks exactly like it is described in the sef, and all my procedures are exactly as they are listed how can she see that I have been evaluating my service and working to improve it.

Oh no I never thought of that! :eek:

mrs robbie williams
01-02-2011, 11:05 AM
I had my ofsted inspection last week and mrs o suggested i do a book with photo's in so that the children can choose what toys they would like out that week and she also said to show it to prospective parents. Lot of work to do and havent reallly got the time :panic: :panic: but i will get round to it :D

Mollymop
01-02-2011, 11:06 AM
I do this too Cazz, I call it Our Choice Book! I was told it was a good idea from an ex local childminder who did it and ofsted loved it.
So I made mine up ready, inspection came and the inspector looked at it and never really passed much comment about it. I was very disappointed. Until I found out the same inspector had moaned at another minder for not having many toys out so the children couldn't make choices about what to play with. SO I guess she liked it!

I am hoping my next inspector will make a song and dance about it, as it took a lot of time to do!

xx

kel1983
01-02-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm not lucky enough to have playroom. I live and childmind at my parents house so am very limited. I store the toys in our spre box room and have to bring down the toys every day which is a little annoying. Becuase I dont want the child to get bored of the same old toys I find I bring down too many toys. My dad has offered to help me build some shelves in our shed so that I can store toys in there which will be very helpful.

I am in the proces of designing a catalogue of all my toys so I can ask the children what they would like to play with that week. This will also be nice to show new parents what the children have access to.

Cazz
01-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Well I've finished (apart from putting the pictures and labels on the boxes!) and I have to say the playroom looks lovely and much bigger!

My after school mindee played in there longer today as there is so much space and my 3 year old daughter came home from her nanny and grandad's and loves the photo's of the toys - she's already chosen what she wants to play with after breakfast tomorrow :laughing:

julie w
01-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I had enough last week with the toys being everywhere so have packed them all up with 8 draws of toys and my play kithen. I have photos in progress to make a basket for the kids to choose what they want.

Ofsted may want everything accessible for the lo's but its my home and am sick of the toys everywhere and if there is too much out they flit from one thing to another just making a mess :rolleyes:

Suppose I'll have to explain myself at inspection and see what the outcome is lol

Ha Ha I misread and thought you'd packed up your 'play kitten'. sounded quite sweet