PDA

View Full Version : OMG kids can get us in SO much trouble...

buzzy bee
31-01-2011, 04:47 PM
It has just dawned on me how vulnerable we are...

My 2 year old mindee just said to me "you smacked me on Friday".

What the?! :panic:

I've made a note of it and will tell his mum when she picks him up but I have to say I'm panicking a little...

Any ideas?

Penny1959
31-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Not as serious as your mindees comment but My mindee said while visiting a childminding friend 'I don't have soap before' (when washing hands) She meant she hadn't had WHITE soap before (mine is blue) :laughing: :laughing:

Penny :)

Pipsqueak
31-01-2011, 05:08 PM
I think you are doing the right thing - record it and mention to parents - just reiterate that cannot and never smack a child etc and that you have recorded it - actually get them to sign it as good measure that you have informed them. If they query it or try to dismiss it - just point out that its good practice as we are in such a vulnerable position.

Then I think we need to have little chats about 'stories' etc.

It is a rather innocent remark from a young child - she could have been smacked by parent or someone else and has gotten mixed up.

My little P age 3 (mindee) tells me all the time mum/dad smacked me...... you don't smack me do you...... are you going to smack me.......

AnnieM
31-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Many years ago I was informed by one of my parents that her 6 year old daughter had informed her that I tied naughty children to the chairs!! :eek: Luckily I also had her 7 year old, much more sensible sister, who told mum it was a load of rubbish. Thankfully, mum new me quite well and was able to see the funny side of it, but we did have to have quite a long chat about telling tales and people (me :o ) getting into trouble when we tell them. :thumbsup:
I hope mum can see that it is just toddler talk. :)

The Juggler
31-01-2011, 05:26 PM
it is scary what they say (and what we don't even know they say about us). deal with it as a recorded incident and speak with mum and reassure her.:)

Newbie1!
31-01-2011, 05:57 PM
He He - I had one last week that said to daddy - "she refused to feed me"!! This was after she had scoffed spag bol and jelly and icecream!! Luckily she said it in front of me so I soon put him straight!!! :panic: :panic:

georgie456
31-01-2011, 06:09 PM
How funny this thread has come up - I had this on Friday!

My full timer threw an almighty tantrum and as he threw himself on the floor he twisted his foot funny. I checked it out, made sure he could move it ok and there was no swelling or anything but he was limping a bit.

I wrote out an accident form for mum and while she was signing it she said in a jokey way to him "what have been doing to yourself this time then 'I'?" and he replied "nothing Georgie did it!"

My face must have been a picture but mum laughed and said "oh don't worry - he tells us all sorts about you! Mostly how you never give him dinner!"

And apparantly at Christmas he swore at the dinner table and when his nan asked who had taught him language like that he told her I did!!!!!

How mortified was I?!?!?!?

jumpinjen
31-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I had this recently and was advised to write it up and ask parents to sign it. then record any other incidents of comments being made so that you haver documentation if anything did come of it (unlikely),

jen x

Alibali
31-01-2011, 06:21 PM
If you're anything like me, you'll still worry even though there's no truth in it. Just a chat with parents should sort it.
I had one who had told her Mum I had put her on the naughty step:eek:
It was evident I hadn't as I don't have and never use a naughty step so would never have said it let alone done it.
I explained to Mum that as per my behaviour management policy on extreme occasions I use time out, and that if I had used it I would inform parents (as I had done before), so she realised it was lo getting mixed up as they used the naughty step at home.

babyface
31-01-2011, 06:39 PM
I had a mindee who finished her meal then her sister(also mindee) gave her her chicken drumstick she had not touched.When mum came to collect she told mum she had been given leftover food to eat.
i also had another mindee who i had all day parents working late.
we spent the day out at activity centre came home afternoon and we did some planned activites at 7.30pm i thought she can have a little time out as poor thing looked exhausted so i said she could watch tv for a 20 minutes (she had school the following day).Dad came to collect at 8pm he asked her what she had been doing today she told him she had been watching tv all day!!!

