PDA

View Full Version : has anyone had variation for 3 under 5???

marnieb
31-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Had one mum and her 5 month old over to see me today - very keen and wants to start asap settling in with a view to start 3 days a week in March.

But - there's a possibilty that 1 of my existing mums may want to change a day, which could potentially mean on a Wednesday I'd have E (16 months), T (16 months) and new baby J (6 months), plus my own dd (who'll be 2 then). If I ask for a variation for this day, do you think Ofsted would grant it?? I have no other mindees at all at the moment, so no after schoolies or anything like that.

jumpinjen
31-01-2011, 05:48 PM
All you can do is ask.... give lots of details about how you will meet the needs of all the children during this time, for example.... have you got enough space for them all to sleep if they need/want to at the same time.... how will you get them out and about on that day.... triple buggy with buggy board? triple with a sling for baby? Have you got safe seating for eating meals together.... toddler chairs and a table..... three highchairs? how would you plan suitable activities for them all on that day? The more information that you can give that shows that you have considered all the avenues and can provide for them safely then the more chance that you have of them saying yes..... plus give exact timings of when each child arrives and goes home.

I think that variations are usually given to accomodate siblings or continuity of care so you would prob have to take on the new family then ask ofsted when/if the existing parent asks to change days, and ask for it on the basis of continuity of care.

jenni

mum2two
31-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Ofsted don't 'normally' grant variations for new business (although I know it has happened.)

If it were me, I would take on the baby, as at the moment, it all works ok. If a parent then wants to change a day, then write to ofsted to ask for a variation. They would be more likely to grant it for existing children, as continuity of care.

Thing is, you don't really want to turn away business, then the mum doesn't decide to change a day & you've missed out.

x

Goatgirl
31-01-2011, 05:54 PM
I agree: make sure you have the new child contracted before the change with the other one's hours. If you can illustrate how you will be able to meet everyone's needs they would probably grant the variation, so long as you didn't go over the total under 8 years. That's how I understand it anyway.

Good luck :)

rickysmiths
31-01-2011, 05:59 PM
From the details you have provided I assume that you have 2 under fives written on your Certificate because your dd is also under five.

If you start the new one and when they have started the existing mum wants to extend hours, yes you would usually get a Variation to cover it on grounds of Continuity of Care for the child.

However you have to explain in your application how you would meet the needs of all the individual children in your care. How would you get out if there was an emergency or fire in your home?
You have to detail the resourses you have and the equipment so triple buggy, space and suitable car seats in your car, high chairs, bumbos, bouncy chairs. What sleeping arrangements etc. So you need to think very carefully.
What will you do if you need to go to the lo?

I would say the key question is how well or do the 16mth olds walk? If they don't then being able to deal with three non walkers is very hard to do.

Also what impact will it have on your dd?

They will give such Variations. I have just been granted one for 4 under 5s 2 of whom are under one.

linzi133
01-02-2011, 07:16 AM
I have a variation that allows me 4 under 5's (one of them being my LO). It was for continuation of care, but I knew when I took the family on that I would need one eventually.

My variation was done quite quick....well compared to my last one. It took 10 days from submitting the paperwork online to her ringing.

They do now ask how long you have been minding the children......I guess to check continuation. The one I asked for, I had only been minding for 2 months and was granted without problem.