PDA

View Full Version : Honest Anwers Please x

karenjoy
18-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Can those of you on here with your own youngsters tell me how it is when you are on the school run etc??

Eldest girls school is only a ten minute walk away but I am just begining to think about the school run and when I will have more kids in tow too!!!!

donnahay0
18-04-2008, 03:45 PM
You need to set clear boundaries for this.

One of my rules is no scooters or bikes as it is a nightmare trying to stop the children knocking smaller children on route over. The other one is to make sure the pre-schoolers either have a harness or hold your hand. The older ones need to keep a reasonable distance and must stop when you call out for them to do so.

I would do a risk assessment which will pinpoint any particular areas of concern (crossing of roads etc).

Tatia
18-04-2008, 03:47 PM
I refer to my school run as the "insane wagon train". Lovingly, of course.:) I am very often pushing a double buggy with another lo hanging on the back like a monkey and 3 or 4 after-schoolers screaming their heads off with joy for being out of school. It's taken me a long time to train them that they cannot run off, can only go so far ahead of me (we travel back streets so safe and not busy roads and only the older ones) and that they must stop immediately should I say so. I am pondering a whistle which a few minder friends carry on their school runs.

It can be hectic as I have to make sure I get back in time to meet several children who arrive by taxi and the school I pick up from does not make a habit of coming out on time.:angry:

School pick up is easily the most stressful part of my day but it's manageable if you are firm and consitent with the rules.

donnagwynne
18-04-2008, 03:52 PM
and allow plenty of time to get there!!! Little children walking independently can take a while, I have a double buggy and sometimes use it just for expediency. Parents won't be happy if their children are late for school. I don't use restraints on my two three years old, I prefer to encourage their independence. But it has taken me a while to be able to trust that they will not go onto the road. Fortunately my school run is very short and there are no major hazards.

Picking up from nursery is much more leisurely. I do sometimes take scooters and dolls prams with me, they love being out of doors and the fresh air on the way home is usually enough, particularly on a day like today when it is too cold to go the park.

Donna

manjay
18-04-2008, 04:10 PM
You have to set very clear boundaries. Today I have picked up 5 from school, a 4 year old, a 5 year old, a 7 year old and two eight year olds. I also had two 1 year olds in the double buggy and a 3 year old. My older ones are really good and like the responsibility of looking after the younger ones. They know how far in front of the buggy they are allowed to go and the know the consequences of breaking the rules. Have to say I was very dubious about being out with this many children but I can honestly say I haven't had any problems

Saz
18-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Ditto to all the above. I havent started minding yet but have 4 of my own children all quite young. Littlest in buggy, 4yr old holding buggy, 5 & 6 yr old walk a few paces ahead of me (I spend lots of time running them over with buggy when they stop to tell me something about their day:blush: ).

Set rules from day one!

karenjoy
18-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Ok thanks Ladies, some really good ideas there!!, Its only a 10 min walk but the roads are very busy and I am stressting about it already!!!

angeldelight
18-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Some good advice from everyone Karen

You will soon get used to it and get your own routine together so dont worry

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
18-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Ditto to all the above. I havent started minding yet but have 4 of my own children all quite young. Littlest in buggy, 4yr old holding buggy, 5 & 6 yr old walk a few paces ahead of me (I spend lots of time running them over with buggy when they stop to tell me something about their day:blush: ).

Set rules from day one!

hehe I'm also guilty of catching the back of legs:o

Blaze
18-04-2008, 06:44 PM

Set rules from day one!

LOL...my older ones have learnt that if they stop they'll get run over by the buggy!:blush:
I have wrist straps attached to the pram that independant walkers use...that way I have hands free & don't have kittens that they will run in the road. (Also a great deterent for older ones to stick to my rules...if they don't they go on a wrist strp with the little ones)!;)
Blaze:D

Lou
18-04-2008, 06:46 PM
LOL...my older ones have learnt that if they stop they'll get run over by the buggy!:blush:
I have wrist straps attached to the pram that independant walkers use...that way I have hands free & don't have kittens that they will run in the road. (Also a great deterent for older ones to stick to my rules...if they don't they go on a wrist strp with the little ones)!;)
Blaze:D

yep i do the same its a good threat x

karenjoy
19-04-2008, 01:55 PM
LOL saw some in the shops today so will get sme ready!!!

Jinx
19-04-2008, 04:24 PM

I've now threatened to fix an electrofied cattle prong onto the front of the buggy!!!!!
:D :D

Jinx x

Mollymop
19-04-2008, 06:49 PM
To be honest I am not looking forward to this part of the job, i have seen a few childminders up the school and they look like they are having a horrid time of it some days. They have double buggies and kids hanging on and some running ahead and they have to shout out to them. I think to myself, ohhh no that will be me soon X

Schnakes
19-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Im just wondering something, which Manjays post reminded me. My Ofsted registration stipulates that I cant have over five children on the premises at any one time...is this the same for everyone else? Also,does that include over 8s????

Sx

Tatia
20-04-2008, 09:32 AM
No, it only includes under 8s (the OFSTED reg). I can only have 5 mindees under 8, too because my DD takes up the 6th place. My insurance stipulates I can have 12 children, which would include all of them, no matter the age.

I've found a very, very, very effective threat and I use it liberally when needed. An older child would rather die than have to walk next to you, holding onto buggy. :D So guess what?! ;) It does work.

Twinkles
20-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Can those of you on here with your own youngsters tell me how it is when you are on the school run etc??
Eldest girls school is only a ten minute walk away but I am just begining to think about the school run and when I will have more kids in tow too!!!!

All strapped firmly into car seats :thumbsup:

miffy
20-04-2008, 01:37 PM
I agree with the others Karen - you need to be firm and set clear boundaries but you'll soon get it sorted

miffy xx

Eagles4ever
02-05-2008, 07:29 PM
I've got wrist straps on the buggy which I "threaten" to use - so far haven't needed to.

I make all the walkers walk in front of the buggy so I can see them and they do keep walking otherwise they'll get run over.

I don't actually find it that stressful even on Thursdays when I've got 9 of them to walk home. The bit I don't like is when they all try and get through the front door at the same time and just dump their shoes and bags on the hall floor, even though they are told every day to put them in the big box which is there for that purpose!

NikNak
02-05-2008, 07:59 PM
After reading this thread it makes me feel a hell of a lot better. Pre and after school is by far the most stressful part of the day! I HATE IT! I ALWAYS use wrist srtaps attached to the buggy now without fail. I have had some horrible experiences when we havent used them. Its just not worth the risk and stress of worrying about the road. I have also resorted to bribery(sweets!shock horror I know)! Its amazing what a lollipop can do to to keep them quiet at school. (Thats for the pre schoolers whilst we wait for the older ones to come out of classes).Also sticker charts work well with rewards as an incentive.

The main thing to think about on the school run is safety.x