PDA

View Full Version : Homework from a nursery for just 3 year old??

jumpinjen
30-01-2011, 03:43 PM
My friend's little girl has just started at her funded nursery pre-school place and is bringing home 'homework' in a little bag, consisting of letter and number writing sheets and a whiteboard and pen to do the same, as well as some counting and pre-maths sheets...... I was gobsmacked..... isn't the EYFS supposed to be play-based until year one?? Her daughter hasn't got the fine motor control to write letters yet and I can't see the value..... but is this normal practice? do all nurseries do it??

jen x

merry
30-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Our local pre-school sends home a laminated nursery rhyme song and asks parents to sing it with their children, and arrange the picture cards based on it in the correct order, but it's not homework as such, more an activity parents can share with their child if they want to.

:)

mrs_scottydog
30-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Surely that's a bit young? I thought you only got homework at school and even then it's only reading. Haven't any experience of nurseries or preschools so I'm probably wrong. Hx

babs
30-01-2011, 04:52 PM
2 preschoolers i have came home last thursday with letter writing sheets and to find things around the house that begin with the letter S... one is into it other one well goes over her head think shes to young myself we will see how it goes, ive asked nursery for sheets to so i know what they are doing...( working with them):p

Mrs.L.C
30-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a way of them trying to work with parents. A pre school that we collect from have just sent a letter out to parents asking them if they would like homework sent home

rickysmiths
30-01-2011, 06:11 PM
I have pre schoolers and tey start to get 'homework' when they are four and at the age they could go to a Nursery Class at a school but when these aren't available the children can stay at pre-school until they go into reception.

I think it is a way to show they are working with parents and to engage the parents in their childrens learning. As others have said it should be fun.

I would not expect to be sent writing practice home at this stage though it is far to young. If the parent chooses to do it that is their choice. We as cms may if a child shows an interest.

My own childrens playgroup which they went to from 2yrs 9mth to 4yrs had a writing activity out evry day for the children who were interested and some were able to write their names when they went into nursery and some couldn't. It didn't matter.

flowerpots
30-01-2011, 06:15 PM
i think its beginning to be normal practice now, my ds (3) gets homework every but its usually something quite fun that we can just sit and do together, he actually looks forward to it now :D

sweets
30-01-2011, 06:43 PM
crikey a bit young!

what happens if they dont do it!

detention? :laughing:

babs
30-01-2011, 09:56 PM
crikey a bit young!

what happens if they dont do it!

detention? :laughing:

will find out tomorrow ive got one that will one that won't...:eek:

jumpinjen
31-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Oh not too unusual then..... I can see the point of 'activities' to do together at home but found the whole idea of letter sheets at this age frankly quite depressing!

jen x

angeldelight
31-01-2011, 08:13 AM
My daughters both work in a nursery

They give out homework to encourage the parents to get involved with their children - and so they understand more about EYFS

Some do it some do not

I think it is normal practise now

Angel xx

LittleStar's
31-01-2011, 09:11 AM
my daughter started school in september, the last 2 terms of preschool she got a little folder with a book and an activity sheet to do, she really enjoyed doing it.

My 2 and a half year old has just started preschool this term and has so far had a house to colour the door same as ours and some nursery rhyme's to learn and colouring sheets.

tracey36
31-01-2011, 09:42 AM
iv never hear of nursery age children bringing homework home surley some wont be at that stage yet

Mcgons
31-01-2011, 10:52 AM
The pre-school one of mindee's goes to sends 'homework' home with the children, but like others have said, it's more like play activities to do with along with parents. I think it's a way of them having parents input into the learning journeys too.

mummyMia
01-02-2011, 02:34 PM
ds brings a story book home from the nursery each week for me to read with him. He also has a homework book, but so far the only homework has been to practice putting on his own jumper, coat and shoes.

Mollymop
01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I thikn it is just a way for the pre-school to show they are working with the parents like next steps etc. I am sure they are not made to do any work at home.
If it were me I would actually enjoy sitting with my dd and doing some work with her.
I used to do writing skills, those pre-school maths made easy books, etc at home when she was at pre-school age - I think it gives the little ones a head start and I think as long as the child enjoys it I am all for it. My dd now nearly 7 is a very clever little girl because of all the extra activities we used to do and still do now. (I am a bit of a pushy parent though with her:blush: But she loves me for it and enjoys it! lol)