PDA

View Full Version : What music do you listen to during the day?

maisiemog
31-01-2011, 10:23 AM
I HATE silence with a passion and need music on but I'm getting a bit fed up of nursery rhymes and disney. Just wondered if you all listen to 'grown up' music??

I have been listening to the glee soundtracks this morning and occasionally put Mamma Mia on. Thats about all there is on my ipod thats not got bad language in it :blush:

Might start listening to the radio but think I am going to go barmy if I dont listen to something I like more often!!!

Mookins
31-01-2011, 10:26 AM
i have the exact same problem...sick theof the nursery ryhmes etc, some people mentioned some african music...mymindees (and me:blush: :o ) like steps...its lively and no bad language and we use up loads of energy boucing around to it....need to go through all my cds to see what else wecan use
xx

Ripeberry
31-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Bollywood bangra music! Lively and it's funny watching my 13 month old mindee trying to bop along to it :D

manjay
31-01-2011, 10:36 AM
I only have music on at set times. Unfortunately I have done too much research which shows that background music has a negative effect on a child's development so this is how I like to run my setting.

We have music sessions and if the children request music we will put some on and listen but I don't have it on all the time.

moogster1a
31-01-2011, 10:38 AM
radio 5 all day for me. i hate hate hate bangra with a passion. find it the most annoying sound ever! maybe close run thing with r and b actually.
As for listening to kiddy stuff all day......

oakie dokie
31-01-2011, 10:56 AM
just listening to Asian Network

Mouse
31-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I only have music on at set times. Unfortunately I have done too much research which shows that background music has a negative effect on a child's development so this is how I like to run my setting.

We have music sessions and if the children request music we will put some on and listen but I don't have it on all the time.

This studying has got a lot to answer for :laughing: I'm the same and now only have background music on in short bursts, or at specific music times. For singing time we'll have nursery rhymes and at other times I'll put Fun Radio on. At sleep/nap time I'll sometimes put on something like 'sounds of the rainforest'.

If you haven't heard Fun Radio before, it's worth checking out

http://www.funkidslive.com/shows/schedule/

AliceK
31-01-2011, 11:26 AM
I have the local radio station on low in the kitchen and the children have a CD player in the playroom, at the moment they love the CBeebies CD's. I only put it on if they ask or if we have a music / dance session. For movement sessions I put on nursery rhymes CD and we all do the actions (tires me out anyway :laughing: )

xxxxxx

snufflepuff
31-01-2011, 11:33 AM

This is interesting. When I used to revise for exams I found I worked much better with music on. Same for writing essays, doing coursework etc.

We listen to allsorts- as long as theres no bad language it's fine. Usually just have it on for dancing/ singing etc though rather than in the background all the time- mainly because my son would ask to listen to either JLS or dingle dangle scarecrow all day long!

kel1983
31-01-2011, 12:42 PM
I love music. I always have background music. Sometimes a cd other times Heart on the radio.

When I had the first visit with my LO's mum she asked me if I have music on at all and I said yes. She was very happy with this as this is something she does at home and the LO loves to dance and sing. The mum is a fan of ACDC :eek: . Not me though. I'm more a Take That fan :clapping:

We do have times where we have nursery rhymes and love to make lots of noise with the musical instruments. I love to annoy the neighbours :thumbsup:

WibbleWobble
31-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Radio two for me....with some nice rock on CD to get us dancing> also have african playground on to dance too.

fave song at the mo is "live and let die" by wings....they all go crazy.

mandy xx

The Juggler
31-01-2011, 02:25 PM

was just going to say the same. I even find it distracts children from talk if it's on in the background at lunchtime.

we have music sessions whenever planned or whenever littlies ask for it on but as soon as they are playing again I turn it off (unless they notice and ask for it back on). we do zumba, have downloaded african, scottish and all sorts, we do ballet to classical music as well as nursery rhymes.:)

Pipsqueak
31-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I will have some 'other' music on occasionally - like Take That of course.... we will have a Mamma Mia boogie.. and I will put on some Classical and do some dancing or movement or even just listen.