Adiamond
31-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I have just had a nightmare with this sort of situation..... my full-time mindee M (3) apparently told her mum that my ds (8) said he was going to kill her and guess what?? mum believed her and I know 100% that this wasn't true :eek: I told mum this but she wasn't having any of it!!
Hence I do not mind M anymore :rolleyes:

But she used to tell me some stories what mum and dad get up to :rolleyes: rather tall stories if you ask me!!!! x

xdirtydancerx
31-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Thank god I've not come across this! I do read the cautionary tales though - Don't Tell Lies Lucy is always a favourite. Maybe they take notice?! :laughing:

mushpea
31-01-2011, 08:15 PM
one almost 3yrold mindee of mine tripped over my foot in the hall and banged her head and as we were walking to a friends she looked at me and said,, you hurt my head:eek: i told my friend (another minder) who then asked the child what happend and child said i tripped over and banged my head but i still told mum what she said who thankfylly just laughed
this thread does worry me tho as i look after a 5yrold mindee who lies lots and she could probably go home telling mum alsorts,, she has told mum i shout and i dont but we got to the bottom of it,, mum dosent raise her voice and i said to child infront of mum is this voice my shouting voice (it was a 'dont do that' in stern not shouting voice) and she said yes,, mum she raised her eyes!

teacake2
31-01-2011, 11:36 PM
I have a 2 yr old who is always saying things, he cannot get his head round doing a clapping game, he always tells everyone that I keep hitting him when we play it, luckily mum witnessed it when we showed her the game. He still insisted I was hitting him, I dread to think what could happen if he told the wrong person as it is one of his favourite games.:laughing: :laughing:
Teacake2

sonia ann
31-01-2011, 11:45 PM
had to laugh at this thread.........my almost 2 yr old mindee started smacking his hand and saying "smack! smack! smack!" :eek:
I had to explain to his mum we had been pretending to be crocodiles with arms outstretched, clapping palms together going "snap! snap! snap!" :rolleyes: :) When she asked him what crocodiles did...............he went "smack, smack, smack!"......so relieved:blush:

mummyof3
31-01-2011, 11:56 PM
One of my mindees 10yrs old tells me EVERY day that either her cat has been run over, had a stroke, fainted, collapsed or has died. Every day I wait for a new story :rolleyes: She once told me her grandma had died that weekend. I sat with her while she spoke about her, we read a bereavement book together so imagine my complete shock when grandma collected her the next day :eek: :eek: :eek:

xdirtydancerx
01-02-2011, 12:41 AM
One of my mindees 10yrs old tells me EVERY day that either her cat has been run over, had a stroke, fainted, collapsed or has died. Every day I wait for a new story :rolleyes: She once told me her grandma had died that weekend. I sat with her while she spoke about her, we read a bereavement book together so imagine my complete shock when grandma collected her the next day :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ooo another lo with a morbid curiosity then. :panic:

Helen Dempster
01-02-2011, 07:57 AM
one of my mindees said to me yesterday "I'm going to tell my mummy you hurt me". I have, and never will, hurt any child - minded or my own! I'm going to mention it to her this morning. He's known for telling lies, and I keep telling him how important it is to tell the truth, cos if someone DOES hurt him, nobody is going to believe him.

buzzy bee
01-02-2011, 10:06 AM
He he! Have to say some of these made me chuckle! I spoke to mum about it and she explained why it was (won't go into details but it was completely innocent) so all okay.

They're little monkeys aren't they!?

Mollymop
01-02-2011, 11:24 AM
I had an occasion when I first started minding in 2008 summer holidays when the 4 year old i was minding told me that her mum had said I was like Nanny Mcfee and if she is not good I will come round and lock her in a dungeon!! I was seething especially when she would just come out and say it for no reason "S, I don't want you to lock me in a dungeon!"
Mum denyed it of course:panic: :mad:

kindredspirits
01-02-2011, 11:47 AM
perhaps the mum said that you were like nanny mcphee - ie. childcare - but then the LO decided that nanny mcphee would lock you in a dungeon?!?!?! :rolleyes:

sweets
01-02-2011, 12:28 PM
my 2 year old mindee told her nana that i knocked her over and banged her head, which in truthness i did but she was getting under my feet in my narrow hallway and i accidently turned round and knocked her flying!

a couple of days later she told me that nana had pushed her down the stairs, she told me this in front of nana who agreed with her that she did but it wasn't as dramatic as t sounds as the same had happened, she was getting under nana feet while she was carrying a tray and LO fell down the 2 steps she has going down to her kitchen!

