Hebs
31-01-2011, 02:15 PM
now this is interesting.....

protective clothing; for example aprons but not everyday clothing even if
bought specially for the business

as i thought we could put through clothing if it had a logo :panic:

Pauline
31-01-2011, 02:49 PM
That is the same document as we have in the free downloads.:)

I think we discussed at the time about clothing and Debbie phoned HMRC about it.

MrAnchovy
31-01-2011, 03:13 PM
as i thought we could put through clothing if it had a logo :panic:

The logo makes it not everyday clothing - it turns it into uniform. HMRC should allow uniform that is only worn when working as an allowable expense.

Pauline
31-01-2011, 04:45 PM
The logo makes it not everyday clothing - it turns it into uniform. HMRC should allow uniform that is only worn when working as an allowable expense.

They should but they clearly don't as the document comes from them and makes it very clear that we cannot claim :huh: This is why it gets so confusing for childminders. :(

manjay
31-01-2011, 04:56 PM
my uniform is very protective;)

MrAnchovy
31-01-2011, 05:49 PM
They should but they clearly don't as the document comes from them and makes it very clear that we cannot claim :huh: This is why it gets so confusing for childminders. :(

This is an example of where I believe the NCMA is doing you a disservice. They shouldn't just be telling you you can't claim something because HMRC might disallow it, they should be saying 'yes of course you should be able to claim for uniform with a logo that you only wear to work, there is no law that says you can't and case law has proven that this is an allowable expense for employed people so it should be so for us childminders. Go ahead and claim it, and if HMRC subsequently disallow the claim we will support your appeal as a test case to sort this out'

You pay your NCMA membership - they should promote your interests, not HMRC's.

In my opinion.

sarah707
31-01-2011, 06:02 PM
my uniform is very protective;)

So is mine!

My shirt protects me from paint, clay, all kinds of messy play... my coat protects me from rain :D

Pauline
31-01-2011, 06:26 PM
This is an example of where I believe the NCMA is doing you a disservice. They shouldn't just be telling you you can't claim something because HMRC might disallow it, they should be saying 'yes of course you should be able to claim for uniform with a logo that you only wear to work, there is no law that says you can't and case law has proven that this is an allowable expense for employed people so it should be so for us childminders. Go ahead and claim it, and if HMRC subsequently disallow the claim we will support your appeal as a test case to sort this out'

You pay your NCMA membership - they should promote your interests, not HMRC's.

In my opinion.

Now there is another problem - you don't have to be a member of NCMA to use their agreement, so they wouldn't support everyone. :rolleyes:

Anyway, going back to the printout/pdf, that comes from HMRC itself, not from NCMA, so it is them saying we cannot claim for uniforms, yet like you say in other documentation they say that self-employed people can.

Sorry, not being awkward here but you can see where all the confusion comes from. :panic:

MrAnchovy
31-01-2011, 07:01 PM
HMRC don't say you cannot claim for uniforms, they say you can claim for "protective clothing; for example aprons - not everyday clothing even if bought specially for the business"

But uniforms are not everyday clothing, HMRC's view of what distinguishes a uniform from everyday clothing is here (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM32475.htm).

You see the problem is that on one side there is black, and on the other side white, but in the middle there is a big grey area. HMRC's interpretation of every grey area is obviously biased towards you paying more tax. But as taxpayers you are entitled to pay as little tax as the law allows. Trade associations generally stand up for their members interests but the NCMA seem to think that the only information about tax grey areas that their members should have should come from HMRC.

Pauline
31-01-2011, 10:19 PM
HMRC don't say you cannot claim for uniforms, they say you can claim for "protective clothing; for example aprons - not everyday clothing even if bought specially for the business"

Yes that was me not quoting properly. I was thinking of sweatshirts with logos as 'uniforms' and it would appear from the link that it would be a grey area based on each case: "Fixing a permanent and conspicuous badge to what would otherwise be ordinary clothing may be enough to make it a uniform, but each case must be considered on its merits."

Hebs
31-01-2011, 11:09 PM
well i claim :D

if MP's can have moats i can have a jumper :laughing:

mummyof3
31-01-2011, 11:29 PM
well i claim :D

if MP's can have moats i can have a jumper :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
01-02-2011, 06:44 AM
This came up a while back and I had a meeting with an HMTC inspector. She said that as long as it had a visible logo (not just pen written or stick in a pocket) then you can claim for the clothing and printing

No shoes though