Sometimes we have some Rock happening or just the local radio station.

i teach the children some ballet (gives me some practice too) and tap and once the summer gets here might teach them some baton twirling out in the garden! but thats a might!

I don't have background noise all the time though.

sometimes we party - sometimes we are quiet

sweets
31-01-2011, 02:33 PM
i have music on sometimes but it drives me mad after a while and seems to wind me up! lol

im happy to just have silence!

SamBaker
31-01-2011, 02:46 PM
This studying has got a lot to answer for :laughing: I'm the same and now only have background music on in short bursts, or at specific music times. For singing time we'll have nursery rhymes and at other times I'll put Fun Radio on. At sleep/nap time I'll sometimes put on something like 'sounds of the rainforest'.

If you haven't heard Fun Radio before, it's worth checking out

http://www.funkidslive.com/shows/schedule/

I can't get this to work, :( Not sure if theres a problem with the site at the moment?

AnnieM
31-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I have a few playlists on my iPod, one is putumayo world music ( I have African playground, reggae playground, French playground, carribbean playground, Asian dreamland, reggae dreamland, Latin playground) one is childrens songs which is a mix of the above and lots of nursery songs, but they are quite pleasant sounding, not horrible tinny ones! :panic: I also have a lullaby playlist and a classical playlist with classic fm baby and the baby Mozart, Bach, Strauss etc. I really enjoy listening to them. :blush: Does that make me incredibly sad!! :p

xdirtydancerx
31-01-2011, 03:34 PM
i teach the children some ballet (gives me some practice too) and tap

I love teaching the kids tap and ballet. I have a little box with teeny tiny shoes in now. They love it :thumbsup:

Doofuz
31-01-2011, 08:16 PM
If you like musicals, try Grease and West Side Story. The children I used to nanny for always requested these and were forever asking questions about them. As long as there isn't any bad words or references to bad behaviour, we used to listen to it.

Pixie dust
31-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by manjay

We have music sessions and if the children request music we will put some on and listen but I don't have it on all the time

Me too.. I recently attended some communication training where we had to do an activity while background music was being played. It was very difficult to carry out the task and made me think about how the children must feel.It is even harder for some children with additional needs.

Donkey
31-01-2011, 08:33 PM
strange!!!

part of the fccers assessment was that children listen to a wide variety of music

we dont have it on all the time but we have radio 2, czech radio, czech nursery rhymes, used to be galaxy but has been taken over by capital... :( kiss fm, radio 1...

some of the older ones like mtv so we will sometimes have music tv channels on but not too sure of the cencorship!!!

Pixie dust
31-01-2011, 09:45 PM
strange!!!

part of the fccers assessment was that children listen to a wide variety of music

There is nothing wrong with children listening to music but I believe the issue is with when its played constantly as background noise with no real purpose.

mufftie
31-01-2011, 10:22 PM
i have polish rmf baby radio on , the kids love it and i get to try out my listening skills of the polish language , and upstairs i have local radio on 24 / 7 as i hate silence

shoot me down for saying this but research can be wrong and very often is and i dont believe that listening to background music can be harmful

Pipsqueak
31-01-2011, 10:47 PM
ishoot me down for saying this but research can be wrong and very often is and i dont believe that listening to background music can be harmful

as with any and all research there are going to be differences of opinion and of course research can be wrong - however you are talking about huge scale, long running pieces of research - peer reviewed. Not to mention - regardless of research we will choose, often, to apply certain aspects that are 'suitable' to ourselves.

that said - there is evidence to point to that a constant background noise is not allowing children to learn to distingish other, often environmental sounds. Its not allowing them to 'tune in' - essential for developing good listening skills, recognising other tones etc.

When I am studying I cannot work in silence - I need some background. Normally through my mp3. The visual of the tv distracts me but music helps me focus in but I believe this is my background in dancing that aids this.

ajs
31-01-2011, 11:02 PM
my little ones ( siblings )are currentlyhooked on madagascar and thelittle one asked me for new york new york this afternnon so i put the original Frank Sinatra on and we all danced around to that