PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start with my vegetable patch?

buzzy bee
30-01-2011, 09:23 PM
I currenntly have a flower bed which I want to completely dig up and then start a vegetable patch, but have no idea what I need - any special type of compost? What vegetables can I grow - can any not be grown in close proximity etc etc.

Any advice would be very welcome!!

The Juggler
30-01-2011, 09:46 PM
potatoes and carrots are good. slugs always get my peas and beans.

lettuces and rocket grow well and radishes and spring onions and they grow nice and quickly too.

you can also get cherry toms to grow in hanging baskets that are really easy.:)

Ripeberry
30-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I've always planted potatoes on new ground as it turns the earth over and breaks up the soil.
Runner beans are good as well to get some nitrogen in the soil.

sweets
30-01-2011, 09:55 PM
have a think and write down all the veg that your family likes.

go to the garden centre and look at the back of seed packets and it will tell you exactly how and when to plant them.

potatoes are easy but they do take up a lot of room as do things like cabbages, broccolli and cauli.

you can use any multi purpose compost and maybe get a bag of manure to mix in with it.

salad is good to start with as they are fast growing, cut and come again lettuce is good but you will lose some to slugs but just plant more than you need.

carrots are easy too but take a few months to grow, depending how big you want them.

good luck :thumbsup:

jumpinjen
31-01-2011, 08:08 AM
You can find dried 'nematodes' on the web and at garden centres..... mix with water and water your veg patches with it and you will get rid of slugs in an organic way with no pesticides.....

as for veg...... we sow carrot seeds thickly in about a 6cm wide stripe rather than a single row and then pull them as they fill out for baby carrot snacks..... snap peas are also gobbled up straight off the plant by the children.... peas grow easily and are good for little fingers to plant as big.....

start a compost heap for kitchen veg scraps and garden trimmings and next year you will have lovely rich compost to dig into your soila nd improve it!

radishes and lettuce are quite satisfying to grow too as they are quite quick.... and don't forget a pumpkin plant... you can plant it at the edge of the bed and let the stem and leaves wander off across the grass if you like... kids love to grow pumpkins!!

Jen x