this LO has a habit of having to be there where the action is and is very nosey so is constantly by your legs! :laughing:

singlewiththree
01-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I had a 4yr old tell his parents I shouted all the time and he hated coming to mine, they removed him from my setting. Whenever I attend school functions he smiles and frantically waves at me until I wave back :rolleyes:

Mollymop
01-02-2011, 01:07 PM
perhaps the mum said that you were like nanny mcphee - ie. childcare - but then the LO decided that nanny mcphee would lock you in a dungeon?!?!?! :rolleyes:

lol, no it was "Mummy said you were going to come round if I was bad and lock me in the dungeon under the house! SHe calls you nanny McFea!" her 6 year old sibling agreed! lol:rolleyes:

hayley285
03-12-2011, 02:21 PM
This thread has been a god send as had this last week with a 2 year old telling a mum at toddler group she was crying because I hit her - nothing to do with being taken down from the snack table for pulling the little girl sat next to her hair and tipping juice over her as she had the pink bowl my mindee wanted obviously a stack of witnesses that had seen what had happened but i did get in a right old panick writing it all up as it's only now I've realised how vunerable we are. ~But this thread has help put me at ease and shown me how common it occurs with these little monkeys.

singlewiththree
03-12-2011, 02:57 PM
I had a text last week from a parent saying her child is adamant she has had orange today. I said nope she has only had water in an orange cup!

The same child at footy tots told the man that she had come by car and her mummy had drove. We had walked and her mum doesn't drive or own a car! I made sure I told mum about that one

~Grasshopper~
03-12-2011, 07:02 PM
glad i read this thread, i mind an 8 year old girl who in the last week has accused me of swearing ( i didnt), oh told my own mum id been smoking (i dont and im 30yrs old ***), going through a red light ( it changed to amber as i turned right) and pushing her ( i was leaning over her to get lo out of the car seat as she was in the middle of my 3 door car and i never even touched her. she tells me plently of lies about her parents so i just ignore her silly lies but will be speaking to mum next week.

xx

boxtree7
03-12-2011, 08:06 PM
I had a 8 year old on Thursday - His mum came to collect he wouldn't leave without his sausages, caulifleur and waffle - He told his mum - you don't cook like Claire her food is made and yours comes from Tesco you just don't cook mum !! :littleangel:

zippy
03-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Many years ago I was informed by one of my parents that her 6 year old daughter had informed her that I tied naughty children to the chairs!! :eek: Luckily I also had her 7 year old, much more sensible sister, who told mum it was a load of rubbish. Thankfully, mum new me quite well and was able to see the funny side of it, but we did have to have quite a long chat about telling tales and people (me :o ) getting into trouble when we tell them. :thumbsup:
I hope mum can see that it is just toddler talk. :)

omg, at least it does sound quite ridiculous, what a nightmare they are little monkeys sometimes

miss mopple
03-12-2011, 09:54 PM
walking past the pre school one day one of my mindees said 'and thats where all the aunties put us in our dog crates' :laughing:

snufflepuff
04-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I have a LO who likes to tell tales. She told her Mum that she had cut her leg with some scissors at my house (she hadn't been using scissors.) She once told her Mum that I had made her cry (LO had been perfectly happy all day!) Told me that mummy pushed her in to a wall (Mum said LO tripped and bumped in to a wall, Mum was nowhere near her) and Daddy pushed her down the stairs (they live in a flat, no stairs!) And that my son pushed her off a mountain!!!

I really have to watch her!

blue bear
04-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Little man aged 7 tells lots of 'stories' told me he was really Swedish and called soronitch!!!! He has such an imagination

stardust
05-12-2011, 12:58 PM
lo 6 told me 'mum was on x factor'
i asked what has sung and she said 'moves like jagger'
I asked mum about it and mum had said she had said the same about me.:rolleyes: i will not be appearing on x factor or any other singing show i cant sing, i dont need the nation to tell me that.:D

She also told mum back last week that Ryan's (my son) real mummy and daddy was coming to get him because they want him back.
Mum rang me once the children were in bed and we had a laugh about it. Mum knows E likes to tell tall tales so we just laugh about it. Can you imagion the trouble that could have caused with social services ect and they say children dont lie. I was there for the birth he's definatley mine!:rolleyes: