PDA

View Full Version : Very nearly fell for it :(

Newbie1!
30-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Ive today had an email from "HMRC" explaining that as a result of my recently completing tax forms that I am eligible for a refund of £240. It asked me to complete my details and press return and the refund would be processed. It was sooooo perfect, had full name and contact details of my tax office rep, lots of reference numbers, contact phone numbers, even a link to hmrc website!!!

Im normally really good at spotting fake emails but really couldnt see any floor with this so was getting a tiny bit excited inside!!

Then Im reading the form you are supposed to complete and it asks for bank details (now this did ring a few alarm bells but carry on reading nonetheless)

In tiny print under the "Please insert your bank account number here" section it said - "by entering your bank account number you are authorising us to DEBIT your account with £240"..........Arrrggghhhh.

Please be careful peeps, bet these will be doing the rounds soon :angry: :angry:

sarah707
30-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Oh what a nasty little email :(

Thank you for the warning x

miffy
30-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Glad you spotted it!

That would have been a blow

Miffy xx

Pauline
30-01-2011, 05:30 PM
These things have been doing the rounds for a few years,

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=62295

I think anything regarding getting money should be viewed very cautiously! :( Glad you were not caught out :)

Pixie dust
30-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Well done for spotting it. They seem to be getting better and better at making this e-mails look genuine. I had one from HSBC well supposedly saying I needed to up date my details otherwise I wouldn't be able to use my account it too had a link to HSBC but it was a phising email after my details :angry:

Chimps Childminding
30-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Well done for spotting it. They seem to be getting better and better at making this e-mails look genuine. I had one from HSBC well supposedly saying I needed to up date my details otherwise I wouldn't be able to use my account it too had a link to HSBC but it was a phising email after my details :angry:

I often have those!!! Not worried when I get them from banks I don't even have an account with :D but always a bit worried if it is my bank, or AOL asking me to update my records :rolleyes: Work on the theory that if it is important they will get hold of me one way or another :thumbsup:

aly
30-01-2011, 06:03 PM
doesn'tit tell you if you are owed money when you enter your tax return?..I know it told me straightaway if I owed tax so assumed it wold if they owed you too??

Pixie dust
30-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I
often have those!!! Not worried when I get them from banks I don't even have an account with but always a bit worried if it is my bank, or AOL asking me to update my records Work on the theory that if it is important they will get hold of me one way or another

Yes thats what I think too...HSBC is my bank which is why it made me think for a second .

charlie potato
30-01-2011, 06:07 PM
One simple rule folks - the banks and HMRC will never ask for you to submit your private details by email. HMRC do also like you to forward the fraudulant email to them. xx

smellyellie
30-01-2011, 06:10 PM
i got 1 today from hmrc aswell £246 was getting all excited :(

flowerpots
30-01-2011, 06:11 PM
thanks for the warning hun, glad you weren't caught out :thumbsup:

shazsull
30-01-2011, 06:22 PM
ive had that to a few months ago ,they do look real i bet people do get caught

AnnieM
30-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I got one last week and mine was £240 too. :angry: I should have forwarded it on, but I just deleted it immediately. I am always getting the ones from HSBC, luckily I don't have a HSBC account so just delete them without opening. :thumbsup:

Lick'le Oakes
30-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Interesting, I got one today for £244, was so closed to getting excited and booking a weekend away!! Will now forward it to HRMC as I didn't realise I should do this, thanks

mufftie
30-01-2011, 10:24 PM
thanks for the warning , not had one but its good to keep in the back of your mind that they are about

phoebe-alice
30-01-2011, 11:40 PM
I had the email too. I've started to ignore all emails like that I only trust official letters through the post as I know how many of these emails are going round.
Would be lovely to get some money returned hehe, if only. :rolleyes:

mrsmaggy
31-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the warning, I have alot of spam emails from HSBC saying my account will be shut down if I dont click on the link - Im not even with them :laughing: