PDA

View Full Version : Carbon monoxide alarms?

MaffAnna
31-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Hi!

Just when I think I'm sorted and I know what I'm doing, something else pops up! Are we required to have carbon monoxide alarms? If so is it one in each room with a gas appliance? This would cost me over £100 so I don't want to splash out if it's unnecessary. Also I have the fires / boiler serviced regularly, does this make a difference?

Thank you!

Cammie Doodle
31-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Don't think it is a requirement . British Gas fitted mine when they serviced my boiler and they only fitted one , hope that helps?

LittleStar's
31-01-2011, 09:05 AM
I don't have any xx

heidicat
31-01-2011, 10:40 AM
not sure if they're needed but my smoke alarm downstairs is a speaking one - says "fire fire " along with the loud beeps when I burn toast (!) and it also says "warning - carbon monoxide" and then beeps, if there is ever any - although thankfully only ever heard it when I test it.

Its by Kidde - about £20. Maybe worth a shot if you're worried...

rickysmiths
31-01-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't think you have to have them but it does help that appliances are regularly seviced but doesn't stop a carbon monoxide leak.

Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer because you can't see it or smell it. It is advisable to have a dectector in every room where there is a gas appliance.

We have a £30 audable alarm near the boiler which is in constant use. You can get ones for around a fiver that have a spot on them that changes colour if there is any Carbon Monoxide. We had one of these stuck to the side of the gas fire in our living room as it was hardly used.

If you have a gas appliance in a sleeping area then it is a very good idea to have an audable one.

Remember if you wouldn't have them for your own family then 100% of the cost can go in your expenses if you buy them for childminding.

I know things like this seem expensive but how much is a life worth?

Aimi-jo
31-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't think you have to have them but it does help that appliances are regularly seviced but doesn't stop a carbon monoxide leak.

Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer because you can't see it or smell it. It is advisable to have a dectector in every room where there is a gas appliance.

We have a £30 audable alarm near the boiler which is in constant use. You can get ones for around a fiver that have a spot on them that changes colour if there is any Carbon Monoxide. We had one of these stuck to the side of the gas fire in our living room as it was hardly used.

If you have a gas appliance in a sleeping area then it is a very good idea to have an audable one.

Remember if you wouldn't have them for your own family then 100% of the cost can go in your expenses if you buy them for childminding.

I know things like this seem expensive but how much is a life worth?

Not so long ago This morning did a piece about carbon monoxide being a 'silent killer'. Horrible story how a woman lost her son and granparents.
If you look on there website im sure they will have the alarms they were showing. No more than £20.
Im quite lucky they came with our new house but if they didnt i would definately be getting one, if not for possible mindee's for my own family :thumbsup:

candy cat
31-01-2011, 01:48 PM
mine cost less than £20 quid

wendywu
31-01-2011, 04:58 PM
I have one in with my boiler. I am under the British Gas insurance who also service the bolier once a year included in this plan. :)

rickysmiths
31-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Hi!

Just when I think I'm sorted and I know what I'm doing, something else pops up! Are we required to have carbon monoxide alarms? If so is it one in each room with a gas appliance? This would cost me over £100 so I don't want to splash out if it's unnecessary. Also I have the fires / boiler serviced regularly, does this make a difference?

Thank you!

You might want to look at this link. Go to page 122 of the interactive catalouge. The detectors here are the colour changing spot ones and are £7.50 for 2.

http://www.main-book.co.uk/