PDA

View Full Version : Is it acceptable to...........

RedDragon
18-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Ask a parent to pay you from when you leave your house.

A parent has asked for childcare - it would mean me picking them up from pre-school at 12 noon. Trouble is I don't have a car and the pre school is between 30 and 45 mins walk (each way :eek:) .

It's 5 days a week - 4 hours per day.

I was happy to do it until September thinking that was when it was until but after saying I had 1 space left I realised the child would be staying there until Sept 09.

So, do you think it would be ok to ask for the fees to start 11:15am?

My friend thinks it's not unreasonable to ask for bus fare (1 way) as well.

Thanks for any replies and hope no-one minds me starting a new thread.

deeb66
18-04-2008, 05:10 PM
I do know of some childminders who do charge from the moment they lkeave the house.

If you are going there solely to pick up their child then I don't see why not as you will have to ensure that you leave home at that time in order to collect their child.

I have never charged for this though only because I have only ever collected from the same school as my son or I as I drop off and collect am paid for the whole time they are at pre-school anyway.

Kelly
18-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I agree that if you are only going to collect the one child it is reasonable to charge from the time you leave the house. I know plenty of childminders that also charge mileage to schools where only one child is collect. I therefore it is also acceptable to ask a preportion of you bus fares are paid (remember also to claim this on you tax return)

Kelly

RedDragon
18-04-2008, 05:17 PM
The child will be the only 1 (from September) that I pick up.

I never charge usually until pick up but because it's going to inconvenience me and I don't think any other childminders have spaces/are willing to walk all that way.

Asked my husband's advice - he said "The exercise will do you good". :censored:

manjay
18-04-2008, 05:22 PM
The child will be the only 1 (from September) that I pick up.

I never charge usually until pick up but because it's going to inconvenience me and I don't think any other childminders have spaces/are willing to walk all that way.

Asked my husband's advice - he said "The exercise will do you good". :censored:

You can always rely on husbands for support!!

I think it is acceptable. It is not as if it is 5 mins each way is it? I have never been in this situation as I will only ever pick up from the school in our village

RedDragon
18-04-2008, 05:30 PM
She is coming for a visit at the weekend so I might suggest a few things.

I could offer her childcare until September

Offer her childcare for 18 months+ but ask her to change pre-school in September

Offer her childcare for 18 months but say she would have to pay the bus fare

I really don't think I could manage it all for 18 months - I'm quite fit (built for comfort not speed) but am thinking about those cold, rainy winter days.

casey's mum
18-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I think you have some great ideas and alternatives to offer her there!
Good luck I hope it all goes well!

Angela xx

Twinkles
18-04-2008, 05:52 PM
I always charge an extra hour if I have to pick up from school or pre-school.
I do drive but I cover the cost of petrol I have to put in my car, plus wear and tear on it , plus the hassle of getting other mindees in car, out of car, into buggy and back in car. ( Can you tell I'm not looking forward to school runs next week :laughing: )

breezy
18-04-2008, 05:59 PM
The kids I pick up from a mornings nursery are usually tired and hungry, so you also need to think about the long walk with a tired ratty hungry child ( even if child's in buggy it's not pleasant!).
If you're willing to do it definately charge, at least then you will get comfort in the fact you're being paid for the time and inconvenience!
hope you work something out :)

crazybones
18-04-2008, 06:05 PM
I didnt charge from when I left the house because I was going anyway to pick up my own children. But more recently I have found myself going just to pick up mindees as my own are doing after school clubs or old enough to walk home alone, so for new mindees I will charge from when I leave the house. There is no way I can start it now for current mindees :rolleyes:

RedDragon
18-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks very much for all your help.:)

At least if I'm honest and upfront with the parent I can't moan later on when I can't change the rules.

cloud9
19-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Ask a parent to pay you from when you leave your house.

A parent has asked for childcare - it would mean me picking them up from pre-school at 12 noon. Trouble is I don't have a car and the pre school is between 30 and 45 mins walk (each way :eek:) .

It's 5 days a week - 4 hours per day.

I was happy to do it until September thinking that was when it was until but after saying I had 1 space left I realised the child would be staying there until Sept 09.

So, do you think it would be ok to ask for the fees to start 11:15am?

My friend thinks it's not unreasonable to ask for bus fare (1 way) as well.

Thanks for any replies and hope no-one minds me starting a new thread.

No i would definately charge from when you leave to collect the child and i would just make sure your fee's cover the bus fare.

RedDragon
19-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks, it's great to get some advice.

My youngest had terrible vomiting last night (it was a cold night, we had a load of blankets on our bed and of course he hit every one of them!) so I phoned the person who wanted the childcare to cancel today's appointment (had very little sleep-and the postman knocked on my door to ask if I would take in a parcel for next door just as I had dropped off).

It will give me time to think what I should do.

Just to add insult to injury, I've been putting all the vomit laden (sorry) bedclothes bit by bit in the wash throughout the day - I decided to have a bath, forgot my towel and asked middle lad to pass me a towel...................

Can you guess the rest?:eek:

Mollymop
19-04-2008, 06:45 PM
I hope your son is ok?
I have in my policies that i will start charging from the moment I leave my house to collect them from pre-school/nursry etc, after all it is only fair, it is still your time.The same with dropping them off at playschool. X

RedDragon
19-04-2008, 07:00 PM
He's still lying on the sofa - he watched Dr Who so is feeling a bit better.

I've given him Calpol and fluids and done the usual checks for rash, light aversion etc.

My middle son is still recovering from the shrieks heard 3 streets down when I realised he had passed me a vomitty towel. :eek:

sarah707
19-04-2008, 10:29 PM
I live about 3 minutes from school so can't justify charging at the moment - but when I was asked to pick up from a pre-school a way away, I said I would charge for the journey time, which I was happy would include petrol costs.

Parents were fine with that. :D

Chimps Childminding
20-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I would charge - although to be honest I am not sure I would be prepared to make that walk every day especially when its cold/wet and you have other children with you, or if the child you are collecting has to walk back its a long walk with a tired/hungry child in tow!:eek:

miffy
20-04-2008, 01:23 PM
I agree with everyone else - I would charge an extra hour and if you can get a bus the bus fare too

Hope your son is feeling better now

miffy